Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Its all a money making scheme, Apple gets some of the money from each sale so they don't really care unless its explicit material. :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    You do realise that Apple don't make the app right?
    Yes I know they don't make the app, however they approve of the app and will be making money as a result. With the consumer base Apple already have, they are more or less approving that Homosexuality is wrong and its something that can be "cured", that's where the problem lies in my opinion. Of course you have a choice on whether or not to download the app, but think about countless vulnerable people who have apple products who may or may not be influenced by the app. I just think its unnecessary.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, get over it. You don't have to buy it. This stuff is on the internet as well, but of course you didn't realise that as the media didn't whip up a stir over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    Or simply if they are kids messing about, they use this app
    Yeah, looks well exciting for kids to download.

I think it should stay, at least it's open about what it does. If it were deliberately trying to attract children or slipping messages in, then that would be objectionable.

ReputationRep:
    Its an app. If you dont like it, don't download it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdInWinter)
    I know this is a bit extreme, but it might as well be an anti muslim/jewish app etc.
    No, it might as well be a, "How to convert to a different religion" app. Doesn't sound nearly as objectionable when you stop sensationalising it, does it?

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me a bit of Amazon's 'paedo-guide' situation.

ReputationRep:
    What if people are bi-curious but want to be straight? Aren't they allowed to make themselves straight? Would doing so violate the rights of homosexuals?

Gay rights activists are just as bad as anti-homosexuality groups. Both are trying to force their own ideologies on others.

ReputationRep:
    So Apple don't allow apps made for adults with adult-related content, but they allow this prejudiced rubbish?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure people will want a straight cure now to convert people from straight to gay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    No, it might as well be a, "How to convert to a different religion" app. Doesn't sound nearly as objectionable when you stop sensationalising it, does it?
    That’s not the same thing.
    One you can choose your religion, but if you think like me you don't choose your sexuality.

Secondly I would be ok with a "How to convert to a different religion" app depending on how it’s presented.
    If it’s actually “how to convert” then fine, if its “pro whatever religion” that is also fine, but it wouldn’t be fine if it was saying become a part of this religion so you are “cured” from whatever you believed before as it wrong, As well as discriminating against what others believe.

ReputationRep:
    There are homosexuals out there that dislike the fact they are attracted to the same sex. So just stfu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sweetsista)
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ne?INTCMP=SRCH

I came across this in the news today. I think Apple should stick to making fancy Ipod, Ipads etc and leave people to their sexual preference. What say you?
    Don't like it don't buy it. Simple.

ReputationRep:
    It's hardly Apple's fault. I'm sure that they will pull the app once they become aware of it.

ReputationRep:
    lol 'curing' it.... Sigh, not all christians are like that / christianity isn't represented by that as a whole but some see it like that anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdInWinter)
    That’s not the same thing.
    One you can choose your religion, but if you think like me you don't choose your sexuality.

Secondly I would be ok with a "How to convert to a different religion" app depending on how it’s presented.
    If it’s actually “how to convert” then fine, if its “pro whatever religion” that is also fine, but it wouldn’t be fine if it was saying become a part of this religion so you are “cured” from whatever you believed before as it wrong, As well as discriminating against what others believe.
    Have you actually used the app? Do you know the exact language used? Or have you just read the media article?

How is it discriminating against what others believe? They are not going into schools saying these things. This is a downloadable app. People who want to try to change, whether it can work or not, have the option to. Those who do not want to change can choose not to download it. Really, what are they taking away from gay people who are happy being gay? Nothing.

Exodus International responded to the controversy to say that they, too, have been misrepresented.

"In no way, shape, or form is our message about trying to cure or do we try to promote that type of methodology or message," said Jeff Buchanan, the organization's senior director of church equipping and student ministries. "Really, the point of the application is to provide the material that is also on our Web site in smartphone format… We are helping those who have unwanted same-sex attractions. Those who are gay or identify themselves that way, in no way, shape, or form are we trying to speak to their position or trying to impose anything upon them."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doyle&TheFourFathers)
    aren't you the mentalist who told everyone about anubis and the egyptians?
    Yes. I am he. :dogt:

ReputationRep:
    Religion+technology never ends well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    What does the app even do?
    Read the user quotes from the Bible/Koran about how 'naughty' they're being probably.

ReputationRep:
    Apple have one of the strictest methods in place of approving Apps and they approved this? What the hell is wrong with them, they allow this as opposed to the stuff they have censored in the past.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.