Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I am just after some clarification and advice on what to do next in my current situation.

I finished my A Levels back in 2008 in GNVQ Business, it was double award and i got a C / D (not great).

I went straight into university but had problems paying my rent at student halls and got forced out basically by the uni not allowing me to enroll for my 2nd year. I was young and naive and just gave up the fight and went into work and i have been in the same job ever since.

Now, i want to go back to university, I'm 22 turning 23 this year (September 2011), I'm still young and still want a degree.

I have read relevant sections of the forums and its been very helpful but I'm still a little confused, i want to apply for a design/design management/web design course (not art). From what i am aware i have missed the deadline to start this year which was a bit of a setback for me (pretty gutted to be honest). Also, i don't have any record of my grades since a friend who kindly helped me move whilst i was abroad lost half of possessions (among which all my certificates and qualifications).

I've been in my current job for about 3 and half years, i was promoted to assistant manager within the first 6 months which is impressive for a big retailer. Since then i have also self-taught myself how to use Photoshop and design websites with HTML, CSS etc. What I'm getting at is that I've picked a lot of skills up that i haven't got any qualifications for, I've kept records of all the work i have done (a portfolio basically). How do i support this in an application?

Also, funding uni is a problem for me and I'm going off my past experience. I've been told many different things and read a lot of other material... Since i have already had a loan of the student finance (which I'm slowly repaying off my pay check) am i eligible for another loan? Also, what is the whole 'mature student' route of applying about? Since i support myself am i eligible for grants?

Any suggestions would help, its a lot to take in i know!

Thanks in advance!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You can apply late. Read this.
    You would need to write about your additional skills in your personal statement. If you don't apply this year and end up taking a year out you could look into getting formal qualifications in them but it's unnecessary. Whilst a mature student is technically anyone over 21 you're not really old enough for unis to start lowering their typical offer for you and generally that only happens if you have lots of relevant experience anyway, which unfortunately it doesn't sound like you do.

For student finance you should be eligible for funding. You get the length of your new course, plus one year, minus any you've had. So if you've had one you'll be ok. However if you go next year the new fee structure will start so you'll end up paying more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockwilder)
    Hello guys,

I am just after some clarification and advice on what to do next in my current situation.

I finished my A Levels back in 2008 in GNVQ Business, it was double award and i got a C / D (not great).

I went straight into university but had problems paying my rent at student halls and got forced out basically by the uni not allowing me to enroll for my 2nd year. I was young and naive and just gave up the fight and went into work and i have been in the same job ever since.

Now, i want to go back to university, I'm 22 turning 23 this year (September 2011), I'm still young and still want a degree.

I have read relevant sections of the forums and its been very helpful but I'm still a little confused, i want to apply for a design/design management/web design course (not art). From what i am aware i have missed the deadline to start this year which was a bit of a setback for me (pretty gutted to be honest). Also, i don't have any record of my grades since a friend who kindly helped me move whilst i was abroad lost half of possessions (among which all my certificates and qualifications).

I've been in my current job for about 3 and half years, i was promoted to assistant manager within the first 6 months which is impressive for a big retailer. Since then i have also self-taught myself how to use Photoshop and design websites with HTML, CSS etc. What I'm getting at is that I've picked a lot of skills up that i haven't got any qualifications for, I've kept records of all the work i have done (a portfolio basically). How do i support this in an application?

Also, funding uni is a problem for me and I'm going off my past experience. I've been told many different things and read a lot of other material... Since i have already had a loan of the student finance (which I'm slowly repaying off my pay check) am i eligible for another loan? Also, what is the whole 'mature student' route of applying about? Since i support myself am i eligible for grants?

Any suggestions would help, its a lot to take in i know!

Thanks in advance!
    You will need to replace these. Contact the school/college where you took your exams and ask them for the necessary details so that you can get duplicates from the relevant Exam Boards. You need to be sure you have entered your grades etc correctly on UCAS (you'd be amazed how many people 'remember' that they got higher grades than they actually did), and employers in the future may well want to see them too, So don't leave it any longer. It may cost you some, but better that than a muddle later on.

As far as your eligibility for Student Finance is concerned, contact them and ask. The usual rule is that you are allowed one false start lasting one year. From what you've said it sounds like you should be eligible for full funding for a new degree, and having supported yourself for three years you should be able to get this on your own merits rather than your parents' income.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.