Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cardigan has shrunk! Refund? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey, my dad had just washed a Cardigan of mine and it now so small I doubt it would even fit my two year old nephew! The care label does say handwash only..however, the website page says it's machine washable! Would I be able to get a refund or shall I just bin it? I've only had it for 4 days!

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it back just to try it imo due to the conflicting washing information. It wont do any harm to try just dont buckle if they say you should of followed the label but dont expect them to be easy giving.

Gl

ReputationRep:
    REFUND! where is it from though and have you still got the receipt?

Take it back!

Where did you get it from? . . If it's Primark = there's your answer! (no.1 reason why I don't waste my money in that tatt of a shop. No offence to avid/keen primark shoppers).

ReputationRep:
    If it were quite expensive or a top i really liked I'd probably fight for a refund. Damn i hate it when I buy expensive clothes from major shops in Liverpool and Manchester city center and wash them once and then their to small for me, I wont wear them again and it feels like such a waste of money

ReputationRep:
    Take it back and print off a screenshot of the website just in case.

ReputationRep:
    if the label said handwash, and you machine washed it, why are you surprised it shrunk :p:
    i don't think you should be allowed a refund but in general if you pester enough you might still get one.

ReputationRep:
    It's from Topshop, it cost me £40! Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    1) Take print-out of website page stating that you can machine-wash it;
    2) Tell them that you followed the care instructions provided by Topshop on the website, so are seeking an exchange (you won't get a refund since it really shouldn't have been machine washed) or (if the washing thing really bothers you) a credit note;
    3) If they say no then ask to see the manager, repeat the entire thing. If it's still a no, make a point of asking for his/her full name and the store's precise address to pass onto Head Office and explain that you will be passing it on when you file a complaint. If they've been rude to you as well then make a particular point of the fact that you will be reporting that to Head Office as well, and preferably have a friend there to act as a witness any poor service. If they still don't cave, file the complaint and hope for the best. F. Hinds and M&S have both given me refunds and apologies when I've complained to Head Office before, when the managers were both unhelpful and unprofessional.

Really, they don't have to offer you anything because the instructions were clearly printed on the label and (unfortunately) Topshop online is a completely separate company from Topshop the store. Either the manager or Head Office might offer you an exchange/credit note as a goodwill gesture though, if you are *polite*, persistent and assertive .

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Topshop are usually fairly generous with giving refunds/exchanges so I reckon you should try. Though make sure you tell them/show them the page that said it could be machine washed. It's a bit silly to shove it in the mashine if it says hand wash on the label

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.