Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi....

I got offers to join the PhD in management program at Lancaster 2011/12. I got other offers from Manchester, warwick, liverpool, edinburgh and cranfield? Any recommendations.... I am a single mother-2 year child and have never been to UK before. For me , language is no barrier however

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,
    I attended Manchester Metropolitan, which is a big standard uk university, and I really enjoyed the course.
    Are you in linked in? I would like to join you on the net.

ReputationRep:
    I have an account on linked in, but to tell you the truth I have not been using it since a loooooooooooong time, so I even forgot my username and password

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,
    Anyway, after considering your personal situation, my advice is.....Lancaster.
    I am sure your kid will love, and you will get some extra pounds in the pocket (nursing...).
    How are you going to manage your stopage at your academic/consulting career?
    What are your professional plans after PhD? Do you think is worth to stop your professional career to go back to school? To me this kind of decisions are quite important.
    Best regards

ReputationRep:
    First things come first... haha, what do you mean by extra pounds in the pocket??? I am always receptive to advice if it has to do with saving money... ))

As for my academic/consulting the career... i am doing the phd because it is simply a step forward in my academic/comsulting career... I already have a masters, so the coming step, is to get a PhD from a top-notch school, through the process I am going to sharpen my skills as an academic researcher... Furthermore, my being in a university with strong industry links would provide me with more insights into consulting practices, esp. that my research topic in itself, is very real and needed in my country... so if i do good work, i have a better chance to be a consultant in that area....

ReputationRep:
    You look very focused on your career. I understand you must be around 30. Anyway congratulations for being so focused and working hard to achieve your personal vision.
    My case is quite different. As a practitioner in the international arena for almost 20 years, I am thinking to come back to school to enjoy research and try to develop an academic career to enable me to do what I loved since I was at university.
    Learning and sharing my experience are my goals.
    Regarding money, you said Warwick nursing was much more expensive than others unis.
    Regards

ReputationRep:
    This sounds interesting... I have always admired those people who are willing to try new things and learn new stuff, and switch their careers when they feel it is right to, and above all that they have the courage to do so...

Fortunately, - since I do not have this courage - I am glad that I made a right choice from the first start that I like the academic/consulting career and my preference have not changed then...

Best of luck to yourself, and let me know what your destination would be... they say. do what YOU like, right

ReputationRep:
    So, have you already decided? I think any of them are good enough, it is just a personal decision.

ReputationRep:
    Out of all 6, Warwick definitely has the best department when it comes to business/management/economics.
    After Warwick it will be Lancaster. So if you feel Lancaster is the place for you then you have nothing to worry about. All your choices are brilliant and have a decent reputation so all you need to do is just make a firm decision.

ReputationRep:
    For PhD, Cranfield and Manchester should be as great as Warwick. So, 'll put them on the same tier. Edinburgh and Lancaster a little behind them. Choose where you want to live in the next 3 or 4 years of your Phd life (you'll be traveling most of the time when you begin your research anyway) and the faculty or mentor you want to work with. If you are concentrating on finance, I'd recommend Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    thank you guys for the advice..... If am seeking a balance between a good school and a family-friendly env.,i feel Lancaster would be my first choice,followed by Warwick.... I think what I shall do now is to wait and see which of them would offer me decent funding... I am sure this will be the final word )

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I would not turn down a Warwick offer for Lancaster. There is a huge gap that separates between the two in terms of department strength, employer respect and brand name power. The huge gap that separates them is something I cannot deal with when choosing for a uni or program.

ReputationRep:
    to tell u the truth, big part of my choosing lancs over warwick is financial considerations. Warwick accomodation and daycare expenses 4 my daughter are almost 1.5 times that in Lancaster. Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lamiaelayouby)
    to tell u the truth, big part of my choosing lancs over warwick is financial considerations. Warwick accomodation and daycare expenses 4 my daughter are almost 1.5 times that in Lancaster. Is it worth it?
    I think it is worth the extra price. You'll gain that back once you start getting great offers coming out of Warwick PhD.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are right as well.... In the meantime, my intention is to wait for funding from those univerisities where I have been accepted. And then think to what extent can I cover the differencce in financing on my own expense

ReputationRep:
    Hello again,
    Did you finally choose?
    wish you all the best

ReputationRep:
    Hi,,,, well, I am afraid I could not secure funding from any of the universities ( they say competition was tough this year), except from Cranfield from which I am still expecting feedback early July... prayers needed....

ReputationRep:
    Excellent option!!!! So, we pray with you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 19, 2011

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.