Turn on thread page Beta

Gay couples adopting watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about this? I used to be against gay couples adopting without really thinking about why, and most people who are against it argue it would give children the idea that being gay is the norm and they may become gay to conform with their parents. I think this is a completely ridiculous notion since straight couples have gay kids.

After speaking to my best mate, who has had about 5 different parents in his lifetime, 2 of them gay, I've come to think it doesn't matter what sex or sexual preferences your parents have, its how much they care for you that matters.

EDIT: sorry for the really poor wording, cba to change it.

ReputationRep:
    i think most people would rather see a kid have a happy childhood with gay or straight parents rather than be alone.

ReputationRep:
    The quality of the gay adopters is often low though, thanks to mental instability inherent in gayness.
    If they were rigorously tested and verified perhaps but it's better just keeping the status quo (to save money) and giving kids to normal couples.

Congratulations OP...you are no longer homophobic.

(Original post by TreeSnake)
    The quality of the gay adopters is often low though, thanks to mental instability inherent in gayness.
    If they were rigorously tested and verified perhaps but it's better just keeping the status quo (to save money) and giving kids to normal couples.
    You still are though.

Edit: Alexinwonderland, you wanna explain to me what exactly you saw wrong with this post? Are you another homophobe? :eek: With all that ginger hair you have life should've taught you better than to discriminate against people for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    Really mental instability inherent in gayness - citations please?

I think that of course they should be able to adopt. They are people too, and deserve the opportunity to be parents as well. As long as the child is provided for and treated well I don't care who the parents are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morecambebay)
    Congratulations OP...you are no longer homophobic.
    Do I get a medal?

(Original post by ----------)
    Do I get a medal?
    You get to feel smug

ReputationRep:
    That should be the norm for straight couples trying for kids then.

Some people honestly don't deserve them - the amount of people I see hitting and shouting at their kids in public is terrible. I was serving a woman at work once and she made her 8 year old son cry, I felt so sorry for him. You could just tell it must've been hell to have her as a mother.

ReputationRep:
    You get to feel smug
    On a side note, your profile name made me think of this:

The only time I went to Morecambe bay was to go to the cinema where that big Morrison's is and that big gaming arcade place a few years ago with my friends on a school trip. We went into the Burger King next door and i'll never forget the experience as long as I live. There were two fat bald twins working there, with shirts way too small for them so they only went down to their belly buttons. The one twin went over to one of the bins to take the bag out, he unlocked it and opened it and a huge pileup of rubbish fell round his feet, so without changing his expression he just stepped back and walked behind the counter. Outside there were four 12 year olds pushing a car with a younger kid inside driving it, and there was a woman crying in the corner (I swear to you I'm not making this up). After waiting for them to give us our food, we walked out and I took one final glance at the place, there was a huge hole in the roof where there must have been a fire, and the K was half melted. The whole atmosphere of the place was like something out of erasorhead, or what life is like after you get a dementor kiss (Harry Potter is the bomb)

So...yea

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind/care as long as the gay couple don't see the kid as a novelty or a way to ''fit in''.

On a side note, your profile name made me think of this:

The only time I went to Morecambe bay was to go to the cinema where that big Morrison's is and that big gaming arcade place a few years ago with my friends on a school trip. We went into the Burger King next door and i'll never forget the experience as long as I live. There were two fat bald twins working there, with shirts way too small for them so they only went down to their belly buttons. The one twin went over to one of the bins to take the bag out, he unlocked it and opened it and a huge pileup of rubbish fell round his feet, so without changing his expression he just stepped back and walked behind the counter. Outside there were four 12 year olds pushing a car with a younger kid inside driving it, and there was a woman crying in the corner (I swear to you I'm not making this up). After waiting for them to give us our food, we walked out and I took one final glance at the place, there was a huge hole in the roof where there must have been a fire, and the K was half melted. The whole atmosphere of the place was like something out of erasorhead, or what life is like after you get a dementor kiss (Harry Potter is the bomb)

So...yea

Im glad you found it interesting...I guess.

