Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Learning a new language - which is more important at the start: Verbs or Vocabulary? Watch

Say if I want to learn a language by my own, what is the best way to do this:

*Get a verbs book and master that
    or
    *Get a vocabulary book and master that

I really do not want to do "GCSE -> AS level -> A2 level" set of things.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Verbs.

ReputationRep:
    Both together. You should never dissociate grammar from vocabulary, else you'll end up with a not-so-balanced knowledge of your language. Get a grammar books (verbs aren't the only important thing in learning a language), work on your grammar and practice it with new vocab you can get from a vocab book.

ReputationRep:
    would some sort of audio thing not be more useful?

ReputationRep:
    No point in learning a load of vocab when you have no verbs to use with them. Also no point in learning a load of verbs with no vocab to go with it. They're equally as important and you need to learn them both together.

ReputationRep:
    I found that learnings verbs was very helpful, as they are pretty common. But on top of that I also learned the tenses, conditionals, plurals etc as the language would be really hard if you did not know those basics too.

ReputationRep:
    Verbs are vocab? Unless by 'vocab' you mean 'nouns' - in which case, why are you only choosing between nouns and verbs? what about the rest of the language!?

It seems like a bit of a random choice between the two, why not grammar?!

ReputationRep:
    Verbs verbs verbs.

Just master verbs first. It'll seriously suck, but once it's mastered the language becomes so much easier and vocabulary will just come more naturally as you'll actually be able to use it in a fully coherent sentence.

ReputationRep:
    Both... lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    Say if I want to learn a language by my own, what is the best way to do this:

*Get a verbs book and master that
    or
    *Get a vocabulary book and master that

I really do not want to do "GCSE -> AS level -> A2 level" set of things.

Thanks.
    Learn English first.

jk, probably verbs.

ReputationRep:
    Vocab.

I always start with learning vocab first.

ReputationRep:
    I think verbs are part of the vocabulary because they are words too.

ReputationRep:
    Learn the grammar.
    How to conjugate a verb in the present tense to begin with.
    Then basic vocab.
    When you have enough basic vocab you can start on the other tenses then go from there

ReputationRep:
    Verbs!
    You can pick up new vocabulary way easier just by reading/speaking with people etc. But if you have no idea how tenses work, you won't have a clue whether they're even talking about the past/present etc.

ReputationRep:
    Grammar.

It's boring as **** but learning the basic grammar of a language first will help a lot. Build this up with simple vocab that would help you put all the grammar you've learnt into use. Then step up the grammar to the next level (say, moving onto the passive voice - depends how quickly you learn/what you consider basic grammar), and learn the corresponding vocab, and so on.

This way you're mixing what you're learning to avoid you getting bored out of your wits and you should actually remember it! Although do not move on to more advanced grammar until you know the basics backwards or you'll just unnecessarily confuse yourself.

Out of interest, what language are you thinking of learning?

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Anatheme, both at the same time. Though I would spend more time on verbs and, in general grammar. You should try to find examples and exercises to practice this grammar that contain varied vocab and learn it as you go.
    Vocab isn't something you can be done with, you're always learning new vocab (even in your native language sometimes!) so it's a good idea to start asap but not to focus on it I think. A "grab it whenever and wherever you can" attitude.

ReputationRep:
    Both at the same time.

If possible you should try to follow some kind of structured course even if you are learning the language on your own.

The courses or resources you can use will be set out so that you learn things in a logical and sensible order to gradually build your abilities. I don't think it makes sense to just start by learning a load of vocab if you don't know how to use it in sentences. Equally there is no use knowing the patterns to conjugate verbs if you don't have the vocab to say anything.

ReputationRep:
    verbs? on he AQA website it has a big booklet full of verbs and vocab that you can download!

ReputationRep:
    It can sometimes depend on the language. In Russian for example, you can often get away with just using verbs, as there are so many ways you can manipulate them to carry different meanings. It would be almost impossible to speak fluent French with limited vocabulary, though.

ReputationRep:
    1. Assimil/Michel Thomas/.., then
    2. intensive grammar, then
    3. advanced vocabulary

Depends on the language which of the two in (1) I would recommend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.