Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im thinking of dying my hair with a home hair dying kit, I have never dyed my hair before and my mum think it would be safer to go to a hairdressers. So what do you think would be better? and Have you ever dyed your own hair?

Rachel xx (:

ReputationRep:
    Do which ever you want...although because it would be your first time... be prepared to take extra caution so you dont get it anywhere else. Put something like vaseline around your hair line and ears....and dye in small sections so you dont miss places.

I've dyed my hair a few times on my own..the first time was actually a lot easier than i thought it would be. :dontknow: I just think it's really handy if you know how to do it yourself too

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, that helps alot (:

ReputationRep:
    Depends - brown to blonde def hairdresser
    blonde to brown or darker then yourself.

complete change e.g. pink then hairdresser or you will look odd.

Trust me on these ones.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I'm dark blonde and want to go a little darker so i will probably try myself (:

ReputationRep:
    DIY I have done since I was 12. I swear by Nice N Easy, it always gives a really natural looking colour for me, no matter what shade it is (I've had black, brown, ginger and now blonde) and it's so easy to apply, you don't even have to worry about getting it on your skin because it washes off so easily!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i was going to go for Nice N Easy, I'll just try and convince my mum now ha ha (:

ReputationRep:
    Iv had a few hair disasters by doing it myself!!! Since then iv been extra cautious and always go to a hairdresser! I love my hair too much to risk any more disasters!

ReputationRep:
    if its a subtle change darker, you can definitely manage yourself!

also how long is your hair? cause they really mean it when they say on the box to use two packs if your hair is longer than shoulder-length, especially if its thick. you can't put too much on, and sorting out patches is a *****

I've had bad results with nice'n'easy before, the colour came out a bit... OTT. didn't look "natural". I'd recommend Loreal casting creme.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the hairdressers.

Twice I've tried dying my hair darker from a medium blonde to a chocolate brown and it didn't work, it turned darker but barely, no one could even tell I'd dyed it, on close inspection it looked ginger and it had taken some effect as my natural highlights were gone so it was a complete colour.

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever dyed my own hair. Definitely test the solutions out on a small part of your skin first to make sure you don't have a reaction, but then just go for it.

If you get any mixture on your forehead/neck/ears/back, wash it off asap to avoid marks from staying. Dying your hair is really easy, but if you have dark hair, leave the dye in for the maximum suggested time.

ReputationRep:
    Do It Yourself if you're going from lighter to darker. I swear by Nice n Easy by Clairol, the colours are so natural and rich. However if you look in the mirror before the actual dying time is up and your hair looks particularly black, jump in the shower pronto as some people's hair can be really porous and *grab* colour easily. They say always go for one shade lighter than you actually want to be. Good luck, post pics if you do do it !

ReputationRep:
    If you're just doing an all over dark colour you can probably get away with doing it yourself
    when you do though get your mum to check it's not all over your ears etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelxxLou)
    Yeah i was going to go for Nice N Easy, I'll just try and convince my mum now ha ha (:
    i think you should go for that too. good luck with the mum bit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelxxLou)
    Im thinking of dying my hair with a home hair dying kit, I have never dyed my hair before and my mum think it would be safer to go to a hairdressers. So what do you think would be better? and Have you ever dyed your own hair?

Rachel xx (:
    if it is particularly long then i'd say avoid doing it yourself.

always enlist the help of professionals when using chemicals, everybody! ;D

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.