Turn on thread page Beta

Should I do the LPC this year or try and get experience and then do it? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am a third year law graduate and have applied for the LPC but I am unsure about whether to do it this year and self fund (as I don't have a training contract) or get some experience (a graduate job/legal type job) and then do the LPC after when I have a training contract to pay for it!

Help please!!

ReputationRep:
    My personal view is that to get a TC you have to stand out. That means extra-curricular work or legal work experience and hopefully the grades to boot.

Everyone who wants to do work in the commercial firms (i imagine these are who you are targeting since they are the ones that pay for your LPC) will do the LPC at some point unless they do the paralegal route.

That means doing the LPC is doing something you will have to do anyway, and if you do get a TC odds are you wont get reimbursed and you'll have two years out before your TC starts.

Doing the LPC is not going distinguish in the job market as much as a year of working and enhancing your CV through other means will. I think you'd be better off trying to build up your CV through voluntary projects and work experience.

Hope that was useful!

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kind of law you want to work in. If you are aiming for the big commercial firms who hire 2 years in advance then there is no point really in doing the LPC before you have a TC. If you are applying this year for TC's get your SRA clearance as the major providers will take people onto the course up until a couple of weeks in!

If however you are applying for smaller firms, niche firms, high street or other firms who only hire less than 1 year before it might be worth contemplating doing the LPC off your own bat. If you can round up the cash you can do the LPC in 7 months saving on living costs, or do it part time and work to pay the costs at the same time.

There are so many people on the LPC with me at the minute who don't have training contracts, the market is really tough. So it is really important to weigh up if you can take the risk of paying for the LPC, which might never be of any use to you if in the worst case scenario you dont get a legal job.

ReputationRep:
    Get experience first! It costs a lot of money to do the LPC, and you may find out that you hate legal work. Most of my colleagues do.

When it comes to jobs at the moment, it’s a bloodbath. If you are able to work for free, you may have to.

Source: After six years of practice, I’m a bitter and twisted solicitor …

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Thank you for all your replies. It seems you all think I should get experience first. I have done volunteering work at citizens advice bureau before and am currently doing some volunteering work at the moment alongside my studies. I have also completed work experience at 2 top law firms and have had open days and work experience at high street firms.

If I am to get more experience first how do I go about getting this? As i have been looking at paralegal roles on firms websites, however the majority of the time you need experience to even get the job! Or would it be good to get a graduate job? If so what sort of graduate job as I want something that is kind of legal related?

I have actually already paid the deposit for the LPC but can cancel my place before the 1st July so think thats what I'm going to have to do!!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do not do the LPC.

Regardless of where you want to work in law, there is no point spending the money until you have a TC. There are positively THOUSANDS of LPC grads kicking around with large debts and paralegal jobs at best, no job at worst. That number is increasing.

Get a job. Any job. Don't be picky. Work in a commercial enterprise (law firm is good but if not go for insurance co or something similar). This does two things. 1) Gives money to save for LPC and 2) gives you experience which differentiates you instantly from all those LPCers.

Good luck, and when I say don't be picky, I mean don't be picky. I make coffee. Its boring, but it pays, and I also get to spend my working week inside a law firm. The benefits of which are numerous and easy to identify.

ReputationRep:
    Suggest you have a read of this thread on ROF (quite possibly started by the same JoeyJ as above?)

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.