Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in year 10 and expecting and reaching A/A* at GCSE. I like biology and art and would like to do something with cancer as it has been a big part of my life. I want to make a good life for myself so I want a good job, and I think that I could do pretty much anything. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The world is your oyster ... now it's your turn to choose. (:

ReputationRep:
    I have the best solution (Well its what I did at your age anyway)!!11one!!one!!!!11

Go on the Manchester Uni Website (Or any uni-but Manchester has a huge range of things) and look through all /most the courses and see what interests you.
    You'll be surprised at how much there is around and you'll definitely find something you like

Plus dont worry you have lots of time to think so take your time/take it slowly.

This is the link

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I dont know what interests me, in about seven months I need to apply for college or sixth form so I will need to know then. And I just dont know where to strat. I have looked at uni websites, took career tests, the full lot and am still no further forward

ReputationRep:
    Firstly - *know.

Secondly, very few people know in year 10 know what they want to do for the rest of your life, you've got ages to decide Education wise, just study what you enjoy for now and decide later? As surely you'd want your career to be something you enjoy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hlrk)
    The thing is I dont know what interests me, in about seven months I need to apply for college or sixth form so I will need to know then. And I just dont know where to strat. I have looked at uni websites, took career tests, the full lot and am still no further forward
    I thinkt hat means you need to chill out and take a break.
    Stop thinking about it all for a few months.
    Then, apply to whichever college your teachers recommend/you like (Dont fuss too much over college they arent such a big deal as Uni). Choose topics that open all doors (Chem/Bio/Business...etc)...you sound capable because of your expected grades!

honestly, Im telling you now from the bottom of my heart..DO NOT over-worry about this. You will laugh at it in 2 years. Calm down, relax. Youre young. Enjoy life and dont think about this stuff too much just yet.

ReputationRep:
    If your thinking about doing something with cancer.
    Theres biomedical sciences, medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, biology, physiology...the list of things science wise is endless.
    What side of cancer do you want to work with?
    Caring side? Ie. nursing, medicine, pharmacy.
    Research/cure side? Ie. Biomedical sciences, pharmaceutical sciences.
    You could look at politics. Some politicians end up making things better by changing the system and improving survival rates.
    Can't beat biology, chemistry at A level though...
    Hope it helps...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeleh)
    Firstly - *know.

Secondly, very few people know in year 10 know what they want to do for the rest of your life, you've got ages to decide Education wise, just study what you enjoy for now and decide later? As surely you'd want your career to be something you enjoy anyway.
    Im going to uni and still dont know what I want to do

Seriously OP, chill out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    Im going to uni and still dont know what I want to do

Seriously OP, chill out!
    Snap In fact OP, I'm not 100% sure I'll ever know what I really want to do!

ReputationRep:
    tbh, it all doesnt matter in the end.

we live, we die, we degrade, people forget us...

Pessimism anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to disagree with everyone in this thread and possibly put more stress on but I wish I had known what I wanted to do in year 10 - would have done so much better in GCSEs + A levels

On the other hand my life is pretty awesome right now anyway so it doesn't really matter either way.

ReputationRep:
    I remember stressing over GCSE's and A-Levels . If it's any comfort, I'm half way through a masters degree and still not entirely sure what I want to do with my life. lol. I'm also 24, so am getting on a bit! .

In all seriousness - subject wise, just pick what you enjoy. If you want to get into the science side of things, then yes, definitely go for scientific subjects, but if you're still not sure, why not go for a mix?

I applied to do philosophy at uni...got there, had a stab at law, didn't do well, and ended up graduating with a history degree. I'm now doing an International Relations based masters degree, which I never thought I'd be doing, even 2 years ago.

Life has a habit of taking you funny places. Best advice I can give - just roll with it

ReputationRep:
    Thanks to all! I probably will end up in doing science in some form. Hopefully help in finding cures for cancer. But known me I will end up doing something completely different. I just like knowing where I am going to be in a few years time, I tend to worry a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hlrk)
    Hi, I am currently in year 10 and expecting and reaching A/A* at GCSE. I like biology and art and would like to do something with cancer as it has been a big part of my life. I want to make a good life for myself so I want a good job, and I think that I could do pretty much anything. If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You don't have to decide right now but try taking the Stamford test on the UCAS website. It will give you an idea of the careers that will suit you. If you do decide you want to go along the medical route, it is extremely competitive for university places and you usually need extremely good gcse's/a levels to get a place. By extremely good Gcse's i'm talking 5/6 A*'s +. Don't let this put you off because that doesn't mean you have to get that amount, i'm just saying the majority of applicants have that.

If you like art maybe you could try something like architecture and focus it on things like building hospitals or cancer clinics. I know that's a bit precise and maybe not completely what you want to do but make of it what you like. But really you don't need to know specifically what career you want to do now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.