The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
It depends on the institution and the subject studied.
Reply 41
Fair enough people.

I am doing an accounting based degree and just wondered whether 2:1 is dumb cos so many people do this course and manage to get 1st.

Speaking of grades.. i have NOT started my revision and have just a month Gosh
Reply 42
Original post by sbarron
Are you sure there is no way you could get a 1st overall now? 2:1 is very respectable and if you end up with a 2:1 you should be happy ... but if you are close to getting a 1st proper go for it! :biggrin:
I thought I had missed a 1st as I got 69% but they bumped it up

I think mine will add up to 68:s-smilie:
Reply 43
Original post by JayDay92
No, the getting A instead of A* and spending my time having fun thing. I pretty much slack most of the year and just enjoy myself up until exam times, revise my ass of for a few weeks and get good grades (albeit if I worked even a little throughout the year I could get top grades). Doesn't matter too much to me though, as long as I get a good degree and work, who cares about the details, I've enjoyed myself.

Do you live it to like last minute?
I mean like a month before exams? is that usually enough?
I have a month now and i need to get on like a hardcore then hopefully i can aim for A's. is that what u do?
As a dyslexic, I was extremely pleased I achieved a 2:1 in my degree. I wasn't far off the 1st, but nevertheless pleased with what I achieved.

Instead of being a pompus arsewipe, hiding behind a computer screen, moaning that a 2:1 is ''average'', stop moaning and whinging and get on with your studies.
Reply 45
Original post by DancinBallerina
As a dyslexic, I was extremely pleased I achieved a 2:1 in my degree. I wasn't far off the 1st, but nevertheless pleased with what I achieved.

Instead of being a pompus arsewipe, hiding behind a computer screen, moaning that a 2:1 is ''average'', stop moaning and whinging and get on with your studies.

Yes i am from today wish me luck
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
But a lot of people don't aim and get 1st solely because of missing out on fun, they do it because they want to or they have a genuine passion for the subject which pushes them that far. And it's not impossible to achieve a 1st and have some fun, it just comes down to balance and routine.

It's also good for postgraduate applications, some universities have a minimum requirement of a 1st.

Or they just want a good job which seems to be what almost every one I know at uni striving for a first wants.

I can see both sides of it, I dont think wanting or getting a 1st automatically creates a passion since passion alone doesnt dictate getting the best grades.

A lot of people get overwhelmed when trying for a first even though they can do the work they want to relax whilst doing so so its a case of balancing grades with stress.
Original post by yashradia
Yes i am from today wish me luck

Good Luck!
Reply 48
Thanks
Reply 49
Do you live it to like last minute?
I mean like a month before exams? is that usually enough?
I have a month now and i need to get on like a hardcore then hopefully i can aim for A's. is that what u do?

I don't "like" to leave things to the last minute, but I like the overall I have a good time and get the grades so I'm not complaining. I think a month is cutting it a bit close, especially if you've got a lot of exams. I've got 2 chem exams, one bio, and one english, so I've got about 2 months, which should be okay :smile:
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
The amount of work required for a First compared to a 2:1 is often a huge increase. A 2:1 is the ideal degree class really - it puts you in the top 50% of graduates (so the top 25% of the population, at least academically and as a rough guide) but whilst it requires research and work on your part, you still have time to do things outside of work.

A 2:2 or Third is frankly worthless if you're hunting for a job.

My mate with a 2.2 in Economics from Cambridge has a high paying job, has quit a few times and had several equally well paid jobs to choose from. It simply isn't that black and white. Broadly speaking you're doing yourself no favours though getting below a 2:1 though.
There is no arbitrary line that defines "clever" and it certainly isn't getting a first. For a start the difficulty of achieving one can vary massively between courses and universities. Computer Science students at my uni: 40% of them get a first. Whereas for things like History and English it's more like 10/11%.

