The Student Room Group

Switching To Medicine

Hi there! I am currently in my 3rd year at university studying Computer Science. I've been thinking for a while now about doing a degree in medicine once I graduate and would just like to ask some questions and maybe get more ideas on how to improve my chances of getting accepted.

Qualifications:

SG
Computing A
History, English B
Physics, Chem, Craft & Design C

Higher
Computing C
History Fail

HNC Computer Games Development

BsC Computer Science from University of Glasgow (aiming for a first).

1. I have awful standard grade results and no science subjects at higher, will this have a big impact on my application?

2. Even If I manage to get a first in my degree and get a good aptitude test score will universities even care considering I have minimal chemistry and no biology experience? (Chem+Physics C @ SG)

3. I have been doing some part time work in a hospital and I am trying to get as much work exp as possible. This will help a bit I guess.

4. If I get denied first time around I plan on trying to get some sort of job as maybe a technician or something with my CS degree in a hospital as well as doing higher chemistry and biology at college.

Thank you for your time.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by David1912
2. Even If I manage to get a first in my degree and get a good aptitude test score will universities even care considering I have minimal chemistry and no biology experience? (Chem+Physics C @ SG)

Ask the universities you want to apply whether or not it'll affect your application. My guess is that if you have a 1st and a good UKCAT or GAMSAT score, they won't mind. A lot of people apply for graduate entry medicine and are successful with no science background whatsoever.
I know that Aberdeen makes its graduate entrants do a summer school programme in Chemistry if it wasn't part of their degree, and they tend to make that a condition of entry for graduates.
Reply 3
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I know that Aberdeen makes its graduate entrants do a summer school programme in Chemistry if it wasn't part of their degree, and they tend to make that a condition of entry for graduates.

This is promising, thanks! :biggrin:

Another question is will my higher exam results be taken into account? I would of sat them 4 years ago when I apply and 5 years would of passed by the time I would start the course.
Reply 4
Hi there! I am currently in my 3rd year at university studying Computer Science. I've been thinking for a while now about doing a degree in medicine once I graduate and would just like to ask some questions and maybe get more ideas on how to improve my chances of getting accepted.

Qualifications:

SG
Computing A
History, English B

Higher
Computing C
History Fail

1. I have awful standard grade results and no science subjects at higher, will this have a big impact on my application?

3. I have been doing some part time work in a hospital and I am trying to get as much work exp as possible. This will help a bit I guess.

4. If I get denied first time around I plan on trying to get some sort of job as maybe a technician or something with my CS degree in a hospital as well as doing higher chemistry and biology at college.

Thank you for your time.

Have a read of this: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Graduate_Entry_Medicine_-_a_guide
Reply 5
Original post by ScarletMoon
This seems virtually impossible

How so?
How so?

1. I have awful standard grade results and no science subjects at higher
Medicine is extremely competitive, as I'm sure you know. There will be plenty of other people with the same grades as you, WITH Sciences. But that doesn't mean you definitely will not make it. You still can. Good Luck, though
Reply 7
Original post by ScarletMoon
This seems virtually impossible

You get that there are universities that take on any subject graduates without science A-levels for their respective 4 year Medicine courses?
Original post by apotoftea
You get that there are universities that take on any subject graduates without science A-levels for their respective 4 year Medicine courses?

I do now.
Reply 9

They might not have science A levels but I bet they have pretty impressive results in the subjects they did take.

The OP will mostly likely have to take the GAMSAT to get into medical school (Notts, Swansea, Peninsula and St George's) or apply to Warwick - the only two routes for grad entry that don't take your pre-degree academics into conisderation.
Ha! Looks like I can actually help you :smile:

Glasgow look for qualifications gained in the past five years. That is to say, anything outside that is not counted when offering interviews. I would take a year out (if I were you) and work in a hospital environment and then take highers in the sciences you need to get in. That way, five years have passed since you resat your highers and your degree would still count for something. They may ask for five highers in one sitting which will be a pain in the arse, but probably worth it in the end :smile:

Glasgow require Chem and Bio at higher, plus one of either maths or physics. If you need any info, let me know :smile: But the best thing you can do is phone the med schools up and ask.

Good luck!
Reply 11

Qualifications:

SG
Computing A
History, English B

Higher
Computing C
History Fail

Thank you for your time.

It's worth pointing out from the off that getting into medicine is very hard and unpredictable, so a back up plan is very much needed. Are you sure you'd be happy working as a technician? In your case, I'd have a look around for any 'bridging' degrees that you could do as a postgraduate; i.e. to close the gap academically between computer science and medicine.

But speaking as someone who is going from creative writing to medicine, I feel obliged to say don't give up! Anything's possible if you work at it. :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by Jack.O

But speaking as someone who is going from creative writing to medicine, I feel obliged to say don't give up! Anything's possible if you work at it. :smile:

Fascinating. What sort of pathway do you have to follow for that? Back to undergrad?
Original post by theatrical
They might not have science A levels but I bet they have pretty impressive results in the subjects they did take.

Not necessarily, and especially so if an applicant goes down the GAMSAT route (given that SGUL will take on people with 2:2s). Their offers are based on interview performance alone, then GAMSAT score to sift.

The OP will mostly likely have to take the GAMSAT to get into medical school (Notts, Swansea, Peninsula and St George's) or apply to Warwick - the only two routes for grad entry that don't take your pre-degree academics into conisderation.

What about King's? They don't look at A-level results, take on any subject graduates and use the UKCAT as their cut off. Keele also don't look at A-level results, neither do Leicester (but you need 1 year plus of paid work experience), or Newcastle.

In fact, the two universities that DO ask for Science A-levels are Cambridge and Southampton.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by reviresco
Fascinating. What sort of pathway do you have to follow for that? Back to undergrad?

Just conventional graduate entry, thankfully! :smile:
What about King's? They don't look at A-level results, take on any subject graduates and use the UKCAT as their cut off. Keele also don't look at A-level results, neither do Leicester (but you need 1 year plus of paid work experience), or Newcastle.

Kings: Nowhere does it state that they don't look at A levels. They say that they have no specific subject requirements for A levels, that's not the same thing. They say that they use all indicators as well as UKCAT when selecting for interview - UKCAT is the initial filter.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/medicine_graduate_professional_entry_programme/alpha/MNO/header_search/

Keele: The website says "Less emphasis is placed on A-level grades for this entry route because of the GAMSAT requirement" Again that's not the same as 'we don't look at A levels'.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolofmedicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/4yearmbchb/

Can't find anything on the Newcastle or Leicester websites relating to GEP entry A level requirements but also nothing to say that they don't consider them with the application as a whole.

Yes, I am pedantic (and bored)
Kings: Nowhere does it state that they don't look at A levels. They say that they have no specific subject requirements for A levels, that's not the same thing. They say that they use all indicators as well as UKCAT when selecting for interview - UKCAT is the initial filter.

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/prospectus/undergraduate/applying/name/medicine_graduate_professional_entry_programme/alpha/MNO/header_search/

From knowing people who have got through to the King's interview and have offers - it came down to UKCAT score, interview performance and degree class.

Keele: The website says "Less emphasis is placed on A-level grades for this entry route because of the GAMSAT requirement" Again that's not the same as 'we don't look at A levels'.

http://www.keele.ac.uk/health/schoolofmedicine/undergraduatemedicalcourse/entryrouteshowtoapply/4yearmbchb/

Keele's a funny one as they only have 10 places to they go to the 10 best Science grads as a rule (so I got told!)

Can't find anything on the Newcastle or Leicester websites relating to GEP entry A level requirements but also nothing to say that they don't consider them with the application as a whole.

General school of thought is that if it's not mentioned, it doesn't matter for the graduate courses given that the usual requirements are degree class and work experience. GEP admissions people know that A-level results from 5, 10 years ago mean **** all. Cambridge stipulate that the A-levels must be less than 7 years old for their GEM course.

Whether they do look at A-level results on the side without publishing the info is anyone's guess.

My point was that saying someone needs fantastic A-level results in order to gain a place on a GEP course is not 100% true, especially for the GAMSAT based universities :smile: Southampton and Cambridge it is for sure though.

ETS: don't underestimate how tough GAMSAT is as an exam. In order to get an above average score you need a hell of an ability and aptitude, far more so than getting As at A-level, hence why it's used for GEP entry :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
In southampton uni for medicine, you only need an E in both A level biology and chemistry. As long, as you have an upper second class honours degree.
Reply 18

A family friend of mine does selections for Newcastle med school (she is a doctor and lecturer there) and she told me personally that they do not look at alevel.
There is a also guy at my church who goes to the med school and he has no Alevels.

Basically:
If you fit minimum requirements they will then check you UKCAT score. If your score is above the cut off you get an interview. From that point onwards your academics are not looked at again. Selection is based on interview scores only.

There use to be a pdf on the med school site stating this but I cant find it now sorry.
Reply 19
Not necessarily, and especially so if an applicant goes down the GAMSAT route (given that SGUL will take on people with 2:2s). Their offers are based on interview performance alone, then GAMSAT score to sift.

In fact, the two universities that DO ask for Science A-levels are Cambridge and Southampton.

you are wrong about newcastle :rolleyes: I dont know where that assumption is from

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending