Turn on thread page Beta

worry too much about girlfriend getting pregnant? watch

hello, i dont really know where to ask for help.
    but when i was with my ex and now with my current girlfriend, i worry huge amounts about them getting pregnant even if we use a condom and i check they are never broken...
    but my current misses has been with like 5 people and never been pregnant. but i just over worry.

im only 18 and been with 2 people, and relatively un-experienced.... but i worry so much that i just need advice on what to do & dont want to bother my gp about it or anything...

thanks to anyone who replies, your really helping...

ReputationRep:
    Is she on some kind of hormonal contraception? If so, and you're using condoms, the chances of her getting pregnant are almost zero.

Your GP isn't really going to be able to do anything about it for you as there's not much the guy can do beyond wearing a condom (and doing so properly), so you need to talk to your girlfriend about your fears and what you can do as a couple to reduce the risk of pregnancy.

ReputationRep:
    It's statistically not all that likely if you're using contraception, so try not to worry. Is your girlfriend on the pill or any other kind of contraception? This is enough on its own for almost everyone, but if you use condoms too it becomes so unlikely it can be termed pretty much impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Abstinence is the only guaranteed method of circumventing pregnancy. That isn't to say that you should practice it, but there is a certain degree of sense in questioning whether a sexual relationship is a good idea for you whilst you are so continuously occupied with the fear of conceiving a child.

The best suggestion that anyone could give you at the moment would be to communicate these concerns to your girlfriend. Is she aware of how much you worry about the prospect of pregnancy? The more obvious one is to look at your situation as regards contraception - combining condom use with your girlfriend being on the Pill is naturally going to give you more peace of mind than just one or the other. Do try to communicate your concerns and she should have no reason to be angry with you for doing so - after all, they surely have some basis in you considering her own wellbeing.

(Original post by Blueflare)
    It's statistically not all that likely if you're using contraception, so try not to worry. Is your girlfriend on the pill or any other kind of contraception? This is enough on its own for almost everyone, but if you use condoms too it becomes so unlikely it can be termed pretty much impossible.
    hi, thankyou for replying.. but no she isnt on the pill nor does she want to go on it... i brought this up earlier and she was like, no and explained why which is irrelevant.

and i think that ill probably not get as worrid as the years go on, i just want to get less worried sooner!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hi, thankyou for replying.. but no she isnt on the pill nor does she want to go on it... i brought this up earlier and she was like, no and explained why which is irrelevant.

and i think that ill probably not get as worrid as the years go on, i just want to get less worried sooner!
    If hormones are her issue with the pill, there are non-hormonal methods of contraception available. (I'm not trying to pry, I'm just mentioning this as I think it may help.) Perhaps you could talk to her about this, and see whether she would be willing to talk to a GP about these options? I don't know anything about them myself so I have no further info.

I also think that it might be a good idea to talk to your girlfriend about what she thinks she would want to do in the unfortunate event of an unwanted pregnancy. This may make you less worried or more worried depending on what she says lol.

There are thousands of people all around the world having sex using condoms all the time, and a fairly small number of them fall pregnant. Also, even when people are having unprotected sex for the purpose of conception, it is considered quite normal for it to take them up to 6 months to conceive a child. I'm not saying you should have a cavalier attitude to contraception of course, I'm just trying to help you worry a little less. It is difficult to find the right balance, I understand.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 21, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.