Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    You'll just pick up more of our 'slang words' rather than the actual accent. You wont ever get a full blown scouser accent i doubt, even if you moved here forever. xD I think its the type of accent you can only ever really aquire after being raised here. LOL

And shh, the accent even isnt that bad. Atleast if you're living in liverpool it isnt. I actually like the scouse accent, its better then a stuck up posh accent in my opinion. LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlepants)
    Oh and also, do not go to Liverpool with this attitude. Everyone will actually hate you and think you're a snob... people from Liverpool are very proud of their accent and really like people who are down to earth and open. Not people who are "scared" of "catching" an accent.
    Hey, Don't get me wrong i Love the accent =). My parents hate it which is why I'm asking. I wouldn't mind picking it up as i think it is lovely. I think when i come home I should deliberately speak like that to pee them off x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guitarlaz)
    Hey, Don't get me wrong i Love the accent =). My parents hate it which is why I'm asking. I wouldn't mind picking it up as i think it is lovely. I think when i come home I should deliberately speak like that to pee them off x
    I like.

ReputationRep:
    I find my voice adapting to match other people's a little as well sometimes... odd, isn't it. I hope I don't pick up a Leeds accent at uni, no offence meant to anyone from Yorkshire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fred Ivanovic)
    eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (that's a word in liverpool)
    Jason Manford? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    My brother went to a liverpool uni and his accent never changed

ReputationRep:
    Learn to lipread and then walk around with your fingers jammed in your ears all the time - I think it's the only sensible answer to catching an accent.

ReputationRep:
    You won't gain an accent I have been at uni in Birmingham for 4 years and still got my London accent because in university everyone is from all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    John Mahoney lost his English accent at the age of 18 when he moved to America, it might completely change yep.

ReputationRep:
    education vs. sounding like stephen gerrard. Think carefully because your very future depends on this.

ReputationRep:
    Its not an STD you cant catch it!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, some of these responses are ridiculous. 'Not worth it' pffffft.
    The likelyhood is, if you go with that attitude, the scouse people you meet won't really want to speak to you.
    We're very friendly, and very welcoming. But we are most definately proud of where we come from, regardless of stigma. If you come here, you'll realise that the majority of the stuff said about liverpool is purely over-dramatised. It's a lovely city, with people always willing to help you out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ge0rgi3)
    Oh wow, some of these responses are ridiculous. 'Not worth it' pffffft.
    The likelyhood is, if you go with that attitude, the scouse people you meet won't really want to speak to you.
    We're very friendly, and very welcoming. But we are most definately proud of where we come from, regardless of stigma. If you come here, you'll realise that the majority of the stuff said about liverpool is purely over-dramatised. It's a lovely city, with people always willing to help you out.
    Hey, go with what attitude? i didn't say anything bad about picking it up. Read my post a bit earlier up this page. I like the accent and would like to pick it up I think its lovely

ReputationRep:
    Not only will you develop a scouse accent, but we'll rob you of all your possessions and dreams as soon as you enter the city boundries.

ReputationRep:
    Very doubtful since you will be living with people from all over the country, not just Liverpool. I live just outside of Liverpool and don't think I have a scouse accent but when I meet people from other parts of the country they instantly pick up on it!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, yeah. I've been in Liverpool for three years and have an uncontrollable urge to swear, kick my k's harshly, steal things and call my parents la'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 4, 2011

University open days

1. Liverpool John Moores University
    Three campuses, five faculties and over 21,000 students from over 100 countries make LJMU what it is today: a modern, student-centric university. Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  2. Liverpool John Moores University
    Three campuses, five faculties and over 21,000 students from over 100 countries make LJMU what it is today: a modern, student-centric university. Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  3. Liverpool John Moores University
    Wed, 7 Nov '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.