Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Calling a girl 'little sister'... watch

guys, when you call a girl your sister/little sister does it basically mean you have no interest in her romantically?

ReputationRep:
    why would you call them sister?

ReputationRep:
    i sometimes say..

'HEY SISTA''

to my gyal sometimes. but thats because shes black

ReputationRep:
    No, it probably means I've been playing too much Bioshock.

ReputationRep:
    That's just weird and out of place. I'd hate it if any of my friends called me that!

ReputationRep:
    i hate that! this guy i really liked started saying to me stuff like, 'you're like a sister to me', which eventually developed into him just calling me sis! meanwhile, in my head i was screaming NO, NO! and metaphorically banging my head on the table. I still haven't figured out whether he actually likes me back.

so i think that either he IS romantically interested in you, and is trying to cover it up, or really, does not have any interest in you. either way, at least you know he feels close enough to you to call you his sister.

ReputationRep:
    Nah it's just friend-zoned beta males trying to make themselves feel better about the situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    No, it probably means I've been playing too much Bioshock.
    wow:eek:i was thinking of the exact same thing when i read the thread title.
    Maybe she can call him big daddy.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, you're the first man who will forever remain a virgin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandingo666)
    Nah it's just friend-zoned beta males trying to make themselves feel better about the situation.
    You know when you've got an idea in your head, but can't find a way to express it, and then you read a perfect description of it somewhere? This post did that for me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by potatoesareveg)
    i hate that! this guy i really liked started saying to me stuff like, 'you're like a sister to me', which eventually developed into him just calling me sis! meanwhile, in my head i was screaming NO, NO! and metaphorically banging my head on the table. I still haven't figured out whether he actually likes me back.
    I bet you're even more into him since he started doing that

ReputationRep:
    i know many people that call guys brothers... and viza versa its not if their girlfriend material its if your so close to them their so close your like brother or sisters...
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I call my guy friend a brother because I think of him as my brother.. :P

I guess it probably means you dont have the feeling for her romantically.

But then, it's probably a good way to do it if you want to hide your feeeling.

However, if the girl likes you, she mgiht be a bit upset.

(Original post by T-Toe)
    Huh? im a girl btw, im asking this to guys... just wondering why some guys like to call female friends their sister

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    Does the Pope not count?

ReputationRep:
    OP are you of S. Asian heritage? Because I am and in my experience this is the only context in which a guy of a similar age will call you a 'sister'.

Personally, I find it a bit patronising. It is like their going out of their way to emphasise that they dont want a romantic relationship - but who says the girl was looking for one in the first place !??
    Basically, if a guy calls you a 'sister' it means they don't see you as girlfriend material. Hope that helps .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Huh? im a girl btw, im asking this to guys... just wondering why some guys like to call female friends their sister
    Then ignore what I've said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helpful_Charlie)
    Does the Pope not count?
    We all know the pope has had some

ReputationRep:
    I guess, that would be one way of letting a girl know you're not interested.

So long as you both have a mutual disgust for incest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Toe)
    We all know the pope has had some
    lol

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.