Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone solve this please? I don't know what to do for this question.

Use method of PMI to prove that for all neZ+:

(n+1) + (n+2) + (n+3) + ... + 2n = 1/2n(3n+1)

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sinnhy)
    Can anyone solve this please? I don't know what to do for this question.

Use method of PMI to prove that for all neZ+:

(n+1) + (n+2) + (n+3) + ... + 2n = 1/2n(3n+1)

Thanks
    For all induction questions in FP1, there is a basic structure to follow.
    1. Clearly state the proposition you seek to prove.
    2. Test the statement in a base case i.e. set n=1 and show that LHS=RHS.
    3. Assume this statement is true for some value n=k, where k \in \mathbb{Z^+}.
    4. Consider the case n=k+1 and use your assumption for n=k to show that this is true. This is called the inductive step.
    5. Write a summarising statement to round off the proof i.e. explain how it follows by induction that this statement was true.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't phrased it clearly. I've been stuck on the inductive step and can't seem to get the final bit for k+1th term which is suppose to be 1/2(k+1)(3k+4).

I came up with the summation Sigma (n + r). and I added k+(k+1) to both sides? I dunno if i'm correct if anybody could help me.

p.s I'm kinda new to studentroom, can anybody tell me how I can write up notations, maths equations etc in my post? thanks

ReputationRep:
    Check what the k+1 term is and from this basically use the inductive step(P_k) where P(k) + k+1 = p(k+1).....rearrange and should be easy from there tbh!

ReputationRep:
    Your neg rep is worth nothing OP and good lucking getting anyone else to help you with that kind of attitude!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I didn't phrased it clearly. I've been stuck on the inductive step and can't seem to get the final bit for k+1th term which is suppose to be 1/2(k+1)(3k+4).

I came up with the summation Sigma (n + r). and I added k+(k+1) to both sides? I dunno if i'm correct if anybody could help me.

p.s I'm kinda new to studentroom, can anybody tell me how I can write up notations, maths equations etc in my post? thanks
    Consider ((k+1) + 1) + ..... ((k+1) + k) + ((k+1) + (k+1)) = (1/2)k(3k+1) + k + 2(k+1) which isn't quite what you said

=(1/2)( 3k^2 + k +2k + 4k + 4 ) .... which gives you what you want?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boromir9111)
    Your neg rep is worth nothing OP and good lucking getting anyone else to help you with that kind of attitude!
    I already know the fact, if you read my post above, I already tried that step and you was not helping much. I didn't mean to take offence.

I managed to figure the question out, but thanks anyway for the help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ian.slater)
    Consider ((k+1) + 1) + ..... ((k+1) + k) + ((k+1) + (k+1)) = (1/2)k(3k+1) + k + 2(k+1) which isn't quite what you said

=(1/2)( 3k^2 + k +2k + 4k + 2 ) .... which gives you what you want?
    That doesn't exactly factorise to the answer but thanks mate for trying

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't exactly factorise to the answer but thanks mate for trying
    Oops - sorry - now corrected - the last 2(k+1) expands to 2k + 2 which then becomes 4k + 4 when you put it over the common denominator of 2.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.