Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At some point in the next ten weeks I'm getting an op "there" to remove a lump. Unfortunately its right next to the most sensitive part so do want to get rid of it but to say I'm worried is putting it mildy. I was given warning that it'll involve an injection into me bits - and then the doctor will obviously do her thing with the lump with me numb but still wide awake. I hate injections anywhere but the thought of someone sticking a needle in "there" makes me want to vomit. I know ten weeks is a long way off, but I'm still nervous. The dr said that she wants to do a "sims speculum exam" at the same time and I've got no idea what that is, it doesn't sound very pleasant though? They did say there would be two nurses in the room (one to hold each side open!) and I'm trying to find someone who can wait for me while I get the op and then drive me home after, so I don't have to get a bus, but I'm really worried - has anyone else ever been through similar?

I did ask my GP for reassurance but she grinned and pointed out that maybe I should be happy they are removing the lump...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    At some point in the next ten weeks I'm getting an op "there" to remove a lump. Unfortunately its right next to the most sensitive part so do want to get rid of it but to say I'm worried is putting it mildy. I was given warning that it'll involve an injection into me bits - and then the doctor will obviously do her thing with the lump with me numb but still wide awake. I hate injections anywhere but the thought of someone sticking a needle in "there" makes me want to vomit. I know ten weeks is a long way off, but I'm still nervous. The dr said that she wants to do a "sims speculum exam" at the same time and I've got no idea what that is, it doesn't sound very pleasant though? They did say there would be two nurses in the room (one to hold each side open!) and I'm trying to find someone who can wait for me while I get the op and then drive me home after, so I don't have to get a bus, but I'm really worried - has anyone else ever been through similar?

I did ask my GP for reassurance but she grinned and pointed out that maybe I should be happy they are removing the lump...
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    the sims speculum exam is basically just a metal cylinder inserted into your vajayay. it might be a bit uncomfy but it's not painful. you'll be fine honestly just be brave. hope it goes well
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    From the original post I had no idea if OP was male or female.....

ReputationRep:
    pm me if you want

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Surely this should mean it's all worthwhile?

(Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    :lolwut:
    Because it's sort of on the inside .. I can't really explain it without drawing a diagram but it's between folds of skin... so apparently they need the nurses to keep everything apart or something.. I've got hypertrophy anyway (meaning things there are lot bigger than they should be) so it would be more complicated without nurse I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Same :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You're female, I think?

A speculum exam is basically an exam where your vagina will be held open with a speculum so that she can see inside/see your cervix properly. The nurses will only be holding your legs at the correct angle if necessary - otherwise your legs will be on stirrups.

Anyho, the injection should be okay. Just take your mind off it - chat to the doctor/nurses about trivial things, think about something nice, etc. It shouldn't hurt more than a normal injection in your arm, but if you're really worried about it hurting, ask if they have any kind of numbing cream that they could use beforehand so you don't actually feel the needle going in.

Getting the bus should be fine - it won't make you nauseous or woozy, you'll just be a bit sore.

Yes I am a girl ... i thought that as soon as I'd posted it, oops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    Me neither and I work in medical law (and thus read medical records and reports all day). Wtf / Why would they need two nurses to hold it open, whichever 'orifice', we are talking about here?

ReputationRep:
    I'll volunteer to help you through this traumatic period in your life. I'd be glad to hold your... hand while you're in the operating theatre.

ReputationRep:
    I knew you were female once I read "speculum".

I'd hate to think how a speculum would be used with a man :lolwut:

ReputationRep:

Thanks for that lovely mental image :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Your GP is horrendous.

ReputationRep:

"A speculum (Latin for "mirror") (plural specula or speculums) is a medical tool for investigating body cavities".

You can get loads of different types of specula, not just vaginal ones =/

ReputationRep:
    'Pics or GTFO' would be somewhat inappropriate here me thinks.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.