Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

Has anyone applied and got admitted for PhD in US after studying Master's in UK ?

I will be doing Master's in UK this Fall and want to apply for PhD in US so I started studying my GRE since I need to apply for admission for 2012 this year itself.

The program will end in July or August and I am not sure if American universities will accept my final transcript that late.

Any suggestions or guidance is very much appreciated and Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    I'm interested in doing this too.. but don't American PhD programs make you do the full 6-7 years, completing their own Masters requirements along the way, even if you have one already? Or is it possible to skip the first year?

ReputationRep:
    Well that is first time I heard that. I won't mind doing it if I am able to get some sort of scholarship.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes it is possible to skip a year or two by having a masters, sometimes not. It depends on the masters and the PhD programme.

ReputationRep:
    I spoke to Univ of Virginia and Vanderbilt, they said admission can be given on performance however the final decision will be made in august.

Mind you the deadline will be Jan 15th 2012. So I will be having first semester results, GRE,TOEFL scores and hopefully recommendation letters.

ReputationRep:
    This is very common. In some areas (e.g. economics) the top UK masters are stronger than the US (and many top US universities don't offer terminal masters courses).

But for the masters to carry more weight in applications, you'll need to take a year out. If you start the masters in sept/oct and within a couple of months you have to apply, you won't be able to secure strong letters of recommendation from your current university and you won't be able to give them transcripts of your results. Another thing to keep in mind is what brownbear said -- if you go to a competitive US university, they'll probably make you do your masters work over again. But if you're fully funded that might be less of a concern.

I would take a year out after your UK masters if you're thinking of doing a PhD in the US.

ReputationRep:
    I see your point. Recommendation letters do make a lot of difference in applications and 3 months of a semester wont give any lecturer a clear idea of the student's capabilities.

But taking a Gap Year will add an extra year to complete phd and plus extra years if the university asks me to do masters. It will be like doing Medicine.

Should I then consider doing PhD in UK itself ?

What is prospectus of doing PhD in Cambridge and Oxford , maybe UCL or Edinburgh ?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

ReputationRep:
    This is relevant to my interests...in for reading later (sorry I can't offer help, OP).

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am an American student doing the reverse - I am doing a Masters in the Uk in Fall of 2011 and returning to the US in Fall of 2012 to apply for a PhD program (app due early Dec , 2012) .

Most schools will expect you to have completed the Masters and have your transcript usually no later than te application deadline date but of course it all depends on the individual school. Perhaps there is some special arrangement for intl students. I would suggest you email/call the admissions dept and confirm.

Also usally most schools do not require the GRE if you posess a Masters degree already (you may wanna double check with the school/prog you are applying to just to confirm). This is the case at my undergrad (UC Berkeley)

Best of luck.

(Original post by olympus123456)
    Hi everyone.

Has anyone applied and got admitted for PhD in US after studying Master's in UK ?

I will be doing Master's in UK this Fall and want to apply for PhD in US so I started studying my GRE since I need to apply for admission for 2012 this year itself.

The program will end in July or August and I am not sure if American universities will accept my final transcript that late.

Any suggestions or guidance is very much appreciated and Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calibear)
    Hi,
    I am an American student doing the reverse - I am doing a Masters in the Uk in Fall of 2011 and returning to the US in Fall of 2012 to apply for a PhD program (app due early Dec , 2012) .

Most schools will expect you to have completed the Masters and have your transcript usually no later than te application deadline date but of course it all depends on the individual school. Perhaps there is some special arrangement for intl students. I would suggest you email/call the admissions dept and confirm.

Also usally most schools do not require the GRE if you posess a Masters degree already (you may wanna double check with the school/prog you are applying to just to confirm). This is the case at my undergrad (UC Berkeley)

Best of luck.
    Oh so you will taking a gap year and then in 2013 u will begin ur PhD right ?

I contacted about 10 of the Universities and they all said I need to apply this year for the Fall 2012 PhD admission and that the decision will be based on undergrad degree which is not a problem since I had a good GPA.

GRE is a requirement , they all said the same but MIT hasn't replied yet and in my case I will need TOEFL too.

Although my worry now is, as one of the member said, is about recommendation letters. I can manage to get one from my undergrad university and I will need two from Master's university.

I too will be joining in Fall 2011 in one of the UK univerisites. Lectures will begin in September and as the way I see it , I will have speak to my advisors and lecturers about my plans ahead and ask them to evaluate me during the three month period to make a good recommendation.

