Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women think their ugly when their not watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Wow, that is so sad. Some people are disgusting.
    I just don't understand what people would get out of it?

ReputationRep:
    Some say it because they're modest, others say it because they dig the typical 'Omgnoway, you're so hawt' compliments, whilst there are those who genuinely think they're on the unattractive list (maybe due to past insecurities, no previous relationships, or having prettier siblings D= )

ReputationRep:
    They should just say "thank you" and smile.

My friend used to do this, so I stop complimenting her, tired of the fight of "you are pretty","no I'm not, I'm fat and ugly". FFS!!! argh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Because some of us have been made to feel ugly often enough for the effects to linger even when logically you know it's not true any more
    Yeah pretty much this too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    FFS, I just dont get this, you tell them their sexy, gorgeus, pretty etc. But their like:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo I'm soo ugly, I'm butters, no one will want me" etc etc.

I just dont get it, even if a woman is really attractive they wont be able to comprehend it. FFS, I thought I had confidence issues, but these type of girls are 10 times worse.

Whats even more annoying, is when someone asks them out they go "he's not my type" WTF, you complain that you're ugly, then you spread the same sentiment to someone whos trying to get close to them.

Is it really difficult to find a girl whos unaware of her looks :confused: or are the majority of women like this help me out here :confused:

I'd go for an 'average' girl over a super hot girl, that was unsure about her appearance. Yeah, I think that because theres less drama involved
    attentionseekingitis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    I just don't understand what people would get out of it?
    Me neither..What can you do, eh.

ReputationRep:
    For me its because I compare myself to the best of the best (or what I consider the best of the best) and I just dont measure up to them. This will sound conceited but I know I'm better looking than most of the girls around me (in my town) but I dont want to be slightly better than average, I want to be a 10 too.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think the more someone compliments me, It makes me feel worse as I look for more faults.

Some people do just have really low self esteem and just don't know how to reply. It's not always attention seeking.

ReputationRep:
    :iiam: ...hmmm... this seems to be a classic case of attention seeking... :ms:

Maybe because every guy theyve been with has cheated on them or left them for the other girl, so no matter what you say we wont beleive you... we think youre lying or trying to make us feel better... Personally I cant take compliments, i seriously dont knwo how to respond to them.

ReputationRep:
    Competition is fierce, there is fine line between ugly and perfection.

ReputationRep:
    People who think they are genuinely unattractive probably open up to their insecurities because they feel self conscious and need reassurance, but some don't like to point out their imperfections for the fous would be drawn more towards them.

I really hate when girls KNOW that they're attractive and do it for attention seeking purposes only.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    FFS, I just dont get this, you tell them their sexy, gorgeus, pretty etc. But their like:

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoo I'm soo ugly, I'm butters, no one will want me" etc etc.

I just dont get it, even if a woman is really attractive they wont be able to comprehend it. FFS, I thought I had confidence issues, but these type of girls are 10 times worse.

Whats even more annoying, is when someone asks them out they go "he's not my type" WTF, you complain that you're ugly, then you spread the same sentiment to someone whos trying to get close to them.

Is it really difficult to find a girl whos unaware of her looks :confused: or are the majority of women like this help me out here :confused:

I'd go for an 'average' girl over a super hot girl, that was unsure about her appearance. Yeah, I think that because theres less drama involved
    Ever occured to you that they may just keep saying it so you'll compliment them more? I know loads of hot girls who do that, makes me wanna just go "oh okay then you're ugly as hell" just to shut them up.

But i do know some girls who are quite pretty (platonic friends, though, mind you) but obviously they compare themselves to women in magazines, etc. and they never think they're good enough.

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm hideously ugly most of the time. But at the same time, if someone compliments I'm not going to turn it down. I'm always polite and say thank you even though I'm thinking something entirely different in my mind. Just sayin'

ReputationRep:
    I always take a compliment gratefully, even if I don't necessarily think it's sincere. Just happy someone was bothered/caring enough to give one. They're like birthday cards.

ReputationRep:
    I get what you mean. Its like being ugly is cool now (like the other topic that says being poor is cool now that's why some rich/middle class people often say that they are poor)

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult. From my own experiences, there are people around me who tell me quite often that I "look hot today" etc etc. But then there are people, most notably my mother, who tell me I need to lose a bit of weight, that I'd look better as a size 8 rather than 10 and so on. I constantly get compared to my cousin who is model standard beautiful. When you get people telling you you're not good enough, you begin to lose trust in the ones that tell you that you are. When people compliment me, I say thank you, but on a level I feel like they do it because they feel obliged to, to make me feel better, and not because they actually mean it. I don't know if that made sense to anyone but that's how i feel about this whole issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    Media influences and shizz.
    Don't forget bullying and stuff, too. People are always saying how pretty I am and stuff but I can't always accept it because I had a period of god knows how long of this one girl deciding she hated me for no reason and then proceeded to tell me multiple times a day, every day how I ugly I was. I used to not be able to leave the house sometimes and just sat sobbing in my room because I thought I was too ugly to be seen.
    So there's stuff like that, too :dontknow:

But the main cause probably is the media and stuff, I suggest you have a look at this, it's really enlightening (the other episodes too)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9RDPcV4x4Y
    (not going to embed because it's a documentary i.e. an hour long! Worth watching, though
    I'd just like to say thank you very much for the link, it's great that a programme can help to break down the barriers of supposed 'beauty', and I really do hope it can help enlighten people to the fact that appearance really isn't everything!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peachykeen09)
    I feel like I'm hideously ugly most of the time. But at the same time, if someone compliments I'm not going to turn it down. I'm always polite and say thank you even though I'm thinking something entirely different in my mind. Just sayin'
    Hideously ugly?! Puhlease :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    It annoys and worries me. Especially if a hot girl thinks she is ugly , most girls do want to be attractive , it worries me to think what lengths they may be going through to become thier standard of attractive.

Such terms are subjective anyway. This can actually be a downfall , the openess to interperation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.