Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I wonder if someone could help me please or at least point me in the right direction.

I have a large amount of data, 500 pieces, which I've narrowed down to 495 using outliers.

What I have to do now is hypothesise that the data is normally distributed by carrying out a chi squared test. The data has been sorted into 10 classes but the question is this

How do I calculate the expected frequencies of each and how can I calculate the degree of freedom?

Thanks in advance

Ady

ReputationRep:
    Since you're estimating 2 population parameters Mu and Sigma from the data the degs of freedom = 10-1-2=7 (assuming no cell amalgamation?)

Could you give the classes so as to explain the expected freqs? I guess you're using software for all of this?

ReputationRep:
    Since you're estimating 2 population parameters Mu and Sigma from the data the degs of freedom = 10-1-2=7 (assuming no cell amalgamation?)

Could you give the classes so as to explain the expected freqs? I guess you're using software for all of this?

Hi,

The classes I have got are as follows

Class Frequency

5.40 – 5.46 4
    5.47 – 5.53 19
    5.54 – 5.60 51
    5.61 – 5.67 108
    5.68 – 5.74 123
    5.75 – 5.81 106
    5.82 – 5.88 62
    5.89 – 5.95 14
    5.96 – 6.02 6
    6.03 – 6.09 2

I'm not using any software to do this, it's all being done manually. If there is a useful piece of software, Excel or SPSS, that could do this I would be glad to know of it.

Thanks

Andy

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I've adjusted the bins slightly:

(<5.47) 4
    (5.47, 5.54) 19
    (5.54, 5.61) 51
    (5.61, 5.68) 108
    (5.68, 5.75) 123
    (5.75, 5.82) 106
    (5.82, 5.89) 62
    (5.89, 5.96) 14
    (5.96, 6.03) 6
    (>6.03) 2

For each bin you need to work out it's normal probability, e.g. for (5.82, 5.89) work out P(5.82<X<5.89) under the null hypothesis with Mu and Sigma estimated from the data. To get the expected freqs multiply each normal probability by n=495.

If any of the expected freqs are <5 then a cell amalgamation process is often done.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.