Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just got this email from Play.com

(Original post by Play.com)
    Dear Customer,
    Email Security Message

We are emailing all our customers to let you know that a company that handles part of our marketing communications has had a security breach. Unfortunately this has meant that some customer names and email addresses may have been compromised.

We take privacy and security very seriously and ensure all sensitive customer data is protected. Please be assured this issue has occurred outside of Play.com and no other personal customer information has been involved.

Please be assured we have taken every step to ensure this doesn’t happen again and accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused some of you.

Customer Advice

Please do be vigilant with your email and personal information when using the internet. At Play.com we will never ask you for information such as passwords, bank account details or credit card numbers. If you receive anything suspicious in your email, please do not click on any links and forward the email on to [email protected] for us to investigate.

Thank you for continuing to shop at Play.com and we look forward to serving you in the future.

Play.com Customer Service Team
    Confidentiality: This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are
    confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
    to whom they are addressed. If you have received this e-mail in error
    please notify the sender immediately and delete this message from your
    computer without further action. Any dissemination, distribution or
    copying of this message or any files transmitted with it by an
    unauthorised recipient is strictly prohibited.
    Viruses: This message has been swept for viruses but we cannot guarantee
    that this e-mail or its attachments are virus free nor accept
    responsibility for any virus inadvertently transmitted herewith.

Edit: It just occoured to me they didn't address me by my name so this may be fake.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be fake? It's from Play.com

ReputationRep:
    So they only have my name and the email associated with it? Good.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't look fake since they didn't ask for any personal information, the privacy email is correct too. I'd change your passwords and forget about it to be honest... not much else you can do really.

ReputationRep:
    I got the same email.
    Seems legit, as Windows Live recognised the domain of the email, as I get the email updates from them.

Besides, better to be safe than sorry....

ReputationRep:
    It dosen't concern me at all. The only details they have of me are about 3 years out of date,

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got this too. Can't say I read it though. I usually ignore all e-mails from Play.com as I don't think I've used the site for at least 5 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cybele)
    Why would it be fake? It's from Play.com
    Its ridiculously easy to fake a sender.

ReputationRep:
    It's not fake, I've had the same email.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.