Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Trying not to...BREAK THE LAW (!!)...while driving on a motorway watch

ReputationRep:
    OK this is good progress, so basically they can only stop you if theyve been following you for a while. I only speed like this when the road's are pretty clear and I keep an excellent watch of the cars around so I guess unless the car is unmarked, I should be ok.

Also, what about those cars that are just parked on the side, hidden away and measure your speed, surely you can make the 'i was changing lane to overtake' excuse for them ie. cos they haven't had a chance to see your driving for a while...

ReputationRep:
    the accelerator sometimes gets stuck :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    "I'm an undercover cop, get back into your car before you blow my cover!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spikeooa)
    Tell them its really good fun. Just keep your eyes open. Police cars aren't too discreet and you can see if there's anyone standing on a flyover bridge. If you get caught, you get caught, explain that you were very late for something. Also don't drive dangerously weaving in and out of heavy motorway traffic if at all possible. Speed according to your surroundings. I know the law says that >70 is dangerous but seriously, come on. I could get to 70 on most 30 roads on the outskirts of town and not feel like I was endangering anyone if the roads were quiet enough. If you were to get caught would it be your first offence?
    Thank you thats excellent advice!

Yeah ive driven 3000 miles now without any offence of any kind. I feel im pretty safe to be honest...The only way to speed in heavy traffic is to tailgate like mad and I would never do that. And the only time ive reached 110 was at 2 am at night...

ReputationRep:
    I was going to say it's the pedal, but then it's a BMW and not a Toyota. How about "It was built for going fast on the Autobahns in Germany, not slow on the British motorways!"?

ReputationRep:
    Why's the car important? I drive in excess of 100 in my 1.2L hatchback if the roads nice and clear in good conditions (safer than going at 80 when it's busy and wet). As long as you're down below 90 when you see anything you're fine.

ReputationRep:
    im going to call troll on this one

ReputationRep:
    ok more questions!

1. Variable speed limits on the M6: how do they work? Is it a measure of average speed or speeding at one camera or speeding at several cameras or just speeding way over 70 before you get caught

2. After it gets dark is it a lot harder for police cars to catch the evidence needed to convict you? Also, are there many many fewer police cars out there after 10pm?

3. If you are caught at say 95 in light traffic ie. safe conditions - what are the worst and best charges you could get?

Thanks for your help everyone

ReputationRep:
    My dog is pregnant, then point to imaginery dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan3va)
    im going to call troll on this one
    no not at all this is really helping me speed to be honest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jklmn)
    Why's the car important? I drive in excess of 100 in my 1.2L hatchback if the roads nice and clear in good conditions (safer than going at 80 when it's busy and wet). As long as you're down below 90 when you see anything you're fine.
    wicked - i just said it because one could argue you have to make a lot less effort to be speeding in a more powerful car and you could possibly be unware that you were driving so fast

ReputationRep:
    I hope your car gets taken off you.

All being well, shouldn't take long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I hope your car gets taken off you.

All being well, shouldn't take long.
    Stop being a playa hater

ReputationRep:
    You need a poo.

ReputationRep:
    1. Variable speed limits on the M6: how do they work? Is it a measure of average speed or speeding at one camera or speeding at several cameras or just speeding way over 70 before you get caught

2. After it gets dark is it a lot harder for police cars to catch the evidence needed to convict you? Also, are there many many fewer police cars out there after 10pm?

3. If you are caught at say 95 in light traffic ie. safe conditions - what are the worst and best charges you could get? ie. without dangerous driving / tailgating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    "I'm a total tool with no regards for the law"

That should see you sorted out.

If the Police stop you for speed, they'll have been watching you for a few miles and will know you weren't taken evasive action, that you weren't overtaking and that you weren't escaping from a white Fiat Panda [kudos if you get the reference]. What they'll know is the truth: you're a moron who just wants to go fast.
    I want to say that reference was The Italian Job (original), but they came about after that film. Can't think of of what it could be though...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by YOYOYOYOYOYO)
    There must be a way to stop them from giving me points or give me a lesser offence or just protection from getting disqualified...

I mean obviously I would sound really apologetic but after that im not sure how to act?

...I was unaware of my speed - is that a good thing?
    ...I was overtaking?
    ....A lorry was coming into my lane, i had no choice

etc
    Unless you have a pregnant women in the back about to give birth I doubt you will have much of an excuse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    There aren't any excuses.

Even if there were to be an excuse e.g. a dying relative, you'd be expected to keep your cool and go the normal speed - my dad tried this excuse once and it got him a £60 fine + 3 lovely points on his license.

fhl
    how fast was he going?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YOYOYOYOYOYO)
    Stop being a playa hater
    Nah, I only dislike playas.

I hate idiots. That's where you come in.

ReputationRep:
    say you didnt see them.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.