Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I'm giving up on everything :( watch

Announcements

I'm in uni and I do enjoy the lifestyle of being a student however from day one I've hated university! The course itself is badly organized, the lecturers are awful and I just don't enjoy it at all. I've decided to apply for a different uni.

The thing is I'm just giving up on everything. I've probably spent half my time at home since the beginning of February, going home on a Friday afternoon and staying until Tuesday night. I've stayed in so many times when people have been going out, and when I do go out I always leave early. I really don't know why but I'm just giving up on friendships and lectures and everything. I've been doing my coursework and I'm getting it in on time but I didn't meet up with my coursework group so we could help each other. My flatmates and other mates were going out on St Patricks Day but I felt really depressed and really didn't wanna be with them, and I ended up missing out on a really good night. And because I always come home for days I miss out on loads then, too!

It's not like I've even got much at home, either. I can't wait for the next two weeks of lectures and then exams to be over and done with so I can just work all summer and be in one place permanently. I can't constantly stay in uni anymore, since after christmas I have been home so much, but when I come home I have nothing to do!

In a way I can't wait to go back to uni tomorrow because I can do whatever I like without having my family questioning it, but I also really don't want to go back either because I've given up so much like never going out anymore that I just get SO bored and makes me feel like what is the point in being there.

I'm not actually depressed but it feels it, I don't know why I've just decided to give up on everything all of a sudden. Because if I can't transfer uni then I will have to go back there next year, but it's probably gonna be bad cause I won't have any friends left or something

ReputationRep:
    just start doing all those things again. you say your given up and yet you miss going out and having fun. Stop going home so often and enjoy uni, it'l be over in 2 years and then you have to work... Just start doing the things you used to. Or even get into a hobby at uni, anything, something competitive to keep you going.

ReputationRep:
    Suck it up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Get laid.

I dont know how to get back into it. I've always had one particular close friend and a lot of other friends but that I only saw when everyone was out together but then it became so divided and I stuck with my close friend. Now she is leaving a month early for a placement. I don't know how to get back in touch with other people. I sometimes text a few people I know saying 'Are you out tonight' I did last thursday and never got a text back, and she was out. I haven't done anything to upset or annoy anyone because I haven't seen them in yonks! I've also given up because there's been a problem with accommodation and now I've ended up in a flat on my own, I don't particularly like the halls anyway so if I'm still there next year I'm considering going to different halls to try and make new friends but thats gonna be hard as a second year! :/

(Original post by saucysandra)
    Get laid.
    That was part of where it's gone wrong, getting too close to one person!
    I'm female not some geeky virgin guy who's never had sex...

ReputationRep:
    not some geeky virgin guy who's never had sex...
    Oh yes you are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    That was part of where it's gone wrong, getting too close to one person!
    I'm female not some geeky virgin guy who's never had sex...
    That's a bit harsh. I can only say that you deserve everything you're getting.

ReputationRep:
    What a noob

ReputationRep:
    The best thing to do is to get drunk and completely unload everything on a friend. I did that a few weeks ago and just talking about all my **** I had going on made me feel so much better.

Although I did the same thing yesterday and I just feel like crap, maybe because all my other friends refuse to face up to all the **** they have got going on and I don't feel comfortable around them a lot of the time now. I keep trying to deal with all my **** which is basically how much I hate being home (I love my parents and family to bits but our town is a ****hole and I haven't heard from any of my so called friends there in 7 months) and I never want to go back, and so having all my friends fighting, and feeling down and refusing to deal with anything really upset me because uni is what I love at the moment and I really like canterbury, and if it's uncomfortable here it just sucks.
    Everyone has problems, and it gets worse when you don't let it out, believe me I know. It might sound stupid but the morning after and you have talked about it to everyone a great weight feels lifted. After that just make more of an effort with the group of friends you have got.

ReputationRep:
    Are you living in dorms? Why not get chatting to your housemates again if so to help you on the social side of things? It's easier said than done but try to force yourself to stay at uni at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Okay.

ReputationRep:
    Im sure it wouldnt be a problem for you to get back in touch with your other friends again...I have some friends who I've not talked to for a while...but when we occasionally meet up...we're back to normal again. I've not seen two close friends since last summer..and i'm looking forward to seeing them again when they're back

Find other things to do in your spare time....and you could easily make new friends if you change halls.

(Original post by MovingOn)
    Are you living in dorms? Why not get chatting to your housemates again if so to help you on the social side of things? It's easier said than done but try to force yourself to stay at uni at the weekend.
    Yeah I will try. I don't know them that well so feel awkward going out with them and all their friends, like I don't really know who I should be talking to.
    I don't know why this has happened but the huge group we used to go out in before christmas/start of this term has just stopped. My closest friends were seeing two guys who were friends and I never really got invited to go, they got to know loads more people then. I know I depended on them way too much to begin with but because they constantly do things in a pair its much easier for them to expand their friendships and get to know more people. I've even started smoking for a reason to leave my room sometimes, I sound SO sad and pathetic. Before I came to uni I had a life, but now when I come home the rest of my friends are in uni as well so there's nothing for me here either...

(Original post by When will I know?)
    Im sure it wouldnt be a problem for you to get back in touch with your other friends again...I have some friends who I've not talked to for a while...but when we occasionally meet up...we're back to normal again. I've not seen two close friends since last summer..and i'm looking forward to seeing them again when they're back

Find other things to do in your spare time....and you could easily make new friends if you change halls.
    That's a nice reply, thanks
    Well I changed flats within halls and made some new friends but I'm not close enough to them to be good friends with them. I've tried texting a girl on my course who also lives in halls who I was quite close to at one point but she doesn't seem interested in me, she's got close to other people now so there's no point trying with her tbh. I don't really know what I'm gonna do when my friend goes on placement. I'll just have to get really drunk then I won't care who I'm with. I just can't wait to leave to be honest, I wish I didn't feel that way but it's got to the point where I don't really care now

ReputationRep:
    what uni are you at? surely there's stuff to do in your city?

(Original post by RequiemForADream)
    what uni are you at? surely there's stuff to do in your city?
    Liverpool and yeah of course there is stuff to do.. but I'd feel like an idiot doing it on my own. I feel like people have just forgotten about me, people started doing things and didn't invite me or not letting me know what was going on and at that point we'd all just come back after christmas and I'd done absolutely nothing wrong. All I've ever been to these people is nice and pleasant.

All I do these days is go to the gym, food shopping, sit in my room on facebook, do coursework and go to the library. I haven't been out in nearly two weeks. I know people are doing coursework and stuff but when absolutely everyone is going out how come 1 out of about 15 people can't let me know?

ReputationRep:
    you're just a weak person. going out is irrelevant. focus on your ****ing degree. are you not at an educational institution?

ReputationRep:
    I know the feeling. Lately everything is getting to much to handle.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure you're not depressed? I would go see a medical professional, because I had a similar outlook on life and I now have some medication to get me through it, it really does help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.