Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You eat healthy, instantly assumed you're on a diet Watch

ReputationRep:
    At college today I bought some fruit and a yoghurt in a shop for lunch (I also had a sandwhich in my bag).

The people I was with were like, 'are you on a diet'?

Why is it instantly assumed that when someone buys something healthy, people think they're on a diet :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I get that except I get told, "You don't need to lose weight!!!". Uh no, I'm not trying to lose weight, I just like healthy food. It's annoying.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Eat what you want to eat, if they want to stuff their faces with chocolate thats their call, but it's none of their business why youre eating what youre eating!

ReputationRep:
    Surely it's just because most people think unhealthy food tastes nicer. For example, your average person would probably rather devour a pizza than eat a load of fruit or whatever. Poor example, but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I love fruit, my favourtie food.

When I was buying I wasn't really thinking, 'I want this because it's healthy', I was just getting what I felt like at that time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Nah, I love fruit, my favourtie food.

When I was buying I wasn't really thinking, 'I want this because it's healthy', I was just getting what I felt like at that time.
    Notice I said 'most' people.

ReputationRep:
    I get that when I eat Ryvita. "Are you dieting?" (I really should, lawl) "No, I just like the taste" - "Really?!"

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I've decided to eat a lot more healthy now seeing as my face completely broke out during my senior in highschool. WTF. Like...I'm pissed. So I eat a lot of almonds and apples etc etc and people tell me that I don't need to diet because I'm skinny..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sprockette)
    I get that except I get told, "You don't need to lose weight!!!". Uh no, I'm not trying to lose weight, I just like healthy food. It's annoying.
    I get told exactly the same thing except before that I also get told, "You look like you've lost weight" and/or I get comments on how little I eat. I'm pretty much the same weight and I don't eat big portions. People are weird!

ReputationRep:
    The comments probably relate to people being jealous that you do enjoy eating healthy food. As you've pointed out, most people only eat healthily in order to get slimmer and ultimately most of them fail. If you enjoy eating healthily, then good for you!

ReputationRep:
    It's because people typically eat so rubbish these days that it's rare to see someone choose a yoghurt over a chocolate bar.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I get this a lot. I was making myself some lentil soup the other day and my flatmate told me she was worried about the fact that I was dieting :confused: I'm not at all; that was probably the healthiest thing I'd had all week.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.