Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    you know that IB score that is out of 45?

how is that grade made up?

is it the grade that you get from your exams added together? but what about the Extended essay and the internal assessment papers?
    :confused:
    im confused.. can someone please explain how the IB gives you your score?

thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Each subject is graded out of 7 (6*7 = 42)
    Core is worth 3:

EE is given A,B,C,D or E
    ToK essay is given A,B,C,D or E

AA is 3
    AB/BA is 3
    BB is 2
    CB is 1
    CC or below is 0

(this is if I remember the core MS correctly)

Brings you to a total of 45 (42+3)

ReputationRep:
    Slightly off for the core points there, it's worked out in a matrix like this:

http://xmltwo.ibo.org/dp2006-03/oxf-...tsMatrixEn.png

ReputationRep:
    Just to add a little bit;

Internal Assessments make up a percentage of the final grade in a subject. So, for example, geography is about 20% your Internal Assessment. Music is 50% practical, 20% an essay and 30% the actual exam. English is 60% the exam and 40% your oral, presentation, and world lit essay(s).

Not sure how accurate some of those are, but i think they're about right.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    okay because my teachers for this year dont really like me.. not like the hate me but they dont really favor me or anything and one teacher really really hates me for some reason... and I don't do fabulous in class either...
    im getting Bs =( its upsetting

but basically what you guys are saying is that as long as i do well on my Internal Assessment, Extended Essay, and Exams I will be fine?

Like my actual teachers dont give out the grades? Just IB graders??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norway_lover)
    okay because my teachers for this year dont really like me.. not like the hate me but they dont really favor me or anything and one teacher really really hates me for some reason... and I don't do fabulous in class either...
    im getting Bs =( its upsetting

but basically what you guys are saying is that as long as i do well on my Internal Assessment, Extended Essay, and Exams I will be fine?

Like my actual teachers dont give out the grades? Just IB graders??
    Well your grades ARE made up of the IAs, EE and exams ( plus TOK) so yeah
    Just make sure you keep up with your CAS aswell.

ReputationRep:
    i know but im talking about petty pop quizzes, tests, and projects that arent IB requirements.

I do well with my IAs and EE and TOK or anything I required by IB.

ReputationRep:
    i know but im talking about petty pop quizzes, tests, and projects that arent IB requirements.

I do well with my IAs and EE and TOK or anything I required by IB.
    Sure - The only thing your teachers can influence about your final grades are your IAs (hence the name internal assessment), but even those are moderated, so they cannot grade you down too much.

The only thing pop quizzes can affect are your predicted grades sent to the universities - if the teachers really dislike you or if you do not do very well over the first year, your predicted grades will not be anything spectacular... but you can always prove them wrong if you work hard enough for your finals

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but you see, you can't just say 'This doesn't matter, not doing it'. For example, there was a point this year I was typing a 2 A4 page geography essay at the very least once a week. Sure, not required, but i've now learnt how to write about all the stuff we've learnt.

_Kar.

ReputationRep:
    of course im NOT actaully not going to do it. While it might not affect my IB grade it still will affect my GPA which i will need for American universities
    but I just dont want to freak out of my getting a B in a class will affect my actual IB grade..

ReputationRep:
    of course im NOT actaully not going to do it. While it might not affect my IB grade it still will affect my GPA which i will need for American universities
    but I just dont want to freak out of my getting a B in a class will affect my actual IB grade..
    Er du norsk?

ReputationRep:
    nope haha. my friend made my username when i signed up for thestudentroom.
    shes OBSESSED with norway and shes only 10% Norwegian.. but she looks like the typical scandinavian.. you know blonde hair blue eyes, tall...
    not gunna lie im kind of jealous of her. haha

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Dear send me your email id i can help you about IB score

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.