Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mm_Minty)
    What about the child's right to have a loving family and home? Or would you rather they stay in care because they might bullied by some snotty-nosed kids that can be dealt with by the school?

Family isn't about gender roles, it's about caring for one another. Why do people seem to forget this?

How would they be confused about society, exactly? What, they'd think gays were everywhere? Unless the child was kept locked up inside they would be exposed to the outside world enough to realise that straight people exist too. They would just be aware of homosexuality from a younger age.

Perhaps if gay parents were more common, bullying would be less likely. Besides, kids will always find something to bully others about, whether it be that they have gay parents, have no parents at all or something else equally arbitrary that has no effect on the bullies.

I used to have one girl constantly say that my family lived in a bin when she'd never actually met my family or been anywhere near my house :confused:
    Gender roles are important because although both sexes are equal, they are not the same. Ideally the child would have parental balance, learning from both sexes and being fully aware of the gender roles of their mother and father. In having two mothers or two fathers, neither of which are their biological parents, the child is going to have very confused ideas of how to behave in society. How can your parents properly understand you if neither of them are the same gender as you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like the idea of gay parents and I'm not homophobic in any way I just think the child will suffer
    However while saying this I'd prefer a child to have gay parents that love them and care for them then straight abusive parents that don't give a monkeys about the child

I'd rather have a gay couple with a stable job and great education so is able to provide for their adopted child than some bums who lack education and can bearly look after themselves and/or abusive.

All this crap about gay parents turning children gay is BS, what about the straaight couples with gay children? would you kick up a fuuss about them? No you wouldn't would you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by garethDT)
    Gender roles are important because although both sexes are equal, they are not the same. Ideally the child would have parental balance, learning from both sexes and being fully aware of the gender roles of their mother and father. In having two mothers or two fathers, neither of which are their biological parents, the child is going to have very confused ideas of how to behave in society. How can your parents properly understand you if neither of them are the same gender as you?
    I never said they weren't important, I just said they weren't the be-all and end-all of family. And like I said before, the kid's not going to be locked up in the house all the time - they'll go to play school, school, friends houses etc if they don't learn gender roles from their parents, they'll learn it from their parents' friends, relatives etc, not to mention teachers, neighbours and people on tv.

How are they going to be confused? How are they not going to act appropriately? I really don't understand how having two parents of the same gender is going to make them socially inhibited or something.

Fair play that they wont always know exactly what a child of the opposite gender is going through but I'm sure they can still try and understand and even help. Just because a parent doesn't properly understand what you're going through doesn't mean they can't help - fathers can still help daughters, mothers can still help sons, straight parents can still help gay children, meat-eating parents can still help vegetarian children... the list goes on. Information is very readily available these days so whilst two mums may not know the experience of wet dreams, they can still know what they are and help their sons with them (and failing that, they can always ask a friend/relative for help).

ReputationRep:
    There is already a thread about this. I know because I remember wasting hours of my time on it.

Edit:
    Here it is. Go wild.

ReputationRep:
    What about the mormon bigamist families? Where are their rights to adopt? What about animals' right to adoption, like Romulus and Remus, and that Italian skanky she-wolf?

ReputationRep:
    Of course gay people should be allowed to adopt, (I spent ages arguging in another thread about this -_-) We can't have children any other way really, and if we are bringing the child into a loving home whats the problem?

The child getting bullied is not a good enough argument against it, the more it is accepted into society that gay couples can be parents the less bullying will happen, children also get bullied for a whole range of things, its sad but true, its about the parent teaching the child how to deal with it.

ReputationRep:
    I think that there are millions of children out there that would have the opportunity to have a family of their own. With two parents that love, care and provide for them.
    Are you suggesting that homosexuality is abnormal? While it may not be the majority it is certainly normal. While one could possibly explore their sexuality more openly and be exposed to a more liberal and open minded lifestyle than most… but the sexuality of the parents should not be a reason to keep a child that has no real home from attaining one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    I don't agree with it.

I'm not homophobic, I have no problem with gay/bi people, they're not hurting anyone. What two (or more) consenting adults get up to is none of my business. However, it may be a very confusing time for the child, having two dads for example. Naturally, that wouldn't happen. It could create all sorts of problems such as the lack of a mother/father figure, bullying about it, feeling 'different' to everyone else, etc. The list goes on.
    I don't think it'd be confusing for the kids. If you grow up with something then it becomes the norm. It's more a case of straight parents having to explain to their kids why James from school has two dads.
    Adults seem so concerned about what their children are exposed to these days when it comes to sexuality...let will play ignorant when it comes to what computer games/movies and tv shows they watch and how they dress.

As for the lack of a parenting figure, surely that's the case with single parents then? Should single adults be allowed to adopt?

And then you could take into account the fact that well, a single straight adult can always have a relationship and bring that missing parental figure into the relationship. Example - single mother gets a boyfriend who moves in with her 5 year old son and it's all happy families right?

But then what if the relationship breaks down? Surely it puts more strain on the child to have x amount of father figures coming in and out of his life right? Like with divorce - it can affect kids really badly.

And if it was more acceptable for gay people to adopt, surely there wouldn't be as much bullying about it since it'd become the norm. So what that Kirsty has two dads? Cos Alex has two mums as well.

This isn't really a personal attack on your comment or you..its more that the same points seem to come up again and again with topics like this and I think it's easy to have a very one sided view about it.:rolleyes:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.