Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was 17 on the 9th march, i got my first tattoo. It's an traditional design of a gypsy skull with some roses. I have only got the outline and shading done and it was definately one of the best experiences of my life. People have said "you will regret that" but it took me a while to decide on it and i honestly don't think i will. I plan to get loads more and i think tattoos can tell a story. They can be sybols of different points in your life and i think that is cool.

ReputationRep:
    why do you think it gives the appearance that people with them don't care about their bodies?

ReputationRep:
    I hate tattoos because i think it looks unsightly.

ReputationRep:
    I think tats are amazing. I think it's a brilliant way of getting to know someone, each tattoo means something to that person, maybe to make the remember something (like a moral ect, not to buy catfood) or to signify a huge change in their life. They can be very personal. I love them, I think they are really hot on guys anywhere, and pretty hot on girls in the right place. I've wanted to get one for a while, but don't just want to get something random. Will wait for the right inspiration.

ReputationRep:
    I have a full sleeve on my right arm, I have and Idea for my left arm too.

Get it done properly, my mrs has a blob on her back because she let a friend do it, looks bad

I want her to get my name on her arse cheek, she says no

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driving-me-mad)
    I have a full sleeve on my right arm, I have and Idea for my left arm too.

Get it done properly, my mrs has a blob on her back because she let a friend do it, looks bad

I want her to get my name on her arse cheek, she says no
    What style? Any pics?

ReputationRep:
    Some of them look amazing, but I think the vast majority of people with them got them for the sake of having a tattoo, rather than it actually meaning anything.

Personally I'm too indecisive to ever get one - I wouldn't want to wear the same pair of jeans for the rest of my life, so why would I want the same picture?

When they're done properly and flow nicely, I think sleeves can look awesome on guys. (I hate half-arsed little tattoos.)

ReputationRep:
    not something I would ever consider having personally but I don't really mind them on other people. don't know if any of you will have watched LA ink but some they do on there are works of art!hate when people just have little stars drawn all over them though. or their own name :/

ReputationRep:
    it's a never ending argument - if you don't like tattoos then there isn't much that's going to change your mind. the majority of my friends are tattooed, and most of them quite heavily, so its something that seems reasonably normal to me.

there are a lot of tattoos that i don't like...for example, cartoons (mickey mouse/winnie the pooh etc), tribal (doesn't make sense...what TRIBE are you from?) and fairies (dunno why.) but i appreciate that people get tattoos and certain designs for their own reasons.

i resent that people still use the age old arguments about work opportunies and what they'll look like when you're old. i have a full time job in an office, and have 8 quite large and visible tattoos. doesn't affect my day to day life whatsoever, and i am always complimented on them. and when i'm 80, i think tattoos will be least of my problems. i highly doubt i'll be dancing around in mini skirts and bikinis then...

ReputationRep:
    ALSO tattoos don't cause skin cancer. that is a ridiculous statement.

ReputationRep:
    I love them on certain people but hate the cliche ones. My cousin got some random quote in a different language on her arm, it looks stupid imo.
    I really want to get my first one soon, just something small but i can't wait

ReputationRep:
    I love tattoos. Of course it all depends on what the design is, some things look absolutely foul whilst others look awesome. But yeah, generally speaking I love tattoos. I like mine

ReputationRep:
    I myself have two visible tattoos on my forearms (plain black). I have designed both of them, they are unique, each one means something special, has a hidden meaning. I am a girl, 20 years old. I got the first one more than two years ago, the second one just recently and I just can't describe how much I love them both! And I do live in a country where tattoos are a huge public no - you're either a criminal, a generally non-intelligent person or a freak... That's how it is in Slovakia (post-communistic country) and frankly, I don't give a damn. It was my personal choice, I'm not inked with a heart or a rose or a cross (not that these are somewhat bad, they are just common) or something everybody else has, and they are my way of expressing myself. I wanted to study at an art uni, but I ended up studying Translation studies for European Institutions. Since it's a linguistic course, teachers don't care about the looks, they care about what's in your head. There's a lots of prejudice from the people around me, but once they get to know me they realize I'm far from being a criminal and/or an idiot. I definitely do not regret getting them, I think I'd regret if I got my hand cut off or something and I had to live without them, don't think I'd able to do that anymore.

ReputationRep:
    I have one and I love it. And I know I will have to live with it forever. I considered it for 2 long years and made sure it was not meaningless. Its small and its on my upper thigh so its pretty much always hidden except when I'm in a bikini, which is virtually never. I plan to get another. My boyfriend has two and plans to get a third and I think they look really really nice on him.

ReputationRep:
    Forgive me, but I can't help but think...

..."that person would look so much better without those scribbles on them."

ReputationRep:
    I like good tattoos. Personally I'm getting my first whole sleeve this year. A tribute to Cypress Hill and I cant wait.

Tattoos dont ruin job interviews if you have them in appropiate places, for example all I have to do is where a long sleeve shirt.

And yes I will wear tshirts and show it off, it is a piece of art work and I cant wait to get it.

This is the 21st century. If you cant call 'coloured people' Black you most certainly can not be prejudice to someone with a tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    i like (good) tattoos
    not a fan of tramp stamps
    give (some) people unique...ness
    would get one but want to be a doctor eventually
    (are they frowned upon in the medical profession?)

ReputationRep:
    It can look good or bad depending on both the person and the tattoo. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    guuuuuuuuuuurd. especially on a chick's hip or chest :sexface: :perv:

ReputationRep:
    I'm mixed about tattoos. I have three myself, two which are quite small and can be quite easily covered up with clothing and/or jewelery : wrist (stars, and a dermal implant) and shoulder blade (butterfly) However, I have one that I absolutely detest, which is a lizard on my upper arm. I find it too large, slightly manly, and ugly. It's mainly covered, but means I don't like wearing strapless or very short sleeved tops or dresses. I'd give anything to have it removed, I don't know what I was thinking. :confused:

I hate all the meaningless tribal tattoos also, and the ones that go around arms like a bracelet. They're quite ugly. Some tattoos can look cool and be beautiful and interesting. I'd just say to consider it very, very carefully before committing though.

If we're talking about tattoos on men though - hot, hot, hot!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.