Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    Contrary to what most people are saying here, I agree with some of your points actually. I'm female and I can't stand it when girls act like boys. It just feels wrong to me that the female population of the world is acting less and less feminine. That's not to say that I don't mind when men swear - I can't stand that either. However, if that's the way someone acts, far be it from me to try to change them - that would be rude. I know lots of girls who are far from feminine in the traditional sense (and I go to an all girls school) but that's who they are (that doesn't mean I'd ever act that way though).
    I wouldn't try and change them either, they are who they are. I was only stating that I and many other men find it unattractive and asked why they do such a thing. Some women have came up with genuine replies, others have jumped down my throat and taken things to extremes I never even went to. I'd just stop conversing with them and leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwoZootsPlz)
    L2read
    I can read.

What does walking away from someone have to do with being charged with assault?

elaborate please.

If a woman ever hit me, I'd never hit them back, regardless of how masculine they acted. I would simply walk away from them and leave them be and hopefully they'd see the errors of their ways as violence should not be tolerated.

ReputationRep:
    lets not be so shallow as to judging others by whether they speak terms like lad or dude.

I have to admit the way one speaks reveals a lot about herself but using terms like lad or dude does not label anything, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    I wouldn't try and change them either, they are who they are. I was only stating that I and many other men find it unattractive and asked why they do such a thing. Some women have came up with genuine replies, others have jumped down my throat and taken things to extremes I never even went to. I'd just stop conversing with them and leave it at that.
    Oh I completely agree. I'm in no way perfect and I swear from time to time but I don't understand why some girls insist on being so... unladylike... and why men often assume they have to act like idiots. Why can't everyone just be polite, civil and well behaved? Makes no sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    We aren't trying hard, we're just naturally more badass than you, dude.

Why do you feel the need to divide the human race by something as arbitrary as gender?
    Also, people would be offended by '*****', because it's a derogatory term. 'Bro' and 'dude' are not, and females have every right to use them.
    I don't think any self-respecting woman gives a crap whether you find something so unimportant a turn-off, FYI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    Haven't genuinely laughed at anything from TSR for, well, ever.

But this got a chuckle.
    please do explain what is funny about it?? you must have a pretty sad life to find something like that amusing!!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I prefer my girls to be feminine. Masculine traits are not attractive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    please do explain what is funny about it??
    The complete randomness of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trouser_Snake)
    Well, I prefer my girls to be feminine. Masculine traits are not attractive.
    this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Overmars)
    The complete randomness of it.
    fair enough lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    We aren't trying hard, we're just naturally more badass than you, dude.

Why do you feel the need to divide the human race by something as arbitrary as gender?
    Also, people would be offended by '*****', because it's a derogatory term. 'Bro' and 'dude' are not, and females have every right to use them.
    I don't think any self-respecting woman gives a crap whether you find something so unimportant a turn-off, FYI.
    you say ***** is a derogative term yet women call each other it in a joking manner. Why do women have different rules then as that to me is gender inequality in its most obvious form?

again, what you're implying is one rule for men and another rule for women. For true equality to exist both should be allowed to say it, or both shouldn't be allowed to say it. Just as men should be able to vote, and women should be able to vote. Why is it okay for women to use words like dude and man to address males but we can't say ***** in a joking manner even when a lot of women call each other it anyway?

I have nothing whatsoever against these people, its just that I would rather not converse with them out of choice, a choice im quite entitled to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaMusiqueEstMaVie)
    Oh I completely agree. I'm in no way perfect and I swear from time to time but I don't understand why some girls insist on being so... unladylike... and why men often assume they have to act like idiots. Why can't everyone just be polite, civil and well behaved? Makes no sense to me.
    I agree. Now, maybe I was wrong in initially raising the question with women only, but thats because of how many girls I hear say such words these days. I agree with every point you made and some people would far rather act the fool to try and impress than speak in a civilised manner, converse using appropriate language and use manners in public. Now, I know we're not all perfect and we've all sworn when we're angry to vent frustrations but the amount of times i hear terrible language in public is pathetic.

To me, the use of such words from women reminds me of the language used in locker rooms after a football match when all the boys would be talking about things like sex or swearing about dirty things they've did etc (just as I suspect girls do when they're out with their girlfriends), so then you link the woman saying the word to being in that environment and its a turn off.

Now, I know not all women are perfect and totally innocent but surely its not hard to act with some decorum and speak well mannered. By doing so you present yourself in a better image and that rubs off on people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x)
    I agree. Now, maybe I was wrong in initially raising the question with women only, but thats because of how many girls I hear say such words these days. I agree with every point you made and some people would far rather act the fool to try and impress than speak in a civilised manner, converse using appropriate language and use manners in public. Now, I know we're not all perfect and we've all sworn when we're angry to vent frustrations but the amount of times i hear terrible language in public is pathetic.

To me, the use of such words from women reminds me of the language used in locker rooms after a football match when all the boys would be talking about things like sex or swearing about dirty things they've did etc (just as I suspect girls do when they're out with their girlfriends), so then you link the woman saying the word to being in that environment and its a turn off.

Now, I know not all women are perfect and totally innocent but surely its not hard to act with some decorum and speak well mannered. By doing so you present yourself in a better image and that rubs off on people.
    Definitely. I hate it when I hear everyone around me (I go to an all girls school remember) is going 'eff this' and 'eff that' and some of them are like 'Oh my days, that's so peng innit blud.' Not lady-like at all in my opinion. Not all of them are like that obviously, most of my friends are at least a little bit more polite. Even in men, I find it much more attractive if they speak well, speak softly and don't swear, have their trousers half way down their butts and don't get drunk every weekend. But maybe that's just me.

ReputationRep:
    'why do you now all of a sudden think you're a bunch of Jessie J's who can 'do it like a dude'?'

Actually made me chuckle, then I realized how absurd you were being :/....

ReputationRep:
    Why does it matter?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.