I take it you were one of those boarding school kids that they let loose every now and then?

The bowling alley seems to be a favourite at the moment, the look of shock on the poor things faces as they are handed their food on a paper plate is priceless.

ReputationRep:
    Im glad you found it interesting...I guess.

I take it you were one of those boarding school kids that they let loose every now and then?

The bowling alley seems to be a favourite at the moment, the look of shock on the poor things faces as they are handed their food on a paper plate is priceless.
    Na, just from the south :P

ReputationRep:
    I know that this video isn't technically linked to your point but I think you need a push in the right direction.

As for the topic, I have read statistical evidence (sadly from books so I can't source it directly here) that gay couples are just as good at raising children as heterosexual couples.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really agree with it because I think it puts the right of the gay couple to have children above the right of the child to grow up in a suitable environment.

The reality is that the child is going to grow up with a very confused concept of family and society and most likely be bullied throughout their childhood.

ReputationRep:
    It's fine as long as that environment doesn't negatively affect the child in any way, but I think it does.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=garethDT;30464348]I don't really agree with it because I think it puts the right of the gay couple to have children above the right of the child to grow up in a suitable environment.

The reality is that the child is going to grow up with a very confused concept of family and society and most likely be bullied throughout their childhood.[/QUOTE]

A child brought in in a family with domestic abuse and things like that will grow up with the same confused concept.

I think gay couples have every right to adopt, just because they cant physically have children with each other does not mean they wouldn't make wonderful parents. Just because you are straight doesn't mean you will be a better parents, there are certainly a large amount of straight couples who don't even deserve children.

ReputationRep:
    People are complicated... a home is a home and I dont know of anyone whose grown up with gay parents and have a problem with it... I would perhaps be more inclined to suggest children were of an age where their new family could be explained to them... 5? years perhaps? But I would also apply this to single parents...

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about this? I used to be against gay couples adopting without really thinking about why, and most people who are against it argue it would give children the idea that being gay is the norm and they may become gay to conform with their parents. I think this is a completely ridiculous notion since straight couples have gay kids.

After speaking to my best mate, who has had about 5 different parents in his lifetime, 2 of them gay, I've come to think it doesn't matter what sex or sexual preferences your parents have, its how much they care for you that matters.

EDIT: sorry for the really poor wording, cba to change it.
    I don't agree with it.

I'm not homophobic, I have no problem with gay/bi people, they're not hurting anyone. What two (or more) consenting adults get up to is none of my business. However, it may be a very confusing time for the child, having two dads for example. Naturally, that wouldn't happen. It could create all sorts of problems such as the lack of a mother/father figure, bullying about it, feeling 'different' to everyone else, etc. The list goes on.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they shouldn't, any couple that decides to adopt has made a commitment to provide and love that child, whether it's two men or two women doing it is irrelevant.

As for thinking it's the 'norm' what's the big problem? They'll still be aware of other heterosexual parents and come to realise their family might not fit conventional norms and accept it anyway. You can't teach a sexual preference anyway, just because your parents are gay/straight doesn't mean you'll be the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    I don't really agree with it because I think it puts the right of the gay couple to have children above the right of the child to grow up in a suitable environment.

The reality is that the child is going to grow up with a very confused concept of family and society and most likely be bullied throughout their childhood.
    What about the child's right to have a loving family and home? Or would you rather they stay in care because they might bullied by some snotty-nosed kids that can be dealt with by the school?

Family isn't about gender roles, it's about caring for one another. Why do people seem to forget this?

How would they be confused about society, exactly? What, they'd think gays were everywhere? Unless the child was kept locked up inside they would be exposed to the outside world enough to realise that straight people exist too. They would just be aware of homosexuality from a younger age.

Perhaps if gay parents were more common, bullying would be less likely. Besides, kids will always find something to bully others about, whether it be that they have gay parents, have no parents at all or something else equally arbitrary that has no effect on the bullies.

I used to have one girl constantly say that my family lived in a bin when she'd never actually met my family or been anywhere near my house :confused:

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.