Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    any idea what the answer to this is... 'describe the genetic difference between sister and non-sister chromatids'
    sister chromatids are from the same chromosomes while non sister chromatids is one from maternal and one from the paternal usually found during metaphase 2 where they line up.

(Original post by Princess_perfect786)
    what is a clade and what is cladistic?
    Cladistics is a type of hieracrchial classification of species based on evolutionary ancestery, it focuses more on methods of phylogenetic relationship based on the explicit assumption that a set of sequences evolved from a common ancestor by a process of mutation and selection without mixing (hybridization or other horizontal gene transfers).
    from my notes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by heartskippedabeat)
    :cry2:
    I've set 7 different alarms to ensure I sleep 5-6hrs! in 12 days it'll all be over...I'm aware some of my friends will be doing Jan12 papers as they underestimated the demands of A2...lets pray it is a nice paper...although the examiners report did say no scripts got above 90, which was seen in the Jun10 exam. Jan session usually has more people retaking, whilst alot of centres do the F215 in Jun.

Just go through each spread of the textbook...make notes on the spec...read and re-read until you know it If only it was February again and come exam time it would be possible to have reviwed every past paper ahh

ReputationRep:
    A2 Papers...alot of questions are in different units...but stll very much so relevant...if only there was time to attempt them all ah 26hours and it'll be time to sit this paper!

http://www.mediafire.com/?4qw4q5v7zb5pivn

ReputationRep:
    OUTLINE THE PROCESS INVOLVED IN GENETIC ENGINEERING OF RICE....

If i write this....the two genes from daffodil and one from bacterium eriwina urefovora were inserted in to TI plasmids and taken up by the bacterium agrobacterium tumefaciens. This introduced the genes into rice embryo.The resultin rice plants produced seeds wita beta carotene in the endosperm, which is yellow. Vitamin A can be produced in our bodies from beta carotene...is that an acceptable answer? or am i missing anything imporant??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    I WAS CONFIDENT FOR DAYS ND THEN REALISIED THAT EVEN IF I DO WELL IN THIS EXAM OR DO OK ... I STILL HAVENT STARTED MY REVISION FOR UNIT 4! i did it in jan and got a High C and all my teachers were saying 2 me 2 get it remarked but i didnt... my friend got the exact same grade and got it remarked and got a A only he told me after the deadline had passed! wish i attempted tht remark! getting an A/A* in bio is freaking annoying work!
    Don't worry, just concentrate on this unit today and tomorrow morning, it's worth a lot more than f214. I haven't started my revision for unit 4 either, but try not to think about it too much until this exams over otherwise you'll just get yourself worked up You could start looking over the first topic of f214 though because they could easily link to neurones for the synoptic part of this, with neuromuscular junctions and stuff.
    have you worked out what ums you need to get an A overall? it might not be as bad as you think
    that's annoying about the remark, but you never know, your grade could've not changed or even gone down, theres no point in worrying about it now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    I've set 7 different alarms to ensure I sleep 5-6hrs! in 12 days it'll all be over...I'm aware some of my friends will be doing Jan12 papers as they underestimated the demands of A2...lets pray it is a nice paper...although the examiners report did say no scripts got above 90, which was seen in the Jun10 exam. Jan session usually has more people retaking, whilst alot of centres do the F215 in Jun.

Just go through each spread of the textbook...make notes on the spec...read and re-read until you know it If only it was February again and come exam time it would be possible to have reviwed every past paper ahh
    Haha, yeah i stayed up revising til half 5 last night but i'll definitely be getting some sleep tonight! yeah i really hope its an okay paper, i dont want to have to resit
    ahh i wish i'd started revising earlier.. although it feels like ive been revising for this forever hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mobs25)
    I WAS CONFIDENT FOR DAYS ND THEN REALISIED THAT EVEN IF I DO WELL IN THIS EXAM OR DO OK ... I STILL HAVENT STARTED MY REVISION FOR UNIT 4! i did it in jan and got a High C and all my teachers were saying 2 me 2 get it remarked but i didnt... my friend got the exact same grade and got it remarked and got a A only he told me after the deadline had passed! wish i attempted tht remark! getting an A/A* in bio is freaking annoying work!
    i'm retaking unit 4 as well. got a b in jan but i thought if i do bad in unit 5 but get really good marks in unit 4 then i can get an a overall. finished all of unit 4 revision apart from respiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sportycricketer)
    Thats exactly what I know! Thanks anyway! But yeah like the person above has mentioned I was thinking if we ned to know about those 2 genes, hopefully I wont have to learn anything NEW today!
    Yes very true, today for me is just more past questions and a review,

Good luck tomorrow lets hope all this revision pays off! :rolleyes:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Does anyone feel like a large compare and contrast of batch and continuous processes will come up? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kidms001)
    Does anyone feel like a large compare and contrast of batch and continuous processes will come up? :ninja:
    That sounds like a decent question to be honest

ReputationRep:
    im betting on a 15 marker about the Galapagos....just a feeling.

Also, dont get what we actually need to know on DRD4...? :/

ReputationRep:
    What is scary is that they could include so much in this paper, but a LOT of topics will be missed out. I guess some luck is needed so that the desired topic comes up. so, GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone managing their revision? Sleepless nights? F215 is your all time favourite module in all your exams this Summer? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    ok I give up I have a stats exam in the am so need to go and get some papers done for that and will be back after lunch time, but before I go
    anyone wanna try a few questions?
    1) explain why very wet soils are usually nitrogen deficient. 2marks
    2) explain the process of succession in a system of sandunes, or in an area you have studied. 4marks
    3) explain why many would prefer the use of biological pest control as preferable to application of insecticides. 5 marks
    4) Explain what is meant by the term succession. 4 marks
    5) Explain how a fermenter allows continuous culture of chlorella. 6 marks
    6) Outline the process of cloning plants from tissue culture 6 marks
    All for sport

ReputationRep:
    what do we need to know about Galapagos then?:
    - we brought goats over who competed with the tortoises for grass, leading to soil erosion and trampling of tortoise habitats
    - cats and rats were brought over as new predators
    - we accidently introduced diseases like bird flu
    - we brought red quinine trees which out-competed native species so much that they have essentially taken over
    - tourism has led to urbanisation and destruction of habitats etc and massive human population increase
    - over-exploitation of marine fishing
    - oil spill had adverse affects on coastal ecosytem

things we have done to prevent further damage:
    - instigated a quarantine programme to search boats/tourists for foreign species
    - goat cullings poor goaties
    - galapagos marine reserve shows the co-operation of local fishermen, tourist industry, government and naturalist guides

ReputationRep:
    Autotrophic nutrition is photosynthesis - in F214 it is Synoptic! Anyone learnt the Nitrogen cycle - nitrification?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polzeath.sunset)
    im betting on a 15 marker about the Galapagos....just a feeling.

Also, dont get what we actually need to know on DRD4...? :/
    I hope so!
    The spec just says 'discuss how the links between a range of human behaviours and the dopamine receptor DRD4 may contribute to the understanding of human behaviour', so i'm not sure really, but it came up (a bit indirectly but still) in june 2010 so hopefully it wont be in this paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ekta9)
    Thanks that makes it simplier. I was wondering that would we not have to know the main genetic engineering process for it though as thats what the spec states? For example the 2 genes (Phy and Crt) would have to be inserted in the rice genome.. and all of that plasmids stuff etc?

Also who thinks plants will come up?!
    You need to be able to outline the process involved in the genetic engineering of the golden rice, as in 2 extra enzymes are inserted into the genome, but the way in which thats done is not written in the book in detail, so if it was to ask you how do you genetically engineer golden rice, refer to the genetic engineering process of insulin, and instead of saying the mRNA of insulin is taken, refer to the genes coding for the 2 enzymes being placed in vectors etc. because an examiners note said that the genetic engineering process is not just used for insulin but you may be asked how other proteins are genetically engineered like renin which was in a past paper not sure wether it was jun10 or jan11

Hope this helps, i wouldnt worry too much about the way in which the enzymes are inserted into the rice genome, just remember that the genes for the enzymes were placed in the rice genome close to a specific promotor sequence that switches on the genes for endosperm development.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by intellectual1)
    Autotrophic nutrition is photosynthesis - in F214 it is Synoptic! Anyone learnt the Nitrogen cycle - nitrification?
    Isn't nitrification when the ammionium ions are converted into nitrites by nitrosomonas and then, the nitrites are converted into nitrates by nitrobacters?

I could be wrong as i haven't looked oover it..... which i should do now....

ReputationRep:
    How would people go about answering this?
    'Outline the steps involved sequencing the genome of an organism'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2012

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.