Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do so few people recommend Pentax D-SLRs? The new K-5 is a great camera (basically a K-7 that can take low light photos) and you can get good value used lenses for any Pentax camera.

Cropped sensors will be enough for almost anything in a few years' time anyway, so the upgrade path to full frame argument doesn't hold much water - especially for amateurs!

I got my first D-SLR in January (a K-7), and once I can get hold of a few good lenses for it (I have my eyes set on that 31mm Limited, thought it might be slightly over budget ) I'm sure I'll be able to take photos as good as anyone using a Canikon kit that probably cost them twice as much.

Sorry for the rant; it just seems strange that so few people use Pentax, especially amongst the amateurs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by und)
    Why do so few people recommend Pentax D-SLRs? The new K-5 is a great camera (basically a K-7 that can take low light photos) and you can get good value used lenses for any Pentax camera.

Cropped sensors will be enough for almost anything in a few years' time anyway, so the upgrade path to full frame argument doesn't hold much water - especially for amateurs!

I got my first D-SLR in January (a K-7), and once I can get hold of a few good lenses for it (I have my eyes set on that 31mm Limited, thought it might be slightly over budget ) I'm sure I'll be able to take photos as good as anyone using a Canikon kit that probably cost them twice as much.

Sorry for the rant; it just seems strange that so few people use Pentax, especially amongst the amateurs.
    I always thought it was because their bodies were exactly the same as Samsung's but just more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's because Pentax is less 'mainstream' than Canon and Nikon.
    It's also less well known, so less people would recommend it.

Personally, I've only heard good things about Pentax cameras even if I have a Canon.

ReputationRep:
    Pentax are in the same boat as other smaller camera companies like Olympus, not only do they make cameras, they make optical equipment ranging from medical endoscopy to lenses for your glasses, the problem is that they simply don't invest the same amount of money in marketing. Nikon can afford to hire Ashton Kutcher for their ads, and suddenly every teenage girl and gay guy in the world wants a D3100 as their first camera.

The more expensive lenses are supposed to be brilliant, especially the primes, and on the weathersealed bodies you've got an incredibly robust set up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dd1989)
    lenses for your glasses
    Nope - Specsavers bought the Pentax brand. They're just the same lenses as they always used.

Nikon make slit lamps and keratometers and Canon make tonometers and autorefractors (I'm sure they all make some kind of medical instruments).

So it's not just Pentax that manufacture other optical equipment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I always thought it was because their bodies were exactly the same as Samsung's but just more expensive.
    Actually Samsung get their bodies from Pentax, plus/minus a few components,

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know Samsung had any D-SLRs other than that GX-20 which is getting quite old now.

ReputationRep:
    Old Pentax primes are pretty tasty. It's just happens that the world seems to get streamlined into a Canikon choice, really (I'm as guilty of this as anyone else).

ReputationRep:
    Nope - Specsavers bought the Pentax brand. They're just the same lenses as they always used.

Nikon make slit lamps and keratometers and Canon make tonometers and autorefractors (I'm sure they all make some kind of medical instruments).

So it's not just Pentax that manufacture other optical equipment.
    Soon as I read 'slit lamps', I knew who was posting. :lol:

To answer, nothing is wrong with Pentax. They just don't have a market share to rival Canon and Nikon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    How did I guess it was you?
    I couldn't help myself - Specsavers and their "Pentax" lenses just seems a bit deceitful to me!

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't help myself - Specsavers and their "Pentax" lenses just seems a bit deceitful to me!
    They're technically not wrong, though. It's worse when they say that AR coatings 'reduce glare from car headlamps at night' - yes, they do, but not in a way that a person is going to notice. Not oncoming ones, anyway...

I think I treated myself to a pair of Nikon lenses when we thought my myopia had stabilised (it was definitely something special, think it was the lenses, but it might have been the good frame) ... then the buggering prescription changed again, went down another half dioptre! :mad: Oh well, maybe one day.

How are tricks with you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    They're technically not wrong, though. It's worse when they say that AR coatings 'reduce glare from car headlamps at night' - yes, they do, but not in a way that a person is going to notice. Not oncoming ones, anyway...

I think I treated myself to a pair of Nikon lenses when we thought my myopia had stabilised (it was definitely something special, think it was the lenses, but it might have been the good frame) ... then the buggering prescription changed again, went down another half dioptre! :mad: Oh well, maybe one day.

How are tricks with you?
    I got new specs which are all singing all dancing, 1.67 MAR Transitions, but the damn frame keeps hurting my ears - still not been able to fix it!

Lectures are all but finished (pharmacology going to the bitter end) and I'm getting the end of year feeling already!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 31, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.