Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Criminal law essay help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone.

I am about to start my first criminal essay, but very confused of how to construct the offences :confused:
    My cases have to do with 1) suffocation-> death 2) causing serious burns and 3) causing heart attack to an old man.
    If someone could give a hand with the possible offences, it will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could you give a little more information? The cases if you have them?

I assume 'causing an old man to have a heart attack' is a causation issue.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the reply!

Here is the exact essay question :

Wally, Zeb and Reena were friends at university. During freshers’ week they organised an initiation ceremony for new members of their student knitted footwear appreciation group, the Sock Soc. The initiation ceremony involved one of the organisers stuffing as many socks as possible into a new member’s mouth; requiring a new member to dodge flaming socks while singing the national anthem; and requiring a new member to order a pint of lager in a pub while wearing a sock pulled over his or her head. Aisha, Bob and Carla wanted to join Sock Soc. Unfortunately the initiation ceremony went badly wrong:

1. While Wally shouted encouragement, Zeb stuffed socks into Aisha’s mouth. After the third sock, Aisha appeared to have difficulty breathing, but indicated Zeb should continue. Zeb said, ‘just one more and then I’ll stop’ and started to put the sock in Aisha’s mouth. Aisha collapsed and died.

2. Reena soaked a pile of rolled-up socks in petrol. While Bob sang, Reena set light to sock-balls with her cigarette lighter and threw them at Bob. After a few minutes, Reena hit Bob on the head, setting light to his hair, as a result of which he suffered serious burns.

3. In the meantime, Carla pulled a sock over her head and went into the Lawyer’s Arms pub to order a pint of lager. To liven the prank up even more, she put her hand in her pocket and pretended to point a gun at the barman. The barman, who suffered from a weak heart, suffered a heart attack and died.

Discuss the criminal liability, if any, of Wally, Zeb, Reena and Carla.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victress)
    Thanks a lot for the reply!

Here is the exact essay question :

Wally, Zeb and Reena were friends at university. During freshers’ week they organised an initiation ceremony for new members of their student knitted footwear appreciation group, the Sock Soc. The initiation ceremony involved one of the organisers stuffing as many socks as possible into a new member’s mouth; requiring a new member to dodge flaming socks while singing the national anthem; and requiring a new member to order a pint of lager in a pub while wearing a sock pulled over his or her head. Aisha, Bob and Carla wanted to join Sock Soc. Unfortunately the initiation ceremony went badly wrong:

1. While Wally shouted encouragement, Zeb stuffed socks into Aisha’s mouth. After the third sock, Aisha appeared to have difficulty breathing, but indicated Zeb should continue. Zeb said, ‘just one more and then I’ll stop’ and started to put the sock in Aisha’s mouth. Aisha collapsed and died.

2. Reena soaked a pile of rolled-up socks in petrol. While Bob sang, Reena set light to sock-balls with her cigarette lighter and threw them at Bob. After a few minutes, Reena hit Bob on the head, setting light to his hair, as a result of which he suffered serious burns.

3. In the meantime, Carla pulled a sock over her head and went into the Lawyer’s Arms pub to order a pint of lager. To liven the prank up even more, she put her hand in her pocket and pretended to point a gun at the barman. The barman, who suffered from a weak heart, suffered a heart attack and died.

Discuss the criminal liability, if any, of Wally, Zeb, Reena and Carla.

Thanks
    1) Consider what substantial offence has been committed (murder, manslaughter, anything? Go through them in order, starting with the most serious) and if there is one, consider if there is joint liability or accessorial liability. Consider inchoate offences (briefly - conspiracy to cause GBH?)

2) Again, start with the most serious (S.18) and work your way down through non-fatal offences.

3) Again, start with murder and work your way down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gethsemane342)
    1) Consider what substantial offence has been committed (murder, manslaughter, anything? Go through them in order, starting with the most serious) and if there is one, consider if there is joint liability or accessorial liability. Consider inchoate offences (briefly - conspiracy to cause GBH?)

2) Again, start with the most serious (S.18) and work your way down through non-fatal offences.

Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Hi just out of curiosity is this an a level unit 2 exam just i recognise the question.

When you write your answer feel free to send it to me at [email protected] and ill provide you with some feedback.

I did this with a group of AS level students last year and it really helped. Ill also send you examples of a a grade essay with your feedback so you know what to aim for.

If you do send it at the bottom put your current attainment and target this will help me tailor the feedback

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gethsemane342)

University of Exeter lol! this is essay is definitely tough stuff!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 28, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.