Turn on thread page Beta

Would you find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or a geek? watch

ReputationRep:
    As the title says. If you knew someone who could speak 16 languages fluently, would it change your opinion of them? Would you be more or less likely to be attracted to them? Or would you think 'Omg, geek! They must have no life and spend all their life studying and practicing their languages!' Would you also think they are an over-achiever too and thus feel a bit uncomfortable around them?

EDIT: I don't currently speak 16 languages, but it's one of my life goals. So it's more of a hypothetical question really.

Cheers,

Language_Man

(Original post by language_man)
    As the title says. If you knew someone who could speak 16 languages fluently, would it change your opinion of them? Would you be more or less likely to be attracted to them? Or would you think 'Omg, geek! They must have no life and spend all their life studying and practicing their languages!' Would you also think they are an over-achiever too and thus feel a bit uncomfortable around them?

Cheers,

Language_Man
    I'd call bull**** and ask you to prove it.

Honestly, I'd think they were lying.

ReputationRep:
    I would dissect their brain in the name of science.

ReputationRep:
    so I'm guessing you speak 16 languages?

ReputationRep:
    I'd be like, aha, mint! then annoy you by asking you repeatedly to say things in different languages..

ReputationRep:
    it doesnt really matter... i'd think "cool!" and wouldn't think they were a geek but i wouldn't find them attractive unless the rest of their personality was also attractive.

ReputationRep:
    jason bourne spoke many languages and hes pretty cool. jus' sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    Devilishly attractive. Multilingual chicks make me hornier than a race horse on the maharajah plains in heat.

ReputationRep:
    Which languages, how fluent are you?

Both important factors in such a question.

Btw, this wasn't me just making a random point, I actually want you to answer.

ReputationRep:
    I would be like. Whoa.

ReputationRep:
    Are we talking fluently? Cos that'd be pretty cool (but maybe a little daunting).

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the rest of their personality, how I found out about this skill and if they talked about anything else.

ReputationRep:
    That would be cool!
    Que guay!

There you go ladies, I speak two :smug:

ReputationRep:
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...qzz5KonVWQ&t=1

I would not believe it

ReputationRep:

Cheers,

Language_Man
    If it were true then I would be very attracted to that guy or I'd be very good friends with him and I'd admire him. Yummy...

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    I'd be like, aha, mint! then annoy you by asking you repeatedly to say things in different languages..
    haha id do the same

ReputationRep:
    I do like a man who can chat me up in 16 languages....

I'd love a man who could speak so many languages, shows he's smart and dedicated to what he wants to do, plus think of all the places you could go as a couple without the language being a barrier.

I once fancied a boy at school who could talk four languages and was learning Japanese as his fifth, he tried teaching me some but the only phrase I can remember is "You are my dog." ahh fun times.

ReputationRep:

Cheers,

Language_Man
    99.9% Unlikely it isn't fluent, getting by only on 10 of them.

And no I would find it cooler rather than "geekier"

ReputationRep:
    I'd say attractive as they'd obviously be intelligent, but that's only one aspect of someone's personality. But if that's what you're looking for then yes, I'd say it's a good quality.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2012
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.