Turn on thread page Beta

Hiya there guys,

I'm going abroad for a year because of my language course.

I'm 21 years old and I feel pretty settled, I've got some (quite) close university friends, my family is amazing and I love my girlfriend more then ever.

When I first started my course, I was really looking forward to my year abroad, but now as it dawns closer...I'm scared.

I don't know what I'm scared of, but I just don't know if I can handle a year without my girlfriend. I'm scared she's going to change, maybe forget about me. We've spoken about this and she's scared I'M going to change and stuff.

I've never lived in another country, I moved away for university and I remember being lonely at the beginning but that was soon solved when I met her. We're pretty serious now and I feel like I don't want to be with anyone else apart from her.

I'm also a little concerned if any of my mates will even remember me. I know there's facebook and skype and stuff to keep in contact, but I'm just so used to having people close to me.

Anyone who's been abroad wanna tell me what it was like being on your own in a weird place where you don't know anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hiya there guys,

I'm going abroad for a year because of my language course.

I'm 21 years old and I feel pretty settled, I've got some (quite) close university friends, my family is amazing and I love my girlfriend more then ever.

When I first started my course, I was really looking forward to my year abroad, but now as it dawns closer...I'm scared.

I don't know what I'm scared of, but I just don't know if I can handle a year without my girlfriend. I'm scared she's going to change, maybe forget about me. We've spoken about this and she's scared I'M going to change and stuff.

I've never lived in another country, I moved away for university and I remember being lonely at the beginning but that was soon solved when I met her. We're pretty serious now and I feel like I don't want to be with anyone else apart from her.

I'm also a little concerned if any of my mates will even remember me. I know there's facebook and skype and stuff to keep in contact, but I'm just so used to having people close to me.

Anyone who's been abroad wanna tell me what it was like being on your own in a weird place where you don't know anyone?
    get a grip on yourself, it should be an exciting thing! you can still keep in touch with your gf, lots of people are long distance. im jealous of you, you're gonna have so much fun!

ReputationRep:
    I felt a bit like that before I went on my year abroad last year. I was scared to go and work somewhere where I wouldn't know anyone and was worried I'd lose the friends I'd made at uni. To be honest it was the best thing I ever did because I met some amazing people who I couldn't imagine not having in my life, it taught me a lot about myself. I think if you have a strong bond with the people who care about then you can make it work, regardless of whether people change or not. I changed a lot and my friends changed a lot on the year abroad. Some of us are less close now than we were and some of us weren't but I think it was all for the better.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.