The Student Room Group

Would you find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or a geek?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by language_man
Ok. What languages do you speak?

I just speak German. I did do French until I was 13 but as I can't really remember much anymore I don't count it.
Intelligence is only attractive if it's witty. Learning 16 languages only suggests you're quite bright but while it's impressive, it's not attractive. However it does mean you can talk to bints who speak in any one of 15 other languages than English so your odds go up a fair bit.
Reply 122
Ignore that idiot. By fluent, I mean total mastery of each language. That's what I meant in this thread.

So you aren't actually going to use that thing off the internet that was in your sig earlier that gets you 'fluent' in three months then?
Reply 123
Original post by georgia246
Woah, that's pretty impressive stuff. Didn't think it would be possible.

Evidence suggests that guy is bull****ting.

16 is easily possible. In fact, have you heard of Ziad Fazah? He is a man who speaks 59 languages. Check out these videos of him speaking in 20 different languages, it's very impressive stuff....

http://www.myvido1.com/vsearch.php?tag=srcforeignlanguages

You should research your sources better, dear.
Seems his langauge skills aren't all that he claims.
Original post by Hylean

langauge skills

on the subject of language skills.
Reply 125
Original post by Crocodile, M.D.
on the subject of language skills.

Wow, you're a hoot. Next time you want to make comment, make sure you remember to capitalise the first letter in your sentences. :wink:
In Wales it's widely spoken. Also in some parts of Argentina too.

That's not wide.

India is an interesting country. Also, there are a lot of Indian and Pakistani people in Britain, so if I can speak to them in Hindi/Urdu then I immediately stand out from other British people because British people generally don't learn other languages.

There are also a lot of Dutch, Greek, Bulgarian etc people in this country. Do you aim to speak those languages as well?

Imo, come to Britain, speak English.
Original post by diskohuelga
What's wrong with farsi? :O That's a perfectly acceptable choice!

What use is that (except for in Farsi-speaking countries)?

I mean, it's hardly a language you'd expect to use a lot.
Reply 128
Original post by im so academic
What use is that (except for in Farsi-speaking countries)?

I mean, it's hardly a language you'd expect to use a lot.

Why don't you learn some languages yourself, instead of sitting back and criticising those who do?
Reply 129
Original post by Hylean

That tv show was a setup. There is no evidence he's 'bull****ting'....only people who are jealous and who are trying to knock him down because they wish they could be as good.

Watch the following video.... http://www.myvido1.com/AVXJ1SUJDc3NGSallWE1UP_the-trial-of-ziad-fazah

In life, those who CAN will always get those who CAN'T trying to knock them down, disprove them, and 'attack' them like sharks etc.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Hylean
Wow, you're a hoot. Next time you want to make comment, make sure you remember to capitalise the first letter in your sentences. :wink:

fixed
Wow, you're a hoot; make sure you remember to capitalise the letter at the beginning of each sentence next time you want to make a comment.

that would have been a more efficiently worded response - only one sentence, no unnecessary pauses and no repeated "make".
Why don't you learn some languages yourself, instead of sitting back and criticising those who do?

I currently do, and I have ambitions to learn more.
Reply 132
Original post by im so academic
I currently do, and I have ambitions to learn more.

What languages do you speak?
As the title says. If you knew someone who could speak 16 languages fluently, would it change your opinion of them? Would you be more or less likely to be attracted to them? Or would you think 'Omg, geek! They must have no life and spend all their life studying and practicing their languages!' Would you also think they are an over-achiever too and thus feel a bit uncomfortable around them?

EDIT: I don't currently speak 16 languages, but it's one of my life goals. So it's more of a hypothetical question really.

Cheers,

Language_Man

well first i think you're being a bit too ambitious there, i doubt that's going to happen... but IF i did meet someone like that then i'd be a bit "woah"... it wouldn't have any effect on how attracted to them i was... i might think they were sligtly geeky but IF you ever reached this goal you'd be like 60 anyway so it doesn't matter.
Reply 134
Original post by Bellissima
well first i think you're being a bit too ambitious there, i doubt that's going to happen... but IF i did meet someone like that then i'd be a bit "woah"... it wouldn't have any effect on how attracted to them i was... i might think they were sligtly geeky but IF you ever reached this goal you'd be like 60 anyway so it doesn't matter.

I didn't ask whether you think the goal is possible. I'll be judge of that. I simply asked whether you would find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or not.
Reply 135
The idea of someone speaking lots of languages is attractive, but you need to not be up your own arse about it, and have other things to talk about. If your idea of chatting up a girl is "Hey I'm [insert name] and I SPEAK SIXTEEN LANGUAGES THIS WAS MY LIFE GOAL WHICH I HAVE ACHIEVED! Want to hear me say 'Reward me for my perseverance with a blowjob!' in Zulu?", then maybe not.
I didn't ask whether you think the goal is possible. I'll be judge of that. I simply asked whether you would find someone who speaks 16 languages attractive or not.

which i answered.
Reply 137
I'd be impressed.
i only speak english so wouldn;t really matter to me.
That's pretty cool, but it depends, because you tread the fine line between douche-baggery and geeky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending