Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Good bloke)
    That leaves the student with a lot of options that are not go to university I am bound to go to, doesn't it? It doesn't sound much like consideration for a contract.

Why is it that every source I've seen online (just found another one, from sussex: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/studywithus/...conditions.php, and one from bath: http://www.bath.ac.uk/comp-sci/under...te/offers.html) seems to back my point up, yet you just keep repeating the fact that it's not a contract...

Remember - a contract is a legally binding agreement between multiple parties. There are certain legal issues (unfair terms etc), but there can be as many ways of getting out of said contract as the parties wish to include.

In this case, the ways out of the contract are

The student wishes to withdraw from UCAS entirely
    The student did not disclose a material fact on their application
    The student did not achieve the required grades (though the uni can accept anyway)
    the student changes the exams they're taking
    the student AND the university mutually agree

(may be a few others I haven't included...)

(Original post by chriscpritchard)
    yet you just keep repeating the fact that it's not a contract...
    And I've already explained why.

And I've already explained why.
    And I just explained why it is, BACKED UP BY SOURCES...

Edit: Consideration can be a promise to do something, in this case it's

Student: I promise to go to your univesity, unless I don't meet the conditions (then I will be able to go to insurance or go through clearing), lied on the application form or don't go to any university
    University: I promise to accept you into our university, assuming you meet the conditions, you didn't lie on the application form, you meet our conditions and that we are running the course
    Both Parties: We can mutually agree to end this arrangement and allow the student to apply for another place through clearing or go to their insurance

No, I'm not saying that. There are reasons why candidates can lose offers - mainly to do with dishonesty in the application or changing the content of the application - but they are generally safe after accepting an offer. The UCAS rules protect them. However, the university may not, in the end, run the course at all, which would also leave the student high and dry - though this happens extremely rarely. The argument was about the myth that the university is bound under a contract to take the student, which it isn't.
    but if their is no contract they you aint guarantee a places? correct?

I'm not sure, and i aint arguing just wondering

Just to re-rail the thread and give everyone an update, I phoned Cardiff up and they said that they would've taken my entire application into account (meaning they would've seen my lack of said grade), and mirrored the sentiments above in that once I accept it's pretty much binding on the university and they can't just change their mind and rescind it. I'm overjoyed!

(Binding in the sense that without some kind of extraneous reason such as the university being destroyed or the course simply not running, that is; although I've heard in the latter case they're at least obligated to try and find you another)
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.