Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do women think their ugly when their not watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When your own father tells you you're ugly, you lose confidence in the people who tell you you're not.

Sometimes I look in the mirror and like what I see, sometimes I don't. Whatever it is though I don't go around seeking attention. Any compliment I receive gets a polite 'thank you' in return. After all, beauty's subjective and maybe they're actually being genuine, so I don't just want to throw it back in their face.

ReputationRep:
    Why are you an illiterate who doesn't understand the difference between they're and their?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but... females shouldn't regularly say this. I find it incredibly repetitive when the same female says "I'm ugly" 7 days a week. Yes... we know how you "think" about yourself. We know you are also wrong about yourself and tried to tell you this... but yeah carry on trying to get this attention!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool story bro)
    Why are you an illiterate who doesn't understand the difference between they're and their?
    aww, don't be so harsh the poster probably made a typo. and anyway, nobody's perfect

ReputationRep:
    If a girl has a zillion tagged photos of herself with 'ugly' written underneath, obviously she's fishing for compliments. Those type of people annoy me because it's so obvious yet people seem to cater for the attention seeking everytime.

Other genuinely pretty girls who don't seek attention then seem to think they're ugly because they don't get similar comments.

Aside from those who have been bullied or had their confidence knocked for reasons like the one above, most people though know exactly how attractive or otherwise they are.

ReputationRep:
    Low self esteem.
    Attention seeking.

or they are indeed ugly just that your taste in women aren't all that fantastic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Huskaris)
    For constant attention...
    I mean.. Because there are so many pressures on a girl to look good this days. Nevermind the fact the majority of those pressures come from other women.
    We never said they didn't. Doesn't mean they aren't still there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It pisses me off as well, there is a girl at uni who is genuinely stunning, all us guys are after and she is one of the prettiest girls here, and she kept on saying all day yesterday about how fat she was and ugly, and I don't know what the **** her standards are. I just don't get it.

Like you say guys have confidence issues, but that is nothing compared to women, and even the really fit ones. I don't know how skinny they want to be to actually always think they are fat. Too skinny looks awful dammit!
    shes probably fishing for compliments...

ReputationRep:
    I had many problems with thinking I wasn't attractive, but mostly because I went to an all girls school, where I wasn't (I never saw the point in making that much effort with my appearance for school, beyond looking presentable).

When I came to uni, it was worse, in a way, because I got almost no male attention except in ways I could rationalise away. Wasn't until very recently I started to feel pretty, and that's only my bf making sure I know he thinks that

ReputationRep:
    For the guys in here who are fed up with it so much, fight the media companies and magazines that perpetuate such demoralising images for women (and men) instead of trying to change people who have been damaged by years of insecurity.
    Stop buying fu**ing NUTS and Zoo; they're only ever going to perpetuate self-loathing for girls and guys. Stop commenting on how 'fit' other girls are if girls are right next to you. Think about what creates these problems before you post on forums complaining about 'attention-seeking girls'.

I agree, it is disheartening to hear your partner or just anyone that you deem beautiful not see themselves as such, but simply moaning about it is not going to change things.

Of course I won't deny there are girls and guys out there who revel in the compliment-fishing. But they can just take it or leave it.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    It may be because agreeing that myself is gorgeous is embarrassing?

So if you said to me 'You are fit' .. I will just go 'Nah, I am not'...

That's because I am shy and I dont want to sound boastful about my beauty.

Girls know that they are ugly or good looking, but the beautiful ones are just too shy to accept it.

However, I would not completely deny that I am ugly..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool story bro)
    Why are you trying to be a grammar nazi? I post too quick to notice when I make a mistake.

Go and fornicate yourself with a rusty knife.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, i don't get that. They can just dollop a load of make up on and most of the time it'll do the trick. I think it's when guys have that problem that it can get hard to brush away though

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's because when you see yourself in the mirror everyday, your face seems that much more ordinary and you find your flaws so much more easily.

ReputationRep:
    because things happen in their life that make them feel ugly and stop believing in themselves.

ReputationRep:
    'He's not my type' can mean just that. I can think of loads of guys, in my day to day life and celebrities, who I think are good-looking, but I don't find attractive. They're just not my type. Saying that someone is not your type doesn't always mean that you think you're better than that person. I can think of guys who are way better looking than me who I wouldn't go for because, you've guessed it, they just don't do it for me.

ReputationRep:
    Well if we ignore the attention whores I would say women who are attractive but genuinely do not think they are probably have perception issues or something other psychologically flawed. I mean, I do not know whether I am attractive to other people or not but to me I do actually think I am disgusting but that is because I suffer from a few mental illnesses that I'd rather not get into right now.
    To be fair I just do not really give a damn about it anymore, there's much more to me than my (lacking??) looks and I think people should start to think this way, sure, being attractive would be nice and it may be hard to look past the exterior, the 'costume' that you possess but it isn't what defines you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeLegg)
    For the guys in here who are fed up with it so much, fight the media companies and magazines that perpetuate such demoralising images for women (and men) instead of trying to change people who have been damaged by years of insecurity.
    Stop buying fu**ing NUTS and Zoo; they're only ever going to perpetuate self-loathing for girls and guys. Stop commenting on how 'fit' other girls are if girls are right next to you. Think about what creates these problems before you post on forums complaining about 'attention-seeking girls'.

I agree, it is disheartening to hear your partner or just anyone that you deem beautiful not see themselves as such, but simply moaning about it is not going to change things.

Of course I won't deny there are girls and guys out there who revel in the compliment-fishing. But they can just take it or leave it.
    I love you. :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticSkills)
    Why are you trying to be a grammar nazi? I post too quick to notice when I make a mistake.

Go and fornicate yourself with a rusty knife.
    Chav. I ****ing hate the labour government and the scumbags such as yourself it has produced.

ReputationRep:
    I have incredibly low self-esteem. I used to have a boyfriend who lowered my self esteem so much, by making jokes about how fat and ugly I was, up to the point I thought I needed him, because no one else would want me.
    I broke up with him in August, and started dating my current boyfriend in October. Even though I've been with him for nearly six months now, I still find it hard to believe when he calls me 'beautiful', etc.

Shows just how much someone can affect your opinion of yourself.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 30, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.