Aww that's sweet of u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucas123)
    adds Trish and Pink Sparkles to rep list
    :hugs: thank you :hugs: you are sweet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Ghost)
    Yeah let's read yours :cool:
    The tripartite definition of knowledge is a justified true belief. The 'belief' condition seems rather blatent, as it would appear a contradiction to have knowledge of something without believing it. The truth condition is also rather simple in the fact that a proposition can be either true or false. The verity of "Paris is the capital of France" will decide whether such a condition is met. The justification condition however, is somewhat imprecise. It notes that the condition is met if you are "justified in believing" something. The extent of justification required is somewhat oddly not specified. Regardless, I might be justified in believing that Paris is the capital of France because I have read it in a number of reputable books and corroborated my Sources.

There are however, a numebr of exceptions to the tripatite definition of knowledge. Edmund Gettier pointed out several examples which appear to contradict it. One such example reads as follows: Smith and Jones are applying for the same job. Shortly before the inrerview, the boss assures Smith that Jones will get the job. Smith also notes that Hones has ten coins in his pocket. It is from these premises that Smith deduces the correct conclusion: 'The man who will get the job has ten coins in his pocket'. By change of circumstance, however, Smith gets the job, and at the same time realises he has 10 coins in his pocket. He thus, believed his proposition, it was true and it was justified due to comment from the reliable source of the boss. But was it knowledge? Seemingly not. Thus it can be argued that a justified true belief is not the same as knowledge for two reasons. Firstly, Gettier illusions show that there can be logical braeches of the definition and secondly; the amount of justification required is undefined. Is 'I read it in a book' sufficient, or do we even need to go as far as proving our existence first? Perhaps the justification factor cannot be defined, ergo rendering the tripartite definition incorrect.

On the other hand, it could be said that the Gettier illusions are far too contrived to constitute a sufficient retaliation, but the illusions are nevertheless possible at least and the justification definition flaw still stands. While there have been more well developed theories of knowledge, the weight of evidence in this case suggests that Justified True Beliefs are not the same as knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: you must be very smart :eek:

ReputationRep:
    good essay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Icy Ghost)
    good essay
    Hope so :s:

I want my mark back, and I haven't done it yet.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 23, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.