The Student Room Group

How difficult is medicine/dentistry?

Hi,

I was wondering how difficult you would say these courses are. It would be helpful for some current students to tell us approx. how many hours per week they spend both at uni and studying.

To give us people still at school a better idea it would be helpful if you compared your course's difficulty to your A-levels / Highers.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Bump.
How hard is a piece of string?

No... wait...
It's a piece of piss. you just cure cancer all day.
Reply 5
Original post by ritchie888
How hard is a piece of string?

No... wait...

Obviously no one can give a definative answer, that is why I only asked for an approximation.
Reply 6
Hopefully not very.........

Though forgive me if I'm not overly optimistic.
Both degrees are difficult, but the hardest part is getting in.

A person described it in a excellent way to me. She said that it is like climbing a mountain and after that it is just a bumpy ride.

Obviously, climbing the mountain is like getting into medicine/dentistry and a bumpy ride is when you are actually in the course, as you will face a few obstacles along the way.
its very hard....

but more because you have so much stuff to learn....

as opposed to the difficulty of the actual content
Reply 9
Original post by phill232
Hopefully not very.........

Though forgive me if I'm not overly optimistic.

Somehow I dont think so.... :tongue:
Reply 10
Original post by infernalcradle
its very hard....

but more because you have so much stuff to learn....

as opposed to the difficulty of the actual content

Are you studying medicine or dentistry?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by dentistry1
Somehow I dont think so.... :tongue:

Well no harm in thinking positive anyway it's what I want so bad. Anyone who can get past the admissions system is fit for anything, and after all thousands do it every year; almost 9000 UK medical graduates every year.
Are you studying medicine or dentistry?

will be doing medicine in september.....
Reply 13
Well no harm in thinking positive anyway it's what I want so bad. Anyone who can get past the admissions system is fit for anything, and after all thousands do it every year; almost 9000 UK medical graduates every year.

I know what you mean. I've heard 60% of medicine applicants get no offers. Dentistry is probably about the same.
Reply 14
Original post by infernalcradle
will be doing medicine in september.....

will be doing dentistry in september..... :smile:
Pre-clinicals are only hard if you aren't good at self-motivating.
Reply 16
I know what you mean. I've heard 60% of medicine applicants get no offers. Dentistry is probably about the same.

yeah 22000 applications for 9000 places, im damn lucky to have one, now just on final set of exams...........

I think dentistry is much more competitive as there are less places and still an awful lot of applicants. I hope other future medics wont be annoyed at me saying its tougher for dentists.
Reply 17
it must be the work load that makes medicine/dentistry hard. It's not so much the conceptual difficulty

a maths/engineering degree probably has less work load but more conceptual difficulty etc
Reply 18
yeah 22000 applications for 9000 places, im damn lucky to have one, now just on final set of exams...........

I think dentistry is much more competitive as there are less places and still an awful lot of applicants. I hope other future medics wont be annoyed at me saying its tougher for dentists.

i agree.
Reply 19
Hi,

I was wondering how difficult you would say these courses are. It would be helpful for some current students to tell us approx. how many hours per week they spend both at uni and studying.

To give us people still at school a better idea it would be helpful if you compared your course's difficulty to your A-levels / Highers.

Really you can expect medicine to be more demanding than other courses but it requires different skills from you than other courses.:smile:

Your mental endurance and motivation will be tested during pre-clinical years and your academic ability will only help you to succeed. Medicine is not difficult to understand.
Your questions it too general! It also depends what teaching method you are thinking about.

Compared to A-levels I believe that medicine is not harder in understanding the content and learning the practical skills.
Hearing what some students say , about 2 hours a day will make revision really easy for exams..

So the conclusion is : It depends how difficult you are going to make medicine for you :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest