Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sheffield is a great city to study in, I can't speak for University of Sheffield since i go to Hallam. Both seem to be doing the PGdip at the moment.

I am not a fan of the classroom teaching they do here I think they could teach more science but that could just be because i come from a science background. I guess they expect us to do a lot more self directed study as postgraduate students.

The placements are great. I know at Hallam we get exposed to a lot more placement areas than UoS. They do 4 very long placements from what ive heard Hallam do shorter placements in more areas. Just be aware that you will be placed outside of Sheffield at some point. Having to travel to Doncaster, Barnsley, Rotherham or Basetlaw.

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I just received conditional offer from Hallam..I need to SATISFACTORILY COMPLETE REQUIREMENTS OF APEL PORTFOLIO to get a place....
    does anyone know what this APEL portfolio is exactly?Is it a test or an essay form to write??

also, I applied for Sept 2011 course.. they offered me a place for Sept 2012... that`s weird.. I was told they had no more places for this year, but they didn`t want to reject people who they were happy with at the interview..
    I`m a bit disappointed as I really wanted to start this year...

anyone got the same offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stigma56)
    Hi!
    I just received conditional offer from Hallam..I need to SATISFACTORILY COMPLETE REQUIREMENTS OF APEL PORTFOLIO to get a place....
    does anyone know what this APEL portfolio is exactly?Is it a test or an essay form to write??

also, I applied for Sept 2011 course.. they offered me a place for Sept 2012... that`s weird.. I was told they had no more places for this year, but they didn`t want to reject people who they were happy with at the interview..

The bloody APEL thing is really annoying. It's basicly a portfolio of evidence from your first degree and any work experiance you have that can prove you meet some of the requirements for entery onto the course. Such as having a degree i kid you not they want me to include things like module aims and objectives and things when i think a degree certificate and a grade breakdown covers what i studied nicely. So Job descriptions, copies of old course work things like that get included in it. The university should send you a list of points its meant to cover. My year had to do it after we had been accepted and started the course. Most of us still havent finished it.

ReputationRep:
    Thanx Cragdale

well, I was studying English for my degree... I wonder how can I find any modules that could show relevance to nursing course I had history, methodology, phonetics, descriptive grammar and other lectures that are basically NO USE for nursing course..

But they told me that the first degree DOESN`T have to be necessary related to nursing (although it was preferable), so how come now they suddenly want me to show that my previous course gave me some considerable skills etc for nursing..

I hope it takes into account also some work experience.. as I have been working as a personal carer for a long time..

ReputationRep:
    Work experiance is fine. Just include as much as you can about that. They also like you to look at transferable skills. So there will be stuff relevent from your dregree. Critical thinking, research skills things like that. And they love it if you bang on about communication skills.

Dont worry too much about it. Ive got 9 months left of my course and still haven't finished it. And the course will mean you gain more of the skills needed for nursing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply Sarah!
    I'm currently in Manchester and was looking to move to the place I'd be doing the course.

I guess I definately would be more comfortable outside of London, financially and would have preferred Sheffield Hallam as it's not further up north. At the same time I've already been told by them I'd need to apply through clearing for this Septmber's intake as the places are already full. I would much rather start the course this year or next January If there are no changes to funding. Applying through clearing also scares me in the sense of having to look for lastminute accommodation etc.

I thought staying in London would be a do-able but I guess I'm going to see if I get ant offers anywhere first and then start doing research into the feasibility of it all afterwards.

Thanks Cragdale for your help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stigma56)
    Hi!

Well done and congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    tahnx Cragdale for all your help

..and thanx MissTee

I`ll celebrate only when I am sure I got the place, though

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have received an offer for the PgDip Adult Nursing at University of Sheffield this year. Just wondered if anybody else is going to be doing this too?

Alison

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lemonjo
    Are any of you starting the pgdip Adult nursing course in Sheffield on August 22nd?!
    Suziex

ReputationRep:
    hello there!!
    im currently on the PgDip at sheffield! doing the APEL portfolio was a pain! you have to map your experience to the learning outcomes of the course to show you have partially achieved them!! its not as easy as ppl think it is! Also, it does matter as it has now got to be completed before you are offered a place ....you used to do it alongside the course but they dont do that anymore!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarahprsmith)
    Hello eveyone,
    nice to have some other people that have applied for the pg diploma for nursing. I've applied the child branch at City and Kings. Got a place for City starting September.
    Kings sounds like a great place to study it but i wouldn't meet the 575 hours of healthcare experience in my current job as a nanny.
    MissTee, it must be a hard decision to make about when to apply. If you apply now you have nothing to lose and it does keep your options open for September. I know that the funding could change, hard to
    know how much though. Hope you get your reference soon
    Somersetblue sounds like you're well on the way to completing your 575 hours, plenty of time till August.
    Feel excited at the prospect of studying again.
    Hi Sarah, i've applied for the PGDip Childrens Branch at City, and i'm due to start in Sept. I've spoken to other members studying the BSc and they start on 5th of Sept, I was wondering whether you had any further information about the course yet. I'm eager to find out as much as I can so that I can start to make plans etc. Perhaps i'm being too eager, but I honestly cannot wait to start!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KatieTupps)
    Hi Sarah, i've applied for the PGDip Childrens Branch at City, and i'm due to start in Sept. I've spoken to other members studying the BSc and they start on 5th of Sept, I was wondering whether you had any further information about the course yet. I'm eager to find out as much as I can so that I can start to make plans etc. Perhaps i'm being too eager, but I honestly cannot wait to start!!

Hello,
    Think i start 5th september to for pg child branch. I really don't have any further info about the course at the moment. I am tempted to ask a few questions, if you email Leah Wong she has been really fast at getting back to me.
    Think it's good to be eager, i can't wait to start either. Savouring my last moments of total freedom at the moment though. I guess we find most things out when we start. I have some questions about placements, how they work etc. If we have them while at the same time as being in uni.
    Are you in London at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I'll be living in south east london (hopefully Norwood Junction) so that I can travel to placement with ease. My family live in greater london/Surrey but it's a wee bit too far to travel into placement without losing the will to live from tiredness. What about yourself?

I did drop Leah an email, but I'll wait until after half-term and give the office a call. Really I'd like to know whether we will have contact time during placement (like you mentioned) and whether the uni allocate placements according to how far you will need to travel. I know that Kings try to reduce travel time for students, and this seems like a good idea. I'd also love to get my hands on a reading list to get my teeth into and begin to prepare myself. There is so much I'd like to know!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    I'll be living in south east london (hopefully Norwood Junction) so that I can travel to placement with ease. My family live in greater london/Surrey but it's a wee bit too far to travel into placement without losing the will to live from tiredness. What about yourself?

I did drop Leah an email, but I'll wait until after half-term and give the office a call. Really I'd like to know whether we will have contact time during placement (like you mentioned) and whether the uni allocate placements according to how far you will need to travel. I know that Kings try to reduce travel time for students, and this seems like a good idea. I'd also love to get my hands on a reading list to get my teeth into and begin to prepare myself. There is so much I'd like to know!
    Ok fairplay, i'm going to be living in South East London as well. At the moment live at home in Brighton but move up to live with my aunt end when the course begins. Yeah, it's a bit of a guessing game where placements could be. Hopefully not to far. Def is to far to travel in from Surrey each day.

I do wonder about the placements and how they work etc as well. But haven't gotton round to finding anything else out. I do remember them saying that the child placements are likely to be more spread out than the other branches. What date did you have your interview? I want to write down the questions i have to ask. What do you do at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    I work with children who are severely autistic at an independent primary school in south east London. It's great working with the children, but there's no room for progression and many of the children present with very challenging behaviours, and that is hard to deal with at times.

My interview was on 25th March.

If I get any information, then i'm happy to let you know on here. Happy to help a fellow student out!

ReputationRep:
    I work with children who are severely autistic at an independent primary school in south east London. It's great working with the children, but there's no room for progression and many of the children present with very challenging behaviours, and that is hard to deal with at times.

My interview was on 25th March.

If I get any information, then i'm happy to let you know on here. Happy to help a fellow student out!
    That sounds like really interesting work. I'm about to start a bit of voluntary work in a residential home for children with learning difficulties next week. At the moment i'm nannying for two young boys, they keep me busy in the morning!

Ok likewise if i find out anything else will let you know. well good luck with you preperation. Keep in touch on here, take it easy

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check up on how everyone's been getting on.

I've been offered a place at King's College for this September subject to my APEL approval. I'm now starting to look for accommodation but have found a few other girls on this forum in the same position too.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hey MissTee,

I've been offered a place at King's subject to APEL approval too! Were you at the selection day on Thursday 16th? I applied for the 2yr PGDip Nursing course.

I replied and accepted their offer, but don't know what's gonna happen from now. Accommodation, NHS bursary and course funding all have to be sorted out in a short space of time, so I hope the APEL thingy doesn't take too long! I have to move to London and get set up in time for the start of the course!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Lee

Yes, I was at the Selection Day on Thursday 16th too!. I was sitting at the front with the huge suitcase lol. I honestly thought I wasn't going to get an offer from them as I really felt I'd messed up my interview (my mind literally went blank and I gave the Most basic answers I could fish for in my head for 2/3 questions) and I was quite annoyed with myself as I'd already fallen in love with King's and it was now my top choice.

I was sooo excited though when I got the offer!
    I'm still waiting to get my APEL approved *fingers crossed it will be sooner than later*. The time we've got left to sort out accommodation, bursary and everything else is too little. I'm currently stuck in the accommodation crisis but have found another girl startign the Adult branch at King's this September. What are you going to do for accommodation? Any plans yet?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2011

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.