Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CombineHarvester)
    Actually you're wrong. The sorts of people who are attracted to the EDL are generally white working class men who want better opportunities, stuff like jobs, housing etc. There was a documentary about them called "Young, British and Angry" I suggest you watch it, it gives an insight into why people join the EDL.
    If that was the case, then the EDL would be against immigrants and all immigrants at that. It is not the case however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scottish)
    If that was the case, then the EDL would be against immigrants and all immigrants at that. It is not the case however.
    They have a lot of support in Northern towns where there is a large Pakistani community. Outside of London you don't really get large black immigrant communities in the UK. Most of their arguments are based on white working class people being neglected in these towns whereas the Muslim/Asian population tend to do slightly better.

ReputationRep:
    They have a lot of support in Northern towns where there is a large Pakistani community. Outside of London you don't really get large black immigrant communities in the UK. Most of their arguments are based on white working class people being neglected in these towns whereas the Muslim/Asian population tend to do slightly better.
    Listen if you think that the EDL are campaigners for housing and jobs for the English working class, then you are lying to yourself. It is about Islam and its influences on British society.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forgot the Muslamic ray guns.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Muslamic?

ReputationRep:
    FAIL

ReputationRep:
    Listen if you think that the EDL are campaigners for housing and jobs for the English working class, then you are lying to yourself. It is about Islam and its influences on British society.
    Like I said, that's their motto correct but it isn't why the vast majority of people join the EDL. Why is it a predominantly white, male, working class movement then?

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, that's their motto correct but it isn't why the vast majority of people join the EDL. Why is it a predominantly white, male, working class movement then?
    I think you are trying to kid yourself that there is not a growing resentment of Islam in the British public eye. Working class, Middle class and Upper class alike. I think you are trying to pin irrelevent issues to the EDL movement when it is further from the truth than that.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are trying to kid yourself that there is not a growing resentment of Islam in the British public eye. Working class, Middle class and Upper class alike. I think you are trying to pin irrelevent issues to the EDL movement when it is further from the truth than that.
    You're the one who is deluded here when you can't work out the simple fact that the EDL are predominantly a white, working class movement with very few members who are middle class or from ethnic minorities. Why is the massive white middle class population non-existent in the EDL if this is a national issue?

ReputationRep:
    You're the one who is deluded here when you can't work out the simple fact that the EDL are predominantly a white, working class movement with very few members who are middle class or from ethnic minorities. Why is the massive white middle class population non-existent in the EDL if this is a national issue?
    The EDL do not singly represent growing resentment against Islam in Europe. The EDL are idiots which is why a lot of uneducated white working class composes its ranks. However growing anti Islamic sentiment can be found in all europeans countries across all classes and demographics

ReputationRep:
    The EDL do not singly represent growing resentment against Islam in Europe. The EDL are idiots which is why a lot of uneducated white working class composes its ranks.
    Glad we agree.

However growing anti Islamic sentiment can be found in all europeans countries across all classes and demographics
    And? This thread is about the EDL.

ReputationRep:
    Glad we agree.

And? This thread is about the EDL.
    To understand why white working class people join the EDL, do you not think it is pertinent to discuss overall growing anti-islamic sentiment in Britain and Europe ?

ReputationRep:
    To understand why white working class people join the EDL, do you not think it is pertinent to discuss overall growing anti-islamic sentiment in Britain and Europe ?
    Nope. If we were talking about a mainstream group with members from a cross-section of British/European society (maybe something like Geert Wilders) then I'd agree. With the EDL we're talking about a very specific subculture in the UK which is actually ridiculed by mainstream society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    Rape gangs.
    Three weeks too late...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I searched the thread and only 2 people or something had mentioned it and no one seemed to respond.
    Ithink everybody knew what he meant, but it was just a chanceto blow something completely out of proportion.

He's an idiot. So are most of, if not all of the EDL. Everybody knows that, but this was an oppurtunity to point and laugh and for people suffering from low self esteem to feel better about themselves. So they took it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steph90)
    Ithink everybody knew what he meant, but it was just a chanceto blow something completely out of proportion.

He's an idiot. So are most of, if not all of the EDL. Everybody knows that, but this was an oppurtunity to point and laugh and for people suffering from low self esteem to feel better about themselves. So they took it.
    I think it also constitutes an attempt to force a meme.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.