There is nothing wrong with a 2:1 if that is what you are capable of. It's all relative in terms of being an achievement, if someone should have got a good first had they done some work but are lazy and scrape a 2:1 that is very little achievement. If the judgement is being made in the context of getting jobs then a 2:1 is fine as well.

A first will always be better but something not being the best doesn't automatically mean it isn't good.
Does it look bad to tell people you got 2:1 knowing you fall between average and clever line? Does one have to be shy to tell that?

I just got my coursework grade today and i am no way going to get 1st now :frown: feel so down and gutted with myself:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

I can't believe you've got so many negative reps for this.

I got a 2:1 and was absolutely gutted. I haven't really told anyone other than my family, my boyfriend and my best friend that I got a 2:1. My current employer doesn't even know (I wouldn't lie to them about it, but it was never asked so why would I volunteer an average classification???). People seem to think it's something to be proud of, but it's on par with getting a B, which isn't something I'd shout about unless I was actually crap at a subject and was amazed I even passed.

+ rep since I know where you're coming from.
Reply 53
Original post by Hello Laura!

I got a 2:1 and was absolutely gutted. I haven't really told anyone other than my family, my boyfriend and my best friend that I got a 2:1. My current employer doesn't even know (I wouldn't lie to them about it, but it was never asked so why would I volunteer an average classification???). People seem to think it's something to be proud of, but it's on par with getting a B, which isn't something I'd shout about unless I was actually crap at a subject and was amazed I even passed.

I understand your pain and point of view.

However, you achieved a 2:1. This was because your work over the 3/4 years wasn't "good enough" for a "1:1". Perhaps your routine, lifestyle, study ethic, natural ability etc, simply wasn't good enough.

DEAL WITH IT! Stop moaning and being bitter about it, what's done is done.

Learn from whatever mistakes you made (if any), and rest on the fact that these 'good jobs' require lots of other factors rather than the degree class someone got!
Original post by Knowslian
I understand your pain and point of view.

However, you achieved a 2:1. This was because your work over the 3/4 years wasn't "good enough" for a "1:1". Perhaps your routine, lifestyle, study ethic, natural ability etc, simply wasn't good enough.

DEAL WITH IT! Stop moaning and being bitter about it, what's done is done.

Learn from whatever mistakes you made (if any), and rest on the fact that these 'good jobs' require lots of other factors rather than the degree class someone got!

Actually, it has a lot to do with one exam I had to sit on a computer which I couldn't read properly. And the boy next to me kept scratching his face so I had to re-read the question each time he did that. Really annoying.

Plus I wasn't aiming for a 1:1, cause what is that?
Reply 55
Absolutely nothing wrong with a 2:1, particularly if you're averaging over 65%. Getting a 2:1 is unlikely to preclude you from doing any job you could care to mention.

My brother got a 2:1 and he's doing very well for himself. He's got an IQ of about 900 billion, so if he got a 2:1 then surely getting a 2:1 doesn't mean you're not clever.

I would quite like to get a 1st (I still can if I ace my finals), but I wouldn't be upset with a 2:1.
Reply 56
yh it does now jump off a bridge
Reply 57
Does it look bad to tell people you got 2:1 knowing you fall between average and clever line? Does one have to be shy to tell that?

I just got my coursework grade today and i am no way going to get 1st now :frown: feel so down and gutted with myself:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

Some people wish to do AS good AS you, so no worries :smile:
It's like A levels counting for little after uni. After your first graduate job, whether you beamed in on a 1st or a 2:1, or got lucky and got taken on with a 2:2, future employers will care more about your work experience and credentials rather than what you got at uni.

If I graduate with a 2:1 I can say I'd quite frankly be over the moon.
Original post by Hello Laura!

It's not really like getting a B though, because you have to be good to get into university to study the subject in the first place.

I mean, everyone at my uni has to have at least A*AA to get in, and obviously about 70% of them get a 2.1, so I wouldn't really say it was average and equivalent to getting a B, simply because the level of people you start with is higher.

You should be pleased with your classification. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending