Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi All!

Merc's new S-class has this Distronic system which (supposedly) detects obstacles on the way and automatically brakes the car and brings it to a stop...
    now, stren-tv (german tv channel) got the opportunity to test that, courtesy the Mercedes Benz Safety Centre engineers...
    the funniest part is that the system failed on live-tv and the brand new Merc crashed with a journalist at the wheel :eek: :eek:
    Check out the video at:
    http://www.stern.de/tv/sterntv/549835.html?nv=cp_L2_
    the whole thing is in German...The 3rd car is the latest S-class and it is the one which is spposed to stop...
    when the Merc crashes, u can hear the engineers say SH*t! Sh&t!!!! (in german..of course)
    wow! this video is gonna damage Merc's credibility a lot ( not that it has much these days... :rolleyes: )
    The engineer explained that since the studio was a steel structure, it confused the radar and thats why it dint work... :rolleyes:
    anyways, awesome video!!!
    EnjoYYYYYYYY!

ReputationRep:
    detects obstacles on the way and automatically brakes
    That sounds like such a bad idea its not even funny

ReputationRep:
    It is stupid as they found out it dont work in enclosed metal spaces. So that will be loading on ferries, garages, stuck between two vans etc etc.......................

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Jax_)
    It is stupid as they found out it dont work in enclosed metal spaces. So that will be loading on ferries, garages, stuck between two vans etc etc.......................
    But what a way to find out......
    i thought Mercedes engineers carried out rigorous testing of all the tech on their cars.....turns out they dont......
    and, i thought by now Merc would have paid loadsa money to get that video out from the website, but they havent :confused:
    no sign of damage control either....

ReputationRep:
    You mean when one fell over during the moose test?

ReputationRep:
    LOL it's like an application of adaptive cruise control, quite a cool system - worked when Tiff demoed it on Fifth Gear a few weeks ago - he nearly **** himself though cos he thought it wasn't going to brake - it really does wait till the last minute.

Anyway, I can't imagine that it's a design fault - more likely a failure on that particular car. Surely they must have worked on the system getting it working indoors in the factory/lab before manufacturing the cars - I seriously doubt that Mercedes work on their cars in tents...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    ...worked when Tiff demoed it on Fifth Gear a few weeks ago - he nearly **** himself though cos he thought it wasn't going to brake - it really does wait till the last minute...
    IIRC, Jason Plato tested it, and he applied the brakes himself, because he didnt trust it...

ReputationRep:
    It must have been Plato - Tiff would have definitely have crashed it!

ReputationRep:
    Better memory than me - perhaps it just doesn't work full stop then :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    Better memory than me - perhaps it just doesn't work full stop then :laugh:
    Well it is Mercedes...

ReputationRep:
    Fiat where going to introduce the adaptive cruse control on the stilo range back in 2001, but decided to cancel it, They didnt have the faith in the tech themselfs at that point (Probably would of found the equipment to have been Siemens VDO as well)

Its the same principle as the rear parking sensors, and they only have about a 15 meter range, if the front sensors are limited to that as well, thats dangeriously close to the car in front before it brakes. scary to me.

ReputationRep:
    It was a fake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pghstochaj)
    It was a fake.
    On what basis? It was on Top Gear so i'm guessing it was true.

ReputationRep:
    They also said the Clio II is no more on Top Gear last night, forgetting to mention that it will be sold for the next 2-3 years along side the Clio III before the new twingo comes out.

TG has been full of mistakes so far this series...

On what basis then, I guess I should explain myself.

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=12581

Or one of the numerous other pages talking about the sham. Obviously somebody doesn't like MB much.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, never expected it to be a set up - how stupid can Mercedes be! Thanks for posting the link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bmwm6)
    Hi All!

Merc's new S-class has this Distronic system which (supposedly) detects obstacles on the way and automatically brakes the car and brings it to a stop...
    now, stren-tv (german tv channel) got the opportunity to test that, courtesy the Mercedes Benz Safety Centre engineers...
    the funniest part is that the system failed on live-tv and the brand new Merc crashed with a journalist at the wheel :eek: :eek:
    Check out the video at:
    http://www.stern.de/tv/sterntv/549835.html?nv=cp_L2_
    the whole thing is in German...The 3rd car is the latest S-class and it is the one which is spposed to stop...
    when the Merc crashes, u can hear the engineers say SH*t! Sh&t!!!! (in german..of course)
    wow! this video is gonna damage Merc's credibility a lot ( not that it has much these days... :rolleyes: )
    The engineer explained that since the studio was a steel structure, it confused the radar and thats why it dint work... :rolleyes:
    anyways, awesome video!!!
    EnjoYYYYYYYY!
    Because the |S class always has new tech 10 years b4 every other car then does that mean we will be crashing more in 10 years, which is exactlly what mercedes are tryin 2 stop LMAO

ReputationRep:
    well it proves mercs saftey.

--------------

okay i lied it doesn't

ReputationRep:
    this would be posted by someone called bmwm6 lol.. sometimes mistakes do happen, personally i think mercedes/bmw are becoming less prestigious than they once were (probably due to newer mass production techniques costing the companies less but reducing the quality of the car) - buy an audi instead :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    this would be posted by someone called bmwm6 lol.. sometimes mistakes do happen, personally i think mercedes/bmw are becoming less prestigious than they once were (probably due to newer mass production techniques costing the companies less but reducing the quality of the car) - buy an audi instead :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3xhilaration)
    LOL more like the quality of the owner has reduced.

To have a prestigious car these days, you need to be looking at Ferrari, Maserati, Aston Martin, etc.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 7, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.