Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone been to see their GP about depression before? Watch

Thinking of going to see my GP about feeling depressed recently and was wondering if anyone has done this before. If so, what did you say to them, and what was their response?

ReputationRep:
    Yes about five years ago when I was going through a lot of stuff at the time and finding it hard to cope. My gp at the time offered me counseling with a local councillor and I just explained how I felt and asked what he suggested.

I know some people don't feel counselors work however personally for me it was just what I needed
    I mean we all get run down mood wise at some point or another

x

ReputationRep:
    First GP: completely unsympathetic, insinuated I had a drug problem, told me to come back in two weeks but for obvious reasons I didn't bother.

Two years later second GP: totally lovely, very easy to talk to, put me on antidepressants straight away due to the severity of my depression. Third and fourth GPs also very sympathetic.

So I've had varied experiences, but the majority have been good. Don't worry too much about what to say to them - you can just tell them you think you're depressed and they'll ask you questions about your mood and lifestyle, and probably get you to fill in a brief questionnaire to give them an idea of how depressed you are.

If you're unlucky and get a bad GP don't do what I did, which was to give up and let myself get worse and worse til I couldn't stand it any more - just ask to see a different doctor, and try again.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

ReputationRep:
    LOADS of people do - is this a serious question? 1/4 people apparently at some point feel depressed - so you're not the only one!

You'll feel a lot better even just talking to someone!

ReputationRep:
    First GP - picked up there was a problem before I knew it myself (2008). Very sympathetic having been through similar problems herself but wasn't full of advice. Reffered me to NHS counselling for mildy depressed people - didn't help at all as the woman just shoved self help books at me.

First GP at Uni - useless - offered me beta blockers and basically told me to go.

Second GP at Uni - reffered me back to the NHS counselling for more of the same. But was slightly more hopeful we could solve things. Stopped seeing her because she was off work for weeks.

Third GP (now 2010) - instant refferal to pyschiatry.

Fourth GP - refferal to pyschology, also put me on anti depressents due to the severity of anxiety and low moods, remains the single best doctor I've ever met due to the small things she has done (i.e. letting me phone her for a chat if I can't get an appt).

I'd say go for it - they have dealt with all this and worse before. The worse you can find is that they don't help, in which case try someone new - sometimes you do have to shop around a bit.

I can't remember how I told my first GP - I think my mum came with me and started things off. Everyone else knows from reading past notes I think... Best thing to do is just to blurt out what's going: "I think I might have depression" etc might be the way to start it off

Good luck and hope things get better soon x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    LOADS of people do - is this a serious question? 1/4 people apparently at some point feel depressed - so you're not the only one!

You'll feel a lot better even just talking to someone!
    I think you'll find that its 1/4 have a mental health issue at some point of their life (variety of things including depression).

--

OP, I didn't go to my GP, was receiving counselling at school, stuff got worse then got referred by my school counsellor to CAMHS.

If you find it hard to talk, write it down and hand it to your GP if your struggling to get it out, it helps me in my sessions.

All the best.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i actually went a few weeks ago cause of exam anxiety. She doesn't like using medication so I've started reading some books from the library which are quite good. And following stephen fry on twitter helps too!

ReputationRep:
    Yes. My GP picked up there was a problem from the start. (I was originally seeing her for something else). She was very good, very sympathetic. We briefly spoke about meds but I was never put on any.

Feel free to PM me and ask me any questions.

PurpleConverse- I'm pretty sure you're right, I'm sure it's 1/4 people will suffer with a mental health condition at some point in their lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PurpleConverse)
    I think you'll find that its 1/4 have a mental health issue at some point of their life (variety of things including depression).

--

OP, I didn't go to my GP, was receiving counselling at school, stuff got worse then got referred by my school counsellor to CAMHS.

If you find it hard to talk, write it down and hand it to your GP if your struggling to get it out, it helps me in my sessions.

All the best.
    You know what - I actually knew that :p: - I even meant to write that - but was so tired at that point

thanks haha. Although tbh it's just an indicative statistic - not supposed to be 100% accurate

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 22, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.