ReputationRep:
    Just found out that -

The decision for PhD will be made on undergrad degree, GRE, recommendations. So it doesnt matter if my scores for first semester aren't out from Master's program. And once the first semester is over in December, transcript can be sent to them as an added bonus for our application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olympus123456)
    Just found out that -

The decision for PhD will be made on undergrad degree, GRE, recommendations. So it doesnt matter if my scores for first semester aren't out from Master's program. And once the first semester is over in December, transcript can be sent to them as an added bonus for our application.
    I can tell you that MIT do not require GRE (at least in the area I looked at).

Some of the issues you have raised are redundant given the fact that you should have to submit a writing sample and lengthy research proposal alongside your PhD application. While your masters transcript will not be useful in the application stage, you can always photocopy your coursework front sheets and send them in to give them an idea about how you are getting along.

Overmars's advice is the best so far.

ReputationRep:
    I'm an American student also considering doing a taught masters program in the UK and then applying for PhD programs in the US.

I'm hoping to get into a taught masters program for Fall 2012 entry and a PhD program for Fall 2014 entry. I think the poster who mentioned that you should wait a year out between the masters and the PhD application made a very good point.

I'm interested in applying to history programs. What subjects are the folks in this thread interested in studying?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing a taught masters in Film Studies in September, though I've yet to decide where exactly to go. Also planning on pursuing PhD in the states.

ReputationRep:
    I've researched about this, and what happens is that you should get a transcript from your masters institution (even though it has no marks in it, just a confirmation of the modules that you've registered), and they will consider this in your application (as someone who's studying their final year masters currently)

You don't have to wait for a year just because your masters' marks are not out yet. They will decide on your undergrad, GRE, recommendations and they will consider the fact that you're studying masters at that time and you will have a masters degree at the time you join their department.

Also don't forget the GRE Subject Tests (if available in the area you're applying to), as this can dramatically improve your admission chances in top US institutions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thinker03)
    I've researched about this, and what happens is that you should get a transcript from your masters institution (even though it has no marks in it, just a confirmation of the modules that you've registered), and they will consider this in your application (as someone who's studying their final year masters currently)

You don't have to wait for a year just because your masters' marks are not out yet. They will decide on your undergrad, GRE, recommendations and they will consider the fact that you're studying masters at that time and you will have a masters degree at the time you join their department.

Also don't forget the GRE Subject Tests (if available in the area you're applying to), as this can dramatically improve your admission chances in top US institutions.
    Yes, This is what I found out by contacting the Universities directly. The decision will be based on Undegrad transcript and etc etc.

I took a gap year after my bachelors and taking another one after Masters would really slow me down.

evantej and overmars are making good point but as the time goes by the competition level increases.

I am going to be doing MSc Bioelectronics (taught) and apply for PhD in Biomedical Engineering in USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thinker03)

No one suggested that you could not apply this way, but it might be determentail for a number of reasons: a good masters programme is really intense so you will struggle to find time to take the GRE; if you did not stay at the same university then your new referees might not know you too well; and the actual application process is quite expensive, time-consuming and the deadlines for some universities are quite earlier. For most people it is better to wait a year, then you have your marks, more free time, and better references and research proposals.

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    I'm gonna admit to fall-2011 MBA in uk n plannin to take Phd in us.............is it possible to take it by fall-2012 or spring-2013..........is there ny possibility of geting admission in us for Phd in management n business. help needed pls advise.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone.

I will be pursuing a Masters programme in economics in the uk starting this September. I intend to do my Phd following this from the US. I am an international student and the college from where I did my under graduation is not very well known outside my country. However the institution where I shall pursue my Masters is quite well known. Could any of you please tell me as to whether it would be wise to apply for a PhD straight away or take a break and apply in 2012.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candid)
    Hi everyone.

I will be pursuing a Masters programme in economics in the uk starting this September. I intend to do my Phd following this from the US. I am an international student and the college from where I did my under graduation is not very well known outside my country. However the institution where I shall pursue my Masters is quite well known. Could any of you please tell me as to whether it would be wise to apply for a PhD straight away or take a break and apply in 2012.
    It will be wise to take a break and then apply.

Your referees need time to evaluate you and one semester is not enough. If you need to apply for US for 2012 your application will start this year and be due by Dec. Its really short time. So it is better to apply a year later.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.