Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a few people in my family who have tattoos and though they are rather nice pieces of art I don't think they quite belong on people. Tattoos are a permanent commitment and something you'll have to learn to live with through both the young and the old stages of your life. it may also affect any job interview you have, makes you become easily recognizable, and gives a bit of an impression that you don't care so much for your body.

Your views please on any tattoos you may have, whether or not your regret getting a tattoo, or how a tattoo may have ruined certain things in your life.......

ReputationRep:
    It varies. I don't like colourful ones on girls, and I also don't like them in places where they are not easy to cover up but I love black, small ones and in places that you can cover up. I'm getting one on my hip in a few weeks :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I despise them.

ReputationRep:
    i like them and want more ive only got four,

would never get something on the hands, neck or face though.

ReputationRep:
    i hate tattoos because i think it looks unsightly.

the younger of my brothers has full-length sleeves on both arms,and i just think it looks as if his skin was damaged in a house fire... whereas one of my sisters has what can only be described as a trampstamp (meaningless tribal pattern it is as well. classy) -_-

....i just fail to see the wisdom in getting the 'art' permanently on your body. why not just have customised clothes with these darn tribal patterns, or whatever it is people like tatted on theirselves these days. then when the phase leaves you/you grow up you're not stuck with it.

ReputationRep:
    I like tattoos.
    Obviously there are some absolutely horrid ones, but there are some really amazing ones as well.

ReputationRep:
    I like tattoos, provided they aren't ridiculous designs or, like others have said, somewhere that cannot be concealed. I'm planning on getting one on my wrist for my birthday, I can look at it when I want to and hide it with a watch strap if needs be. Although I am tempted to get this work of art reproduced;

Spoiler:
    Show

=P

(Original post by anael)
    tattoos also cause skin cancer
    Nonsense, there is no link between tattooing and skin cancer. The closest thing to a cancer risk is people using unapproved inks with a high lead content, and there the fault lies with the person and not the process.

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of getting one, please, for the love of god, get it done by someone who knows what they're doing.

Spoiler:
    Show
    i.e. > Not the guy who did this

ReputationRep:
    Good if done well. My first one is good, but I'm going to a better artist for the next one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anael)
    tattoos is bad because in the society it is not well viewed.
    :facepalm2:

(Original post by anael)
    for example in my country if you have it you are regarded as a criminal.

(Original post by anael)
    tattoos also cause skin cancer

(Original post by anael)
    and by doing so you damage your epidermal tissues which protects your skin.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what, where, and how good the tattoo artist was. If it looks good, they like it and the artist did a good job, then I like. As long as it isn't on their face.

I'm contemplating getting one eventually... but as you say about jobs, it's going to be in an area generally hidden by work clothes. My primary school teacher had a few tattoos and it didn't stop her

ReputationRep:
    I have a small black one on my upper thigh - the general public can't see it unless I'm in a bikini or something and that's the way I like it. I'm getting another one on my ribs, prettymuch under my arm, again where it won't be visible unless I want it to be.

I like mine concealed and only on show when I choose, but frankly I wouldn't judge anyone on having a tattoo wherever they like it.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ skin cancer from tattoos... I'll wait for that to happen...

I love tattoos, fair enough some people don't like them or see any point in them, which is even true for myself as there are some terrible ones out there..

It's a shame society is still too uptight about them though, I mean how many years ago was it that a non-white person couldn't get a good job over a white person due to discrimination, yet a picture or pattern on your skin some 70 years later is still frowned upon and stereotyped...

ReputationRep:
    I think they're really cool, especially on this guy, who looks like Darth Maul.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...0&tx=89&ty=118

I think tattoo man is a pretty cool guy. Eh loves tattoos and doesn't afraid of anything.

ReputationRep:
    The right tattoo on the right person, on the right part of the body looks good.

I've seen some MINGING tattoos though.

ReputationRep:
    Some tattoos are minging, just as some are epic.

The same way some people are ****ing ugly, some hot and the same way that some people have great clothing taste and others have god awful taste. It's all totally subjective.

I have ten tattoos, including some pretty big ones... it has never ever held me back in terms of work or interviews, if you met me you would never dream that I had them under a suit, it's such a nonsensical arguement to say tattoos can hold you back from proper jobs. If you are interviewing for at least a half decent job you're going to be wearing a suit, and if you have tattoo's that you can see while wearing a suit... face/hands/neck then you are gonna be pretty committed to tattoos anyway and won't mind, or you are a mong.

ReputationRep:
    i think a good tattoo has personal meaning to you, however big / small it is when people start taking it to the extreme though it gets a bit pointless - like this guy:
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...1t:429,r:5,s:0
    i'm all for individuality but i think there comes a point where it verges on being a bit silleh. (Y)

ReputationRep:
    I like tattoos as long as they're not meaningless or just cliche. I think a lot of people get them for the sake of getting them, which is pointless. I have three and regret none of them.

ReputationRep:
    i don't care, since it doesn't affect me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dream Weaver)

lol.. if that's how his country's values are, who are you to say otherwise?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.