Turn on thread page Beta

Question about losing weight + gaining muscle watch

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering today;

If someone were to reduce their daily calorie intake to quite small (have about 3 bowls of Special K + water a day - ~600 calories), thus they would be losing weight (I assume a lot of muscle aswell), what would happen if they went gym about 3/4 times a week as well, doing pure weight sessions (working all muscles on different days)?

When you reduce your calorie intake by that much, a lot of muscle is lost aswell as body fat, so by doing weights 3/4 times a week, what would happen to your body?

ReputationRep:
    you would lose even more muscle

600 calories + weights 3/4 times a week?

good night sweet prince...

ReputationRep:
    600 calories a day?
    And gym 4 times a week?

Well you'd probably die tbh. Even your average sedentary 15 year old girl needs over double that
    This is a silly idea, where did you get it from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by basketofsnakes)
    you would lose even more muscle

600 calories + weights 3/4 times a week?

good night sweet prince...
    I was talking about this with a mate today, I wasn't sure what would happen but he was pretty sure that it would counteract and you would lose weight, whilst losing little muscle.

We started talking about taking protein shakes as well as 600 calories, surely this would help you to lose less muscle as your calorie intake is reduced?

ReputationRep:
    Either way let us know what happens should you decide to do this, it could serve as a warning to others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHoly1)
    I was talking about this with a mate today, I wasn't sure what would happen but he was pretty sure that it would counteract and you would lose weight, whilst losing little muscle.

We started talking about taking protein shakes as well as 600 calories, surely this would help you to lose less muscle as your calorie intake is reduced?
    No protein shakes do not work like that. You want a healthy balanced diet with maybe a 5-10% calorie deficit and some good cardio.

Read the stickes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    Either way let us know what happens should you decide to do this, it could serve as a warning to others
    I don't think hes going to try doing this method, just talking hypothetically.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think hes going to try doing this method, just talking hypothetically.
    Hypothetically you'd do yourself serious harm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Militantbuthopeful)
    No protein shakes do not work like that. You want a healthy balanced diet with maybe a 5-10% calorie deficit and some good cardio.

Read the stickes
    Yeah, i've been trying to tell my friend that to lose weight, healthy diet + exercise is essential.

Atm, he's eating roughly 1500 calories (so he says) a day, and does gym about 2/3 times a week. I don't actually know what he eats atm, but I don't think hes going on this "diet" above haha

ReputationRep:

your mate is an idiot, seriously eating just 600 calories whilst lying in a bed all day will make you lose muscle, let alone lifting weights 3/4 times a week, protein shakes don't do **** if your diet isn't right

ReputationRep:
    you probably wouldnt be physically able to go gym that frequent eating that little. Sounds like you want to turn your fat (loose weight) into muscle.

Best advise, eat healthy! fruits veg etc, apparently 5 SMALL meals a day are better than 3! go gym couple of times 1 -2 a week, should be fit in no time

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.