Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If it's offensive then just don't purchase it. If no one buys it then it will dissapear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Have you actually used the app? Do you know the exact language used? Or have you just read the media article?

How is it discriminating against what others believe? They are not going into schools saying these things. This is a downloadable app. People who want to try to change, whether it can work or not, have the option to. Those who do not want to change can choose not to download it. Really, what are they taking away from gay people who are happy being gay? Nothing.
    1 - Of course they would say that crap! Its not like they would come out and openly admit they are being homophobic would they.

2 - Read the quote carefully. It essentially means the same thing as just saying "cure" or "change".

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty bigoted. It's not something that should be brushed aside either because it's things like this which can breed ignorance and bigotry on topics like homosexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Have you actually used the app? Do you know the exact language used? Or have you just read the media article?

How is it discriminating against what others believe? They are not going into schools saying these things. This is a downloadable app. People who want to try to change, whether it can work or not, have the option to. Those who do not want to change can choose not to download it. Really, what are they taking away from gay people who are happy being gay? Nothing.
    If you read my first post i said i don't know what the app is like, only reading the article, but my points still stands.

Anything suggesting that homosexuals needs to be cured is wrong, you cure illnesses, sugesting that sexual orientaion is an illness is ridiculous.
    Also sugesting that they need "freedom from homosexuality" is a stupid statement, they do no not have their sexuality forced upon them, if anything the app is hypocrytical to say that as that is kinda what they are trying to do.

I'm sure we all question our sexuality at some point, even if you are sure what your sexuality is...but questioning sexuality is not the same as being given an app for "People who want to try to change, whether it can work or not".
    I doubt the majority of people who download the app are not homosexuals who want to change.
    This is not me saying that some gay people do not want to change, we all feel different things, some may feel it wrong to be gay but if you have these feelings then it causes conflict with what you feel.

An oh they are not "taking anything away from them" i still stand that they are just putting more prejudice on the idea of homosexuality, as well as making people more ignorant to sexual orientation an homosexuality.

"How is it discriminating against what others believe? They are not going into schools saying these things".
    This is a ridiculous statement, someone i know may be a racist, just because they are not going into "schools" or other places saying things doesn't change that they are racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColdInWinter)
    If you read my first post i said i don't know what the app is like, only reading the article, but my points still stands.

Anything suggesting that homosexuals needs to be cured is wrong, you cure illnesses, sugesting that sexual orientaion is an illness is ridiculous.
    Also sugesting that they need "freedom from homosexuality" is a stupid statement, they do no not have their sexuality forced upon them, if anything the app is hypocrytical to say that as that is kinda what they are trying to do.

I'm sure we all question our sexuality at some point, even if you are sure what your sexuality is...but questioning sexuality is not the same as being given an app for "People who want to try to change, whether it can work or not".
    I doubt the majority of people who download the app are not homosexuals who want to change.
    This is not me saying that some gay people do not want to change, we all feel different things, some may feel it wrong to be gay but if you have these feelings then it causes conflict with what you feel.

An oh they are not "taking anything away from them" i still stand that they are just putting more prejudice on the idea of homosexuality, as well as making people more ignorant to sexual orientation an homosexuality.

"How is it discriminating against what others believe? They are not going into schools saying these things".
    This is a ridiculous statement, someone i know may be a racist, just because they are not going into "schools" or other places saying things doesn't change that they are racist.
    tl;dr. Basically you are against anything sharing different views on homosexuality to you. Boo hoo.

Oh, and by the way. Prejudice is different from discrimination. If I treat homosexuals exactly the way I treat straight people but think inside myself that it's wrong, how is that "discriminating" against them? It's not. l2vocabulary.

ReputationRep:
    If you are not gay then you don't really have a say in this at all. I was listening to a debate regarding this on the radio and many gay men were calling in telling people to stop complaining for them as a lot of them are in that situation where they would like to be straight, and if apps like this actually work, then it is an option for them. If you are gay and you're truly offended by it, then I'd say that it is not like its being forced upon you; if you're happy with your sexuality then fine, but not all homosexual people are, and that's a fact.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahaha finally, we have a decent app around here.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.