The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ok so just buy the bread and toast what goes stale. and if you dont have a toaster, make a fire on the kitchen table and toast it on that.
Reply 21
umm...no, I dont have a toaster, and I live in a 400 year old building, so burning things isn't going to happen.
No toaster? What college are you at? We're allowed a toaster, but no toasted sandwich machines. We are, however, allowed to smoke in the rooms (does anyone else fail to see the logic in this?). Can sympathise with no freezer - I don't have one either and I really need it for my icepack - damn college!
Have no real solution to the bread/milk problem - I've been here 3 years too and i haven't worked it out! I throw far too much bread away; I used to buy longlife but now I can't find it any more, and i always seem to run out when I really need it! Try putting the bread in the fridge, it makes it taste funny but it's still edible and lasts longer.
As for the milk...I believe if you are at a 'northern' college (ie anywhere at the other end of Cornmarket, for me) it's the 'done thing' to go to Sainsbury's Metro in Pjs, Though possibly not if you're a scientist. It might be just lazy arts students. :wink:
Reply 23
well...its definately starting to sound like an oxford problem!
I'm at exeter - so probably half way along (not like all those rich sorts down that way...)
I am allowed a toaster but dont have one - I cant be arsed to go and buy one either...which college do you attend?
I think we're allowed to smoke in our rooms too - never tried personally so not that bothered, but I think the toasted sandwich thing is the potential for fires being pretty high if left on....but who knows!
I've also never made the run to sainsbury's in my pjs...but then I dont wear any :eek: so that would be likely to get me arrested if I did the trip wrapped in a duvet....

What to do, what to do....
bikerx23
I also dont have the time to shop every day, and wouldn't need to since I dont eat breakfast.
Also...freezing wouldn't be good as I use the bread to make sandwiches, and since I only have about 20 minutes for lunch a day, this isn't an option.

It takes about 10 minutes MAX to defrost a slice of bread.
Reply 25
Yep - but how long does it take to defrost a slice, make a sandwich and eat it? its more than the time I have.
Also, I dont have a freezer, so the argument is moribund.
Reply 26
One word: ramen.
I'm at Christ Church. So definitely southern - did you mean the rich types are the northern colleges or the ones at our end? (I would have to disagree if you meant that. Pembroke is a southern college, and they can;t be described as rich! Or maybe you have to be rich to afford to go there since they have no money of their own. OK, I'll stop Pemmy-bashing now, it's far too much fun though :wink:)
I've never been to Sainsbury's in PJs either, though I did go in subfusc once (exam at 9.30, no milk, feelign obliged to actually eat breakfast because of exams). I think a duvet might be pushing it though - would certainly cause a stir if you let go!
I'd advise trying to track down longlife bread -wonderful stuff! (remember, preservatives are good for you, they make you live longer or they wouldn't be called perservatives! :p: ) And buy a toaster - it does many wonderful things! An investment really...
Lord, I go through about 2 pints of milk a day atm!
Reply 29
haha - yea...I should really...but I made the choice between that and a (significantly more expensive) espresso machine last year and, well - you know the rest! :biggrin:
ChCh isn't too bad, little too big for my liking though - but I was actually referring to the ones up north...Still bashing pembroke is too easy...
I'll try and find some...they'll probably have it in a newsagests or something....
cheers for the advice anyway :smile:
to be fair, milk and bread are probably the cheapest things in the average student diet to buy. if you buy a bit too much and it gets wasted you are probably only wasting about 50 pence at the very most. which, no matter how poor you are, does not amount to very much at all. get over it.
Reply 31
err - no - if you cannot add constructively to the point, dont bother - money is still money - it still has to be earn during the holidays. Also, all wastage is a bad idea environmentally - and that affects me personally.
err- i did think it was a constructive addition to the thread! i'd pretty much say 50p a week is immaterial...and as for thowing a few slices of stale bread in the bin affecting you personally....hmm.

ok ok, well if you have leftover stale bread and milk you can make a bread and butter pudding (really easy just google it).
or you can feed the bread to the birds.
or you could share the bread and milk responsibility with your flatmates thereby it would pretty much always all get eaten.
i have exactly the same problem we have a freezer but its so tiny and already overfilling that if i did put bread in it would be all squashed when i came to eat it
its a good idea mademoiselle about sharing the stuff but i tried that and they ate it all b4 i got to have any as i dont eat breakfast
Reply 34
For bread I'm sticking it in the freezer and defrosting in the microwave as required.
Milk I either have it for ages and never use it, or don't buy any because that happens, and then need it! It's so annoying!
bikerx23
Obviously, as a Student, Bread and Milk are the two most important things on your shopping list...
Now, does anyone else find that it is impossible to predict how much of these you will use?
For example, on week, you buy the small carton of milk, and it all gets used up. The next, you buy the larger one, just incase, and you use about a thimble full...
The same with bread - you obviously always have to buy a loaf, but sometimes you eat it all and then are breadless for a day, but sometimes none of it gets eaten...

PLEASE! DOES ANYONE HAVE A SOLUTION TO THIS!
I know what you mean! What I do, is to not get expensive milk and bread, like just get generic brands (they're not that bad! At the end of the day, it's just bread and milk, and it's the date you use them that counts :wink: ), but get smaller portions! Only buy in bulk if you're feeding more than one person, IMO, otherwise it can be a bit of a waste - at least for me :redface:

Hope that helps,

DB_x

P.S. Was gonna mention that Acaila made an awesome post above, I agree with what she said too :smile:
bikerx23
I also dont have the time to shop every day, and wouldn't need to since I dont eat breakfast.
Also...freezing wouldn't be good as I use the bread to make sandwiches, and since I only have about 20 minutes for lunch a day, this isn't an option.

well you are in a pickle arent ya!
Long-life milk.
And i don't know about bread, I have yet to solve this problem myself.

I just buy pitta bread now, it lasts longer.
Reply 38
frozen milk is foul it seperates... anywho you dont have a freezer.

Why not buy cartons of long life milk and keep one in the fridge, others on your shelf.

I quite like long life milk. But you have to use it up like milk after it is opened. But if you buy small cubes, wastage will be minimal.

Bread, meh. Buy half loaves. Or better yet, make your own, I have lots of recipes. Bet you don't have an oven. How come you don't have a freezer? Where do you keep the vodka??
UHT milk, 35p a litre from tesco.

Latest

Trending

Trending