Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently researching for my first tattoo. (I've thought alot about it and its not being done a whim). I know people will say 'what about when you're old' but i figure it will be a reminder of the fun/freedom of when you're young.
    I know that I want a small bird on my hip/waist but i've got a few questions
    Is it a particularly painful place to get one?
    Distortion if i have kids?
    Any recommendations of tattoo places in belfast?
    Any of you have one and could put up a pic?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a tattoo there but I will say it all depends on how big the bird is and where exactly it is on your hip. Because its a "fatty" area your tattoo will be more susceptible to distortion. It is likely to distort in pregnancy.

I'm getting my first tattoo in a couple weeks so I cant tell you how how much it hurts but I've heard its pretty painful but not the worst place. It's hard to say how painful it is because pain is subjective. Make sure you go to a reputable tattooist. Research first.

ReputationRep:
    tattoos hurt more where there is bone, thats why chest tattoos near the collarbone hurt a lot. if you were to get one on your hip bone then it will hurt yes. there will be distortion if you choose to have kids also, if you have chosen a design you want maybe pick to get it on a place where there wont be much change skin distortion? like your lower back/stomach side?

ReputationRep:
    I got one on my hip/side today and it didnt hurt so to speak... kinds feels like a sharp stinging feeling... it makes you cringe and is uncomfortable, but not painful ... but maybe that was just my tattoo cos of where it was and my pain threshold

ReputationRep:
    I don't know how it feels as i haven't had any and wont have any either, I think people who get tattoos don't appreciate their body enough the way it is

ReputationRep:
    I havent had one done on my stomach but I cant imagine it being that painful. Iv had all 3 of mine done on places where there is bone and no 'fatty' bits and 2 of them hardly hurt. The 3rd one on my ribs was a killer though!! If youre sure you know what you want and you go to a reputable place then you should be fine!

ReputationRep:
    how much the tattoo will hurt will mostly depend on your pain threshold and how much 'fat' you have there, between the skin and bone. i have had two tattoos on my hip, both of which have not healed very well, as they have rubbed against clothing, which has caused the lines to blur and the shading to be patchy. i would recommend getting the tattoo above your waistband, but then you will need to think about distortion during pregnancy. it may be best to think about getting it more towards your side, where you can avoid this problem.

ReputationRep:
    depends on the design too, the more they have to work in the colour/shading, the more it'll hurt. lines less-so.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you get a tattoo of your arse, on your arse?

ReputationRep:
    I have a small tattoo of a gecko on my hip, it stung a little as it did go across bone but the guy doing my tattoo made me feel relaxed by putting on music and chatting to me as I had it done so it took my mind off any pain. I'm not too worried about any distortion during pregnancy as I can get the tattoo reworked afterwards. My aunt had one around her belly button before she got pregnant so that obviously got distorted during pregnancy but afterwards her body pretty much went back to the way it was and she just needed a little touch up on the tattoo and it's fine now.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies guys

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.