Turn on thread page Beta

Trying not to...BREAK THE LAW (!!)...while driving on a motorway watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Nah, I only dislike playas.

I hate idiots. That's where you come in.
    I think its quite stupid to not draw a distinction between safe harmless speeding and moronic tailgating and accident-prone speeding where you're actually a threat to people. You have no way of knowing which one I am; only my reassurances that im the former. Because I don't want points im just trying to get some good strategies to make sure I don't get any.

Out of interest, what speed do you drive at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YOYOYOYOYOYO)
    how fast was he going?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If you want to go fast use a race track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    If you want to go fast use a race track.
    how fast do you drive on an empty motorway?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    how fast do you drive on an empty motorway?
    70. I don't speed. I don't want to get in to trouble. I don't want points. I don't want to lose my license. I like to be in control.

ReputationRep:
    70. I don't speed. I don't want to get in to trouble. I don't want points. I don't want to lose my license. I like to be in control.
    lol yea right

the problem is that everyone speeds, thats obvious

you're all hypocrites if you're telling me not to speed - whatever the degree

ReputationRep:
    I think its quite stupid to not draw a distinction between safe harmless speeding and moronic tailgating and accident-prone speeding where you're actually a threat to people. You have no way of knowing which one I am; only my reassurances that im the former. Because I don't want points im just trying to get some good strategies to make sure I don't get any.

Out of interest, what speed do you drive at?
    Evidence:
    You've driven ~3000miles
    You regularly exceed the speed limit by more than 50% and see no reason why this is wrong
    You're actively seeking ways of avoiding punishment should you be caught while breaking the law

Question: would you seek ways of getting off a shoplifting charge? It's equally as illegal...

Laws are binary. You're either breaking them or you're not. You are. You deserve to be caught and stopped.

Btw, speeding in excess of 100mph is, normally, an instant ban. Enjoy!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    lol yea right

the problem is that everyone speeds, thats obvious

you're all hypocrites if you're telling me not to speed - whatever the degree
    Meh think what you like. Honestly I don't speed though. If you knew me in real life you wouldn't be surprised.

Speed if you want, but there isn't an excuse out there that will get you out of trouble if you are caught. Limits are there for a good reason.

ReputationRep:
    Speed limit is there for a reason. And the fact you're preparing to break the speed limit, preparing yourself for a possible situation with the police and how to get out of said situation, quite frankly sickens me.

I had the unfortunate experience of having to wait in a queue of traffic, watching an ambulance pick up the body of a young girl who was hit by a speeding Mercedes, she later died in hospital.

We've all gone over the speed limit at one point, accidentally or not, but I can assure you after seeing that I like to stay firmly in control of my vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    I like how you've edited the OP and the title....

If you were "trying not to break the law" you wouldn't be speeding. Prat.

ReputationRep:
    Evidence:
    You've driven ~3000miles
    You regularly exceed the speed limit by more than 50% and see no reason why this is wrong
    You're actively seeking ways of avoiding punishment should you be caught while breaking the law
    The first is good for me, i haven't been caught. If you drive so badly you reduce the threshold at which people stop you and are more likely to be caught

Laws are binary. You're either breaking them or you're not. You are. You deserve to be caught and stopped.
    That means 90% of the general public are equally as bad as me? Also, it means people who download software are similarly bad? Im certain you do the latter and you still havent answered about how fast you drive

The problem, my friend, with trying to abide by extreme interpretations of laws is that it invariably exposes your own hypocrisies.

ReputationRep:
    Meh think what you like. Honestly I don't speed though. If you knew me in real life you wouldn't be surprised.

Speed if you want, but there isn't an excuse out there that will get you out of trouble if you are caught.
    Good for you. Shame there aren't more people like you on the roads! Repped.

ReputationRep:
    Prat.

Summed up perfectly.

ReputationRep:
    i think most people get away with averaging around 80 and thats not crime of the century and you wouldn't get pulled up on it, i've driven in pretty heavy traffic at 85 with everyone literally doing the same on the m6 towards manchester. with police on the bridge above with their cameras and nothing happened there. but anyone who comes up the fast lane doing like 100 i just think to myself what an utter knob. just leave 10 minutes earlier...

ReputationRep:
    Hey

1. Variable speed limits on the M6: how do they work? Is it a measure of average speed or speeding at one camera or speeding at several cameras or just speeding way over 70 before you get caught

2. After it gets dark is it a lot harder for police cars to catch the evidence needed to convict you? Also, are there many many fewer police cars out there after 10pm?

3. If you are caught at say 95 in light traffic ie. safe conditions - what are the worst and best charges you could get? ie. without dangerous driving / tailgating

Thanks for your help everyone
    1) When variable speed limits are in place there will be a series of cameras. You are timed between them and if you arrive at a camera quicker than the speed limit allows then you will get a speeding ticket.

2) If anything it is easier for cops. They are doing the exact same thing as normal, watching the traffic to see if anybody is speeding. A normal motorist on the other hand has a much harder time of things at night. Next time you're on the motorway, look in your rear view mirror when you overtake somebody, all you see is the headlights of the car behind you, you can't tell if its a cop car or not.

3) 95mph on the motorway would be 6 points on your licence no matter what the conditions were. If you have held your licence for less than 2 years then this will mean that you lose your licence until you have resat both your theory and practical.

Just don't be a retard and stick to a sensible speed on the motorways. The safe rule is that so long as you're not going faster than all of the cars around you then you're probably safe as the cops will only really puruse somebody who is going much faster than everybody else on that stretch of road at that time.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of get what the OP is saying, as when you're driving on motorways between about 1-5am, there is literally no traffic, and even during the day if it's not too busy the fast lane can be solely used by those drivers going >80mph, who are not endangering anyone, and so it seems odd that you could be banned from driving and fined in some circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    n May 2010 the new Coalition government pledged to scrap public funding for speed cameras and cut the Road Safety Grant from £95 million to £57 million.

Good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mackemforever)
    1) When variable speed limits are in place there will be a series of cameras. You are timed between them and if you arrive at a camera quicker than the speed limit allows then you will get a speeding ticket.

2) If anything it is easier for cops. They are doing the exact same thing as normal, watching the traffic to see if anybody is speeding. A normal motorist on the other hand has a much harder time of things at night. Next time you're on the motorway, look in your rear view mirror when you overtake somebody, all you see is the headlights of the car behind you, you can't tell if its a cop car or not.

3) 95mph on the motorway would be 6 points on your licence no matter what the conditions were. If you have held your licence for less than 2 years then this will mean that you lose your licence until you have resat both your theory and practical.

Just don't be a retard and stick to a sensible speed on the motorways. The safe rule is that so long as you're not going faster than all of the cars around you then you're probably safe as the cops will only really puruse somebody who is going much faster than everybody else on that stretch of road at that time.
    Thank you so much for your answer.

Oh and on point number 2 (ofcourse I realised what you pointed out about the headlights)- surely the cop wont be driving as fast as me though? I mean consider the situation...

I enter a motorway and start driving at 90 mph. Either I overtake a cop that then sees me - but id slow down if i see the car is a cop or...a cop is driving at 90+ mph on his normal duties are then starts to get close to me and realises im driving that fast - is the latter actually possible?

Also - often on the M40 there are many many cars doing 85-90 in the fast lane - how does a cop deal with that?

ReputationRep:
    The first is good for me, i haven't been caught. If you drive so badly you reduce the threshold at which people stop you and are more likely to be caught

That means 90% of the general public are equally as bad as me? Also, it means people who download software are similarly bad? Im certain you do the latter and you still havent answered about how fast you drive

The problem, my friend, with trying to abide by extreme interpretations of laws is that it invariably exposes your own hypocrisies.
    The first is bad, means you're inexperienced and naive. I've done in excess of 20,000miles but don't think this is adequate reason for speeding.
    I havent driven for several months seeing as I'm not in the country, but when I am, I abide by the law. My previous job treated civil offences sternly so taking the risk wasn't worth it. And I use itunes, so illegal downloading just gets me loads of stuff I can't watch.
    Sorry for being so predictable and law abiding. Really sucks to lose an argument, eh?

ReputationRep:
    The first is bad, means you're inexperienced and naive. I've done in excess of 20,000miles but don't think this is adequate reason for speeding.
    I havent driven for several months seeing as I'm not in the country, but when I am, I abide by the law. My previous job treated civil offences sternly so taking the risk wasn't worth it. And I use itunes, so illegal downloading just gets me loads of stuff I can't watch.
    Sorry for being so predictable and law abiding. Really sucks to lose an argument, eh?
    Read some of the posts in this thread about moderate speed being ok -they're the ones being honest.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.