The Student Room Group

Switching To Medicine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ligamentia
you are wrong about newcastle :rolleyes: I dont know where that assumption is from

No mention on their website at all. Like I said, perhaps there are unpublished rules to differentiate candidates.

ETS: just seen Anon2010's useful post, perhaps you should read it as well :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by firestar101
In southampton uni for medicine, you only need an E in both A level biology and chemistry. As long, as you have an upper second class honours degree.

What the website says you need and what the people who get the offers actually have, are to different things..
Considering that Im the one with the offer from them and knowing that pot definitely doesnt have one from newcastle (especially as she wasnt even an applicant) and I dont think neither were you then she/he really doesnt

so you can shove your bull up your :redface:

No I didn't apply to Newcastle but I am aware of their basic admissions requirements. This is taken from their admissions policy:

'e) Graduate applicants to the 4-year Accelerated Programme (A101)

Graduate applications will follow the processes as detailed in section 10. Offers will be conditional on a 2(i) or first class honours degree. A level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place but evidence of recent and relevant academic endeavour, obtained within the last three years, should be provided'.

(source: the first pdf at the bottom of this page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/A101/entrance-requirements)

Whether then they go against this during the actual admissions process is anyone's guess.
(edited 13 years ago)
Considering that Im the one with the offer from them and knowing that pot definitely doesnt have one from newcastle (especially as she wasnt even an applicant) and I dont think neither were you then she/he really doesnt

so you can shove your bull up your :redface:

You have an offer for the Newcastle 4 year course?

They most definitely look at A levels for the 5 year course, but that's a completely different selection process.
Original post by theatrical
What the website says you need and what the people who get the offers actually have, are to different things..

Yes. I know that but as long as you meet the grade requirements they do not care what your grades are.

They judge candidates on their personal statement and reference only. Also, as long as you meet the ukcat cut-off score, then this is the case.
Look Ligamentia is obviously either incredibly stupid, a troll or realises he/she is wrong and unwilling to back down and loose face.

Again to clarify here's the entry requirements for GEM course:

This course is designed for graduates of any discipline, and for others who have relevant experience which includes a substantial amount of contact with patients gained as an established health care professional within the NHS or equivalent body (eg RGN, RMN, Physiotherapist) with a qualification recognised by a statutory body. Only candidates classed as `home` students for fees purposes will be eligible to apply for this course.

Applicants must have achieved, or expect to achieve, at least an upper second class Honours degree, or integrated Masters degree, or be a practising health care professional with a post-registration qualification. All applicants will be expected to provide evidence of sustained academic endeavour within the last three years eg A level study, Open University, GAMSAT.

If they don't mention it as a direct selection requirement (Eg: you need x amount of A levels at grade y) then it's illegal for them to use it as selection criteria, as it's false advertising.

Again, with other trolls in the forum to burden of proof is on you to prove your theory. Send the admissions officer an email and past their reply here. If not STFU.
Reply 26
Original post by anon2010
A family friend of mine does selections for Newcastle med school (she is a doctor and lecturer there) and she told me personally that they do not look at alevel.
There is a also guy at my church who goes to the med school and he has no Alevels.

Do you go to JPC?

Original post by apotoftea
No I didn't apply to Newcastle but I am aware of their basic admissions requirements. This is taken from their admissions policy:

'e) Graduate applicants to the 4-year Accelerated Programme (A101)

Graduate applications will follow the processes as detailed in section 10. Offers will be conditional on a 2(i) or first class honours degree. A level and GCSE results for graduate applicants will have no direct bearing on the decision to interview or offer a place but evidence of recent and relevant academic endeavour, obtained within the last three years, should be provided'.

(source: the first pdf at the bottom of this page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/course/A101/entrance-requirements)

Whether then they go against this during the actual admissions process is anyone's guess.

Well I got CCCUb and got in but seeming as you put all the information on your UCAS form, I assume they can see what you got even if they don't use it. I was under the impression that it is pure UKCAT scoring (providing that you were going to achieve a 2.1+) used to call for interview.
Reply 27
Original post by Lantana
Do you go to JPC?

No but I did use to go to CU at northumbria.
What uni you at?
Original post by winter_mute

If they don't mention it as a direct selection requirement (Eg: you need x amount of A levels at grade y) then it's illegal for them to use it as selection criteria, as it's false advertising.

I don't think ligamentia is right about A levels at newcastle, but I also don't know why you believe this. I'm not sure there is any law that specifies universities must list everything on their website that they consider an advantage in admission to a course.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ikings/index.php?id=420
Watch this video; specifically, from 4:00 until 5:00. This is a dean of admissions at King's specifically saying that they will give extra credit with regards to giving offers for a variety of things which are not mentioned explicitly anywhere on the admissions website. You can have a go at suing GKT for false advertising if you like but I think the truth is a little more complicated than this.
Reply 29
Original post by thisismycatch22
I don't think ligamentia is right about A levels at newcastle, but I also don't know why you believe this. I'm not sure there is any law that specifies universities must list everything on their website that they consider an advantage in admission to a course.
http://www.kcl.ac.uk/ikings/index.php?id=420
Watch this video; specifically, from 4:00 until 5:00. This is a dean of admissions at King's specifically saying that they will give extra credit with regards to giving offers for a variety of things which are not mentioned explicitly anywhere on the admissions website. You can have a go at suing GKT for false advertising if you like but I think the truth is a little more complicated than this.

Yes but in Newcastle's case, they explicitly say that A-Levels don't count. If they just didn't mention them at all then it would be fair enough for them to have a look and consider them.
Original post by LaRoar
Yes but in Newcastle's case, they explicitly say that A-Levels don't count. If they just didn't mention them at all then it would be fair enough for them to have a look and consider them.

yeah, agreed. like you say, if they explicitly say they DON'T consider something it would be false advertising (or some legal equivalent for making false claims since it's not really "advertising", not an expert). but just not mentioning something on the application site doesn't mean they can't consider it imo, which is where i was disagreeing with the other guy. i think he's right about a levels at newcastle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending