Turn on thread page Beta

So let me get this straight... watch

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the no-fly zone in Libya.. the Arab League gave the nod and their support towards it... the US takes command... and now because people are condemning it, especially America, accusing them of always getting involved in everything, their now backing down... and the Arab League have condemned the bombing of key targets... leaving us at the front of it all, with Italy giving us a few bases here and there, and france/canada/norway donating a couple of fighter jets here and there...

What are we going to do?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not really upto date with current affairs and politics etc but I was listening to the radio and I think they were saying the Arab league only really gave the nod to the no-fly zone and they're not too happy with the more active military intervention e.g. bombing.

ReputationRep:
    lol it was funny when he dashed the glass at him hahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theboilermantr15)
    I'm not really upto date with current affairs and politics etc but I was listening to the radio and I think they were saying the Arab league only really gave the nod to the no-fly zone and they're not too happy with the more active military intervention e.g. bombing.
    How on earth did they think we are going to achieve the 'no fly zone' Apart from bombing military targets?

ReputationRep:
    I just heard the guy on BBC news discussing the newspaper front covers that it was the Arab League that were urging the UN to put the no-fly zone in place, in the first place...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I just heard the guy on BBC news discussing the newspaper front covers that it was the Arab League that were urging the UN to put the no-fly zone in place, in the first place...
    Indeed, it was one of the main reasons why the UN voted for the no fly zone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Indeed, it was one of the main reasons why the UN voted for the no fly zone
    I don't get how they can condemn the bombing of the key military targets, when thats really one of the only ways in this situation to impose a no fly zone? Surely they expected it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Regarding the no-fly zone in Libya.. the Arab League gave the nod and their support towards it... the US takes command... and now because people are condemning it, especially America, accusing them of always getting involved in everything, their now backing down... and the Arab League have condemned the bombing of key targets... leaving us at the front of it all, with Italy giving us a few bases here and there, and france/canada/norway donating a couple of fighter jets here and there...

What are we going to do?
    Arab League have not condemned it. The general sec took back his comments reiterated his support and claimed he was misquoted.

No one in America is condemning it. There is muted support with many wanting to see a European commander.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    How on earth did they think we are going to achieve the 'no fly zone' Apart from bombing military targets?
    Bingo, how do you achieve a No-Fly zone without taking out AA Installations, airports ect.

Not to mention the fact Gaddafi has a superior land force, installing a No Fly Zone would have achieved nothing for the rebels.

ReputationRep:
    If you want I could quite easily send in the 501st, but it will cost you.

ReputationRep:
    france/canada/norway donating a couple of fighter jets here and there...
    I think France has made the biggest contribution outside the US, certainly bigger than the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mbob)
    I think France has made the biggest contribution outside the US, certainly bigger than the UK.
    Air based contribution yes, but the UK has also been firing cruise missiles from a submarine on patrol in the med.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.