Turn on thread page Beta

Non-smokers, have you ever tried a cigarette? watch

ReputationRep:
    yes, i thought that i couldn't be objective on the matter without trying it first, i am not a fan

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I physically can't inhale the smoke properly, and just burn my throat...

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't. I did have the chance once when I was 13, but turned it down because I was scared of getting hooked instantly :o:. Meh, they don't appeal to me very much so I don't care.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a few times, although I could never inhale it properly and when I did I choked and spluttered for ages afterwards. It just seems more hassle than what it's worth, paying out so much for them and then having to leave a gathering to go and smoke outside if your with friends and increasing the risk of lung cancer too.

No I won't be smoking again.

ReputationRep:
    Nope :cool: rather spend my money on macdonalds :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've tried smokes quite a few times. I don't mind it I used to maybe occasionally sometimes if a friend offered. I don't anymore though. Not to say that I won't ever pick up a smoke again , I probably will . I don't see anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    Once or twice. It didn't take.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, it made me cough a lot.

ReputationRep:
    No and I don't intend to.

ReputationRep:
    i tried one
    everyone laughed at my reaction...
    ended up shouting "it's burning my throat!!"
    fun times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raving_Hippy)
    It seems weird that people who don't smoke could adore the smell and taste of cigarettes.
    I really do. It's bizarre yes, and all my non-smoker friends think that it's incredibly weird. My Mum however is the same, so maybe it's genetic =/. Golden Virginia is my favourite. It's really sweet.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I've never seen the appeal really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunky x)
    The only reason I don't smoke [probably] is the health thing and the fact I'm a wuss.

I absolutely adore the smell and taste of cigarettes [boyfriend occasionally smokes roll ups and they're so good] and have just taken some into my mouth, but never inhaled properly. As awful as it is, I would like to, just to say I've done it, but I'm terrified I'll enjoy it and get addicted, which is something I don't want. I want to be able to 'smoke' per se, but without the addiction, because truly, I love the taste and the smell, but it's just the health risks.

I am incredibly weird.
    i like the smell and taste of it as well but nah dont wanna become an addict

ReputationRep:
    I've never tried a cigarette and I never would. The smell makes me gag and, as a singer, I don't want to take the chance and damage my voice.

ReputationRep:
    No, and I never would.
    I'm disgusted by my mum smoking, and there's so much peer pressure, but i'm rather stubborn so would never give in

ReputationRep:
    Passive smoker all my life....
    Shared half of one before, whilst drunk = enjoyed it
    Tried it sober last week = didn't enjoy it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raving_Hippy)
    Have any non-smokers here ever tried a cigarette? What did you think of it?
    I smoked when I was 15 to prove a point, and then I stopped smoking after a month to further prove a point. When I first tried it, I didn't inhale properly, and felt a bit sick. After about a week, and after learning how to smoke properly, I understood why so many people did it. After 4 weeks, I stopped, (to show my smoke-a-holic friend that it was possible to be 'hooked' and give up) and didn't really miss it at all. Now, if people offer me a tab, I think back to my first ever cigarette and kindly decline the offer Also, after looking at a smokers lung in biology, it kind of put me off all together...

ReputationRep:
    Don't smoke. But sometimes I'll have one socially when I've been drinking or something.

Meh overall, it's not bad, but it doesn't really give you anything like other drugs, and it's pretty bad for you, and expensive (I always borrow other peoples when I smoke ) So, not when I'm sober

ReputationRep:
    No its a disgusting and expensive habit. :puke:

ReputationRep:
    No. They're expensive and terrible for your health - both perhaps only in the long run but then they're also addictive which is the big problem.

I can't understand why you'd want to try one for the "experience" either. I find that just stupid (I mean, different from being pressured by friends, or smoking because it is what people in your culture do). It would be like shoving a cocktail stick into your ear for the "experience", some things are just bad (or foolish) enough that it's not desirable to experience